The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Phase One News: XF Body, IQ3 backs, 35LS, 120LS, C1 8.3, Website

kdphotography

Well, if you buy the XF you get a nice Pelican style case that comes with a laptop display shade so you can also then get the ultimate SPro 3 experience and an armored case to go with it :D

How'd I do Ken with the 'enabling'?? :)
You forgot the Elk skin strap and Phase mints... :D

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
I feel somewhat desensitized to the XF body price these days after having owned several $8k Nikon DSLR bodies at launch and several more expensive lenses than I'd care to admit to with that system. I'm not really champing at the bit for another MF DSLR body since I'm a technical camera shooter at heart, but I'd be remiss if I didn't admit to hankering for this latest very capable looking XF body that might, just might, get me out using my Phase One lenses again more often.

I'm going to have to avoid laying hands on one for a while I think.

I feel somewhat desensitized to the XF body price these days after having owned several $8k Nikon DSLR bodies at launch and several more expensive lenses than I'd care to admit to with that system.
At least Nikon gave you a complete camera for that price.

Also, I just noticed that the IQ350 has a capture rate about half of what the 645Z is pushing, is there a technical reason for that, or are Phase just matching the capture speed to the back's tethering limits?

Paul2660

It's an impressive camera body for sure. It's a bit disappointing that the AF is still center only and thus requires focus/recompose unless subject is centered. Phase seems to have a reason for this, but I could not find any descriptions in any of the online reviews.

Paul

It's an impressive camera body for sure. It's a bit disappointing that the AF is still center only and thus requires focus/recompose unless subject is centered. Phase seems to have a reason for this, but I could not find any descriptions in any of the online reviews.

Paul
It'll depend on the coverage of the AF sensor in relation to the imaging area, but otherwise the sensor itself is a contiguous surface, so it could be made to "emulate" any array of virtual points that you wish.

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Yes a lot more to be seen on the AF.

Paul
Autofocus is not something you can get a feel for from a spec sheet or article.

We (Digital Transitions) got a preview of this system a week ago, and seeing the autofocus performance we rethought our entire "launch plan." We've scheduled Phase One XF Events in NYC, Chicago, Houston, Dallas, Denver, San Francisco, Miami, Birmingham, Philly, and DC.

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
It'll depend on the coverage of the AF sensor in relation to the imaging area, but otherwise the sensor itself is a contiguous surface, so it could be made to "emulate" any array of virtual points that you wish.
The sensor is center of the frame only. The improvement in this autofocus is not the ability to do point focus off-center, but instead it is:
1) much faster
2) much more accurate (critical for 50/60/80mp at wide open aperture)
3) much clearer view of exactly what you are focusing on
4) the option to use center or spot (see #3)
5) easy for P1 to continue to improve via firmware

m21apsh

"Doug - how does this 80mp sensor differ from the 'old' 80mp sensor?

I hear you on long exposures, but that's of use to very particular group of photographers - whereas for the rest of us... is there more DR? much better high ISO? Less noise? something else?" from Narikin

Doug, any chance can you answer this ? many thanks

Jeff

gerald.d

Just out of interest, is the autofocus on the DF+ considered to be not accurate enough for critical focusing on high megapixel backs when shooting wide open?

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
"Doug - how does this 80mp sensor differ from the 'old' 80mp sensor?

I hear you on long exposures, but that's of use to very particular group of photographers - whereas for the rest of us... is there more DR? much better high ISO? Less noise? something else?" from Narikin

Doug, any chance can you answer this ? many thanks

Jeff
IQ380 does not ship until July. Can't answer until I've played with one. But any improvements are likely to be small or moderate.

Of course the IQ280 already has great dynamic range, color, and tonality at low and mid ISO.

Bill Caulfeild-Browne

I have descended into Dante's Inferno.

Today I ordered the XF body, IQ380 and the new 35 mm.

After all, I can't take my money with me when I go and my kids really don't need it. Really.

In future you may address me as Emperor of GAS.

steve_cor

Just out of interest, is the autofocus on the DF+ considered to be not accurate enough for critical focusing on high megapixel backs when shooting wide open?
Gerald,
I have a DF+ with a 33 megapixel back. I haven't tried higher megapixels.

On the first (half) press of the shutter release button, you hear the auto focus motor moving the lens into position. On the second press, you hear it again briefly, making a small adjustment. Then it's probably done. But make a third press just to be sure the motor doesn't run again. Then shoot. If the motor doesn't run again, I would consider the focus to be accurate enough for critical focusing.

For subsequent shots, one half press to focus, and then keep pressing to shoot. One press will account for small movements of the subject or yourself so you will continue to get critical focus while working quickly. You only need two presses when the focus distance changes by larger amounts.

--Steve.

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Schneider 35mm LS full-res sample files

These were shot with the IQ380, and that is not yet supported in Capture One 8.3 so we can't share the raw files. The sharpening on this TIFF may be a bit heavy handed for some, so shoot us an email and I'll be glad to send you the raws once there is a public version of C1 which can open them.