The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Phase One News: XF Body, IQ3 backs, 35LS, 120LS, C1 8.3, Website

T.Dascalos

Not Available
"Share the battery" is misleading. The camera and back use the same type of battery, and if the back's battery -- for example -- is low, the back can draw power from the camera's battery.

But the camera will not function with only one battery in place.
Now... that's a feature worth buying! :deadhorse:

Mgreer316

Hi Doug,

Let's review your list.

I don't expect many will be buying a body by itself.
Well, if you want to get into medium format like I did 2 years ago, you have nothing to upgrade from. So you won't be eligible for upgrade pricing. As a company, it seems to me you want to expand your market, not just roll over your current customers. If I'm new to the market, I'm faced with a $30K+ investment vs. an $8000 investment for essentially the exact same imaging capability. At the end of the day, regardless of tethering capabilities and other listed advantages, you end up with an image. When the production of that image is driven by the same engine, well, a $20K+ difference is a tough one to comprehend.

Also, you can't list the price of the IQ150, but then list advantages that only manifest with the IQ2 or IQ3. If you're going to list those, them you have to throw the prices of those in the ring as well.

It is significantly less when bundled with a back, or when upgrading from a DF/DF+. Also you're significantly off on your pricing for a CMOS version.
I have a 645DF, please contact me with what my price on the XF would be. I'm VERY interested in what "significantly less" means.

Either way a P1 kit provides several major advantages over the 645Z:
- a line of 10 modern-design autofocus Schneider leaf shutter lenses with flash sync of 1/1600th*
I hope things are SIGNIFICANTLY better in the AF department because those lenses are practically useless to me when shooting shallow DOF as you have NO idea what the camera to grabbing as a focus point. AT such shallow DOFs it only takes a little bit to be off and have a useless image. My studio photographs people, fashion, models, etc. When I need to shallow DOF image I resort back to me 5D3. I simply cannot trust the 645DF. I PRAY the XF fixes this.
- very fast, robust, and professional tethering
This is super cool. But I have a question about this. Is this just have the IQ3 or will Credo 60 users experience this increased speed as well?
- support in Capture One including their world-class color profiles
You guys can keep saying this, but I've been making my money photographing people for going on 20 years. While C1 is certainly great, so is Lightroom. My Leaf Credo is a Phase One product, but I still use Lightroom to process as "I" see zero image quality advantages that C1 has and I prefer the Lightroom workflow. My point is I don't consider being able to use C1 a tangible advantage. Pentax users can use LR and not skip a beat.
- retina touch screen interface with the best set of image review tools on the market including focus mask, exposure warning, raw-file clipping indicator, zone exposure heat map, draggable guides, and toggle-able black and white review mode
- automatic perspective and keystone correction
- advanced body features such as the seismograph mode
- waist level viewfinder (including spot metering and autofocus)
- built-in wireless control, review, and editing (IQ2 and IQ3 only) with fast speed and native integration
- professional support with knowledgable dealers and options to purchase with a 5-year warranty that includes free loaner during any repairs/service.
- wide network of rental house, digital tech, and assistant availability and knowledge
- compatibility with view cameras and tech cameras
All of those are awesome. But we have to keep the price difference in mind. Are those advantages worth $500? DEFINITELY! Are they worth $1000? YES! Are they worth $5000? Hmm.... OK, maybe. Are they worth $10000? Now you're smoking something. Are they worth $20,000+ Now that's just crazy talk. Everything is worth something. The issue the the amount. Is Phase One gear worth a premium? I'd say yes. But again, how much of a premium is the question.

The robust rental market is a creation of the fact that MFD gear was so expensive. But with the 645z competing with the likes of the Nikon D4 and Canon 1DX in price, I know MANY are opting to own their own MFD gear via Pentax than to continue to rent. So is the ability to rent Phase One gear REALLY an advantage in today's landscape?

I think Phase One's premiums are insane. But that's just me talking. If you can get it, you'd be insane NOT to do so. My question is for how long can they continue their pricing model? Pentax is the current "problem" for their pricing model as I see it. But the bigger issue, the looming giant IMO is not, Nikon. Not Canon. But Sony. Time will tell.

stephengilbert

If you really want to know the cost, why not call a dealer?

It seems like these threads always seem to involve people venting about what they don't like.

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
By curiosity, I read that the only differences between the IQ3 and IQ2 is the ability to share the battery -- is it really all? (i.e. will the firmware upgrade on an IQ2 bring the advanced camera menu, exposure zone tool, for example).
For the 50mp and 60mp models power sharing is the only feature the IQ3 has which the IQ2 does not.

The IQ380 also offers a new Phase One exclusive sensor which provides long exposure capability, which is not available in the IQ280.

gerald.d

I find the "not many people will be in the market for the body alone" comment amazing.

What about every customer who has bought into Phase One in the last couple of years? People owning IQ2's are not going to be trading in their backs as well, surely?

T.Dascalos

Not Available
Ok... no use of your good old back on the new body, no multishot, no film and... no way to use your JAS adapter to share the lenses with your Nikons or Canons...

Gimme a reason why I should change my Contax 645 with Fuji GX680 (contax back fit) combination where I can share my 39mp 4x multishot able back and my other 22mp 16x able (again) multishot back (for 88mp of true color)... Don't tell me "Image quality" to start with.... I'm waiting... :watch:

Forgot anything? ...Oh yeah! ...maybe that superb OTF TTL flash metering of the Contax.

P.S. Don't tell me the WLF either... I had that 12 years ago when sold my Bronica for the Contax (along with the spot metering with WLF)... and long before that with the Bronica.

P.S.-2 And don't mention the JAS adapter either which allows me not to have any 35mm lens either in the (much restricted) bag ....other than my old 17-35/2.8 (for UWs) and micro 85/2.8 PC (for when Fuji is an overkill).

Shashin

Ok... no use of your good old back on the new body, no multishot, no film and... no way to use your JAS adapter to share the lenses with your Nikons or Canons...

Gimme a reason why I should change my Contax 645 with Fuji GX680 (contax back fit) combination where I can share my 39mp 4x multishot able back and my other 22mp 16x able (again) multishot back (for 88mp of true color)... Don't tell me "Image quality" to start with.... I'm waiting... :watch:

Forgot anything? ...Oh yeah! ...maybe that superb OTF TTL flash metering of the Contax.

P.S. Don't tell me the WLF either... I had that 12 years ago when sold my Bronica for the Contax (along with the spot metering with WLF)... and long before that with the Bronica.

P.S.-2 And don't mention the JAS adapter either which allows me not to have any 35mm lens either in the (much restricted) bag ....other than my old 17-35/2.8 (for UWs) and micro 85/2.8 PC (for when Fuji is an overkill).
A new camera announcement does not mean you need to drop your old system for a new one. Actually, I find it really odd that people look at product announcements as a reason to stop using what they are using, particularly if they are very happy with the camera and satisfied with the results.

T.Dascalos

Not Available
A new camera announcement does not mean you need to drop your old system for a new one. Actually, I find it really odd that people look at product announcements as a reason to stop using what they are using, particularly if they are very happy with the camera and satisfied with the results.
Most certainly so... but since one's bread may depend on retaining the use of his backs and C645 is getting older and the system is discontinued... It is reasonable for one looking to change platform for a "live" one... If C645 was "alive" there would be no problem... Don't you agree?

Still, having three bodies (and another for sale) I'm not in a rush... even hope for one to resurrect the system! Otherwise it will be H-platform... not P1!

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
+1 :thumbs:

Last I checked, my current gear is all working just fine. The limiting factor to my photography stares me back in the mirror ... :facesmack:

(However, being realistic that never stopped me from lusting over new gear anyways!!)

GrahamWelland

Err, no.

Seems to me that you're already happy with what you have so why change?

:facesmack:

GrahamWelland

$2K trade in value on a DF+ is derisory.
Well, it's better than paying $8k and having a camera body gathering dust that you'll like never use again ... Plus, realistically how much did you pay for your DF+ body? In a bundle they're not much more than that and I really don't think that Phase One sold many as straight sales at $6k anyways.

That said, I do think that a DF+ should be worth a premium over a DF!

jlm

Workshop Member
given the rampant angst over the delay in upgrading the camera, now that there is a new one, how do you think that affects re-sale of the old ones?
any trade in at all is really just a token for being a continuing customer

Mgreer316

If you really want to know the cost, why not call a dealer?

It seems like these threads always seem to involve people venting about what they don't like.
Because I already did with other dealers. I wanted to know what Digital Transitions was offering to see if it was universal (it is not) AND I figured I wasn't the only one who wanted to know. THAT'S why I asked.

With regard to venting, heck yes! I plead guilty. We're talking about a lot of money and when things seem skewed I'm going to air my opinion. Doug gave a list that should be scrutinized. If people want to swallow whatever Phase is pushing without examination, so be it. But that's not me