The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Phase One XF information at Photo Rumors

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Seems pretty accurate - I'd heard a while back from an accurate source that the VF was likely going to support waist level plus a bunch of folks have been or are going over to Copenhagen at the moment ...

I guess voidshatter probably won't get invited to any future Phase One events :ROTFL:

Paul2660

Sure hope they did some more R&D on the long exposure 80MP back which appears to be non CMOS. at least more than they did on the 260. Actually a lot more.

The real sleeper may be the new 35mm lens.

Paul

kdphotography

If the new 35mm LS is a home run, it just might cut into a few tech camera sales. Certainly a welcome addition to shore up the comparatively weak wide angle choices for Phase cameras.

ken

Shashin

Phase really needs to work on their camera design skills. It looks like something out of a danish design company that knows little about camera design--smart, unusual looking body that probably is not that great to work with. Either that, it it from their back designers that don't have great CAD skill. Fortunately, it looks like a cross between a Volvo and the DF--boxy but might have some functional design remaining from Mamiya (the original Mamiya).

Totally unimpressed if Phase thinks this is a good waist-level design. The body is designed for eye-level use.

Last edited:

Paul2660

As a owner of 2 Volvos, I like the look. Hoping they gave it a few more AF points than 1. The CMOS AF system sounds interesting.

Everyone knows my dream is for a tilting LCD either on camera or back. Back would be preferred.

I am sure they will do well with this especially if they got the AF right.

AND.....some kind of mirror damping along with allowing the focal plane shutter to open and lock up when using a LS lens.

Paul

kdphotography

Two Volvos, Paul? I don't know if we can hang out together anymore. :ROTFL:

It looks like it has some of those old Contax body lines to me. I'll take great AF performance, and that focal plane/LS dampening is a good one too. Mostly AF accuracy and I'll be happy. Even if it's as ugly as a Volvo, just so long as it isn't as ugly as a Pentax 645z...

:ROTFL:

ken

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Seems to me that they took the design cues directly from the IQ backs. Hardly an organic design but if it works as well as we hope and is easy to hold and use, it can be as FUGLY as it wants IMHO.

One question is whether it comes as a modular kit - ie without the right angle VF and associated electronics that I assume are in it. I guess we'll have to wait and find out in the next day or so.

Shashin

Seems to me that they took the design cues directly from the IQ backs. Hardly an organic design but if it works as well as we hope and is easy to hold and use, it can be as FUGLY as it wants IMHO.
I guess my question is did they design it to appear new, or did they work on it to make it a better camera? This seems to be a designer's camera, and given other designer's cameras that have hit the market, it might end up being a neat looking design, but not much beyond that. Call me a cynic, but the host of designer cameras like the Pentax K01, Ive's M, Hasselblad Lunar, PowerShot N have proven to be rather disappointing. (Fortunately, most designer cameras never make it out of prototyping--Minotla's Electro Zoom X, for example.) Given this Phase camera should be a working camera, I hope they really worked on its function rather than its style. I really hope they found a good camera design company that it going to address the aging DF+ and bring up to date.

tjv

I think it's looking very promising!
But what will be the cost of entry? If the 80mpx back isn't CMOS it's a tiny bit disappointing, but not unexpected. Am still hoping to buy into a system for work in the coming month, so will watch this space closely.

gerald.d

For me, this is the most intriguing of all the images out there.

Can anyone explain what that is about?

Significantly improved AF functionality was perhaps the most requested update to the DF+.

Kind regards,

Gerald.

kdphotography

I don't necessarily need a bajillion focus points.

Maybe just a few. But the ability to control which point and most importantly where I want the camera AF to focus accurately----is where I want my money to go.

yatlee

I was told the new 80MP is a full frame Sony CMOS sensor exclusive to Phase One. I'm wondering how long this exclusivity will run.

Shashin

The interesting thing about the backs, if the photos in the link are accurate, is they look to be a 2:3 aspect ratio rather than 4:3. You can't have a "full frame" 4.5x6 at 2:3.