The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Phase One News: XF Body, IQ3 backs, 35LS, 120LS, C1 8.3, Website

Ken_R

Dude, I use a Hasselblad CF-39MS (4X only) and a Sinarback 54H FW (4x or 16x)... Both will make any single shot back pale on a still... Some of us choose the Sun when it comes to night and day difference... :p
So you are griping that you want to use an old Hasselblad Back (or the Sinar) on the latest PhaseOne camera? Guess that back was the last one to use the Imacon era iAdapters to use the back on several platforms right? After that no Hasselblad back would mount on any other brand SLR.

I agreee that Multi-shot backs do produce stunning image quality in the studio under controlled light. But their use is basically limited to that since they require near perfect camera support, absolute subject stillness and consistent light from shot to shot. This is a scenario where I much rather use a tech camera with movements though. Of course they can be used single shot (at least the Hasselblad) out and about but that is not their reason for being.

At any rate. Hasselblad makes (AFAIK) the only one multi-shot MF digital solution nowadays that is practical to also use single shot on an slr.

But there is a lot of good about the new XF camera system. Focusing on a few tiny bit of the negatives is typical of forums (specially the other forum) but your case is even more specific.

T.Dascalos

Not Available
So you are griping that you want to use an old Hasselblad Back (or the Sinar) on the latest PhaseOne camera? Guess that back was the last one to use the Imacon era iAdapters to use the back on several platforms right? After that no Hasselblad back would mount on any other brand SLR.

I agreee that Multi-shot backs do produce stunning image quality in the studio under controlled light. But their use is basically limited to that since they require near perfect camera support, absolute subject stillness and consistent light from shot to shot. This is a scenario where I much rather use a tech camera with movements though. Of course they can be used single shot (at least the Hasselblad) out and about but that is not their reason for being.

At any rate. Hasselblad makes (AFAIK) the only one multi-shot MF digital solution nowadays that is practical to also use single shot on an slr.

But there is a lot of good about the new XF camera system. Focusing on a few tiny bit of the negatives is typical of forums (specially the other forum) but your case is even more specific.
I don't see what you are talking about.... My backs works perfectly well on all my Contax and my Fuji GX680 as they do on all tech cameras (especially with Sinar P3) and the H5X...
I rarely use them in the studio... I mostly use them on museums or galleries and often for wall paintings in Ancient Byzantine monasteries... In fact Phamyia bodies are the only ones that they don't work on... but again my backs don't need an "one shot" to other than phamiya...

What you want me to do? Quit my job and start shooting landscapes or portraiture as to reduce my income to only a fraction (or even less) than what I make now? I could do that with my Nikons... In fact I do (with my Nikons and rarely with the CF-39MS on Contax) when I'm out for fan.... Pros don't buy toys for serious work.

By the way, as far as focusing is concerned.... have you ever used the 54H in LV through the Sinar capture CS6 with LC shutter on P3? Let alone Sinar's -miles ahead- method of dead accurate colour calibration (which even takes into account sensor temperature) and the ability to export a ready Fogra 27 or 39 file rather than doing a crappy conversion of the RGB TIFF file in PS...

Now, back to the subject, this looks a very serious body.... Isn't it a pity they loose customers by not letting it accessible to other than IQ or Credo backs? I find the policy very selfish and narrow minded...

Last edited:

stephengilbert

If your backs work perfectly well on your current cameras, why are you carrying on here? Isn't this more like LuLa material?

Steve Hendrix

Hi Phil -

But at the end of the day, as far as I'm concerned they are just shifting boxes. That's all I need them for. Why - if I want Phase One products - should I have to pay additional margins to support a business model that provides no benefit to me whatsoever?

Kind regards,

Gerald.

Because your experience is not the only one and does not define the experience of every Phase One user.

The additional margins are not as great as you imagine, and dealers would only retain a percentage of those margins as the support (and sales) resources would need to be expanded at the manufacturer level.

Steve Hendrix
Capture Integration

kdphotography

Because I'm looking for a new platform.... the Contax is now 10 years after production... If Contax was in production I wouldn't care.
If you have an old MFDB from Hasselblad---shouldn't your angst instead be first directed at Hassleblad?

I knew many years ago that the Contax would be a dead end when they folded. Any many photographers that shot the Contax realized this and bought extra bodies in anticipation of, well, what I think you're fretting over now---an aging body with numbered days...

But I think that angst is kinda misdirected to think that the latest camera body, presumably (and understandably so) chock full of tech and new electronics, should be expected to work with your old MFDB. Oh, and reliably so....

That's what great about tech cameras. You just need the right adapter plate and a one-shot cable.

wagabundo

The P/P+ were not "locked out".

To support the P+ on the XF the dev team at Phase One would have done the project twice, and then would have had to maintain both branches indefinitely. I'm sure there would be some redundancy, but there would also be inefficiencies since it's very hard for them to make changes in the P+ firmware at this point, so any snags would have to be fixed on the body side, not the back side.
For sure not everything is easy, but I think that especially owners of P65+ who have invested in (price from 15000usd to 36500usd in last 2,5 years), already paid to PhaseOne for that work/project and they should be able to use those backs with new body. I don't think that forcing them by Phase One to upgrade to the new backs (with any additional cost) when they have no need, is a right thing.

not everything that pays off is worth it and not everything that is worth it pays off..

https://captureintegration.com/pre-owned-phase-one-winter-promotions/

https://captureintegration.com/phase-one-df-kit-promotions/

https://captureintegration.com/refurbished-p45-and-p65-systems-available/

Mgreer316

Doug,

You know more about this than I do, but something doesn't seem right to me. Since the IQ1, IQ2, IQ3, Credo, P, P+, Aptus, etc. backs all work on the DF, then all of the mounting and contacts have got to be the same/similar. The IQ1 and Credo will be upgraded with new firmware to work with the XF. From what I can tell there's a relatively small set of functionality that will be unique to the IQ3. But otherwise, everything else will function with the non-IQ3 backs. Cool.

Here's what I don't understand. For many, all they want is a basic functioning, reliable camera body. All they want is to be able to set the shooting mode and have reliable AF/ They don't need all the bells and whistles. It seems to me that to make the pre IQ1 backs compatible with the XF for basic functionality really shouldn't be that difficult. When it comes to tracking seismic activity, correcting for gravitational pull, predicting the future, etc., many don't need all of that. I can see where making ancient backs compatible with these new features would be extremely difficult. But I don't think owners of older backs expect to have access to all the new fangled stuff. IOW, the level of communications would seem to be extremely low for this level of functionality. Just having the camera trigger and older back shouldn't be that hard when all the connections are compatible. I'd be surprised if one knowledgeable engineer couldn't get basic functionality between the XF and older backs in a matter of an hour or so. Leave it up to the customers to determine whether or not basic functionality is worth the upgrade price. At least they'll have an avenue to what looks to be a reliable Phase body to work with their backs. This should be done, in fact I believe it's incumbent to be done specifically and especially because modularity is promoted as an advantage. Part of the purchase decision is made based on the notion that one is buying into an upgradable modular system. You cannot in good conscious promote the idea of a modular system, then abandon the customer advantages of the system when it becomes inconvenient.
The P/P+ were not "locked out".

The communications protocol on the XF is entirely new. In other words the XF speaks an entirely new language. For the sake of conversation let's call the AFD/AFD2/AF/DF/DF+ language "Aramaic" and the language of the XF "Vorlon". (these are not the real names but they are easier for conversation).

New backs on older bodies
The IQ/IQ2 backs already speak Aramaic, so the effort it took to keep Aramaic in the IQ3 was reasonable. Therefore the IQ3 continues to work on the DF and DF+.

Old backs on newer bodies
The P+ was built on the P platform which was developed in 2004. It was built when Aramaic was one of the main camera languages (the others being the Hassy H and the Contax). To get a P+ to work on an XF you'd need either the XF to learn Aramaic or the P+ to learn Vorlon.

In a way that the metaphor doesn't quite convey, the "language" of the system is the foundation of the camera itself. To support the P+ on the XF the dev team at Phase One would have done the project twice, and then would have had to maintain both branches indefinitely. I'm sure there would be some redundancy, but there would also be inefficiencies since it's very hard for them to make changes in the P+ firmware at this point, so any snags would have to be fixed on the body side, not the back side.

For third party companies to make their legacy/current/future backs compatible with the XF they would also need to teach it Vorlon. Given the position Sinar is in right now I do not suspect they will. Given Hasselblad's focus on their own H platform I do not suspect they will either.

P1 continues to make backs for the Hassy V, Hassy H, Mamiya DF/DF+ and new XF platforms. The IQ380 has a new sensor which makes it fundamentally different than the IQ280 regardless of platform. Therefore it is available on the H and V. The IQ360 and IQ350 are identical to their predecessors except for the circuitry required for power-sharing with an XF. So it would be disingenuous to slap an IQ3 tag on the 50mp and 60mp when used on an H or V platform.

Steve Hendrix

Geez, there's so much in these threads.

XF compatibility - of course it is intentional and with purpose. That's in question?

Phase One prefers that you upgrade your P+ digital back that you purchased anywhere from 4-5 to 8-11 years ago. You bet they do.

Faced with the choice of creating XF compatibility for a digital back platform that was created over 10 years ago (which, despite what has been suggested, is not as simple as just telling Valdemar Gregersen over in the corner to write a few lines of code to enable the "dummy" mode), and supporting these 4 - 11 year old digital backs for use with the XF camera (probably well more difficult than supporting an IQ3, or even an IQ1), it is not surprising that Phase One opted for this path.

I find it unfortunate that the variety of digital backs have had so many varying performance features that has hampered a smooth progress forward with newer models (prime example being P45+ amazing long exposure performance and lens shift facilitation - where is that today?). This has hampered the ability in some cases for users to effectively upgrade their models. A P40+ to IQ140 upgrade isn't much of stretch, but there is no downside to this upgrade path as their might be coming from P45+ to IQ160, etc.

And from a dollar standpoint, yes, if someone owns an Aptus-II 12 and wants to go to the XF, upgrading to a Credo 80 is also not so inexpensive.

But these are modern realities - in most cases - when it comes to "digital". The majority of the tendrils that reached far back in terms of product compatibility are a hamper today, and for the most part are gone. Many companies in the digital age accept this without even questioning it, and for products far more recent than a 6 year old P65+.

I'm not saying this is right, I'm not saying this is how things should be, I'm not saying anyone doesn't have the right to feel, well, screwed. Or at best, unappreciated. But it generally is - I think - the way things are. With many modern, digital product manufacturers.

The difficult part to me is that a P65+ is one of the most recent P+ models (P40+ came out about a year later), and even 3 years ago as Wag shows, there was a substantial cost. Could Phase One have created compatibility for P40+/P65+ as a fairness gesture? Perhaps - but where do you draw the line, it is P+, so is P20+ a P+. If for P65+, why not for P20+? It is the same chassis, 98% the same technology, communication protocols. It's not an easy decision in either case - but extending backwards is definitely against how optimal digital development works today. If someone has a P30+ and is feeling put out, I understand, but .... it's a P30+. A P65+ feels like more of problem to me because it could be a somewhat recent purchase, and a not inexpensive one. My hope is that at some point, Phase One can produce a very affordable IQ upgrade path for at least P40+/P65+ owners (P40+ I don't think is that hard).

As far as the Open/Closed argument is concerned, I always felt it was a mistake by Phase One to emphasize their "openness", which was a veiled dart at Hasselblad. I thought "modularity" was a much stronger and truer talking point for a Phase One product, and a more accurate description, with regard to open/closed platforms. But really, you are going back to 2006, with the launch of the H3D series, before the notion of open or closed crossed anyone's minds. At that time, there appeared to be a lot more relevant options for medium format digital backs and also cameras, even though both Contax and Bronica had exited just in the previous year.

But today, the idea of open and closed systems feels ridiculous to me (and sort of did then). Who makes digital backs today? Phase One (Leaf), Hasselblad, Sinar. Who makes medium format cameras that accept digital backs? Phase One (Mamiya) and Hasselblad. If someone owns a Sinar digital back and wants so badly to capture from a medium format camera, then (no dis-respect to Sinar), why doesn't Sinar then make one? Does Hasselblad not make a camera that will accept an Imacon multi-shot digital back? They do!

Then what is the big deal? What I am hearing is that many users want the remaining medium format camera companies to allow digital backs made from other medium format companies to work with their camera. Maybe that will happen, but first and foremost, the manufacturer needs to answer the questions, what is the cost? what do I have to gain? And then frame those general questions more specifically to what their focused product roadmap, vision, whatever you want to call it, is for the future.

Steve Hendrix
Capture Integration

jagsiva

Thank you Steve, finally a well reasoned post. At the end of the day, it was a business decision based on positioning in the market wrt to competitors. Hiding this behind bandwidth of existing interfaces etc. was hurting my head.

Let's call it what it is and move on. Again, hats off to you.

T.Dascalos

Not Available
If you have an old MFDB from Hasselblad---shouldn't your angst instead be first directed at Hassleblad?

I knew many years ago that the Contax would be a dead end when they folded. Any many photographers that shot the Contax realized this and bought extra bodies in anticipation of, well, what I think you're fretting over now---an aging body with numbered days...

But I think that angst is kinda misdirected to think that the latest camera body, presumably (and understandably so) chock full of tech and new electronics, should be expected to work with your old MFDB. Oh, and reliably so....

That's what great about tech cameras. You just need the right adapter plate and a one-shot cable.
No... because in my job you don't need leaf shutter and Contax 120mm Apo f4 is among the sharpest and the most color neutral lenses ever made... So is some versions of the P1 120mm lens... Hasselblad 120 is excellent... but not right up there... besides, Hasselblad lenses are heavier and less well build than the Contax... to many electronics that affect reliability in them too...

Mgreer316

Geez, there's so much in these threads.
Of course there is Steve! First, I love you guys. I buy my stuff from Rob. But I've given him an earful at times. Why? BECAUSE I AM SPENDING TENS OF THOUSANDS OF DOLLARS! I'm going to make an assumption here that could be very wrong. But I'm assuming the dealers in these forums aren't buying this stuff with their own money. I'm also going to assume that said dealers aren't earning their living via photography. IOW, this is HIGHLY emotional for those of us that are spending our money and earning our living by using this gear. For those for whom this is just an expensive indulgence, you might not understand our angst either. My point is your perspective on this issue is going to be directly proportional to whether this gear is used as a tool in your livelihood.

That being said, I agree with everything you wrote Steve. But the horse has left the barn. When we are deciding what to do, all of the medium format advantage get promoted. So we buy into it. Then when the rubber meets the road and it's upgrade time, the "logical" reasons as to why this or that isn't happening come out. THOSE SHOULD'VE BEEN STATED WHEN PEOPLE WERE DECIDING WHAT TO DO BEFORE THEY PUT DOWN THEIR MONEY. Don't sell me on advantages that won't come to fruition. That's what my problem is. And I'm not even affected as my Credo will be compatible. But in those few minutes before I knew it was going to be compatible, I was starting to feel the anger boil up as I bought the Credo specifically while waiting for a rumored new camera body. Therefore, I feel for those that bought into a system believing they'd have the opportunity to upgrade, then don't.

When other people's investments tank, "Oh well, thems the breaks". But when it's ours we have a very different perspective.

Steve Hendrix

Of course there is Steve! First, I love you guys. I buy my stuff from Rob. But I've given him an earful at times. Why? BECAUSE I AM SPENDING TENS OF THOUSANDS OF DOLLARS! I'm going to make an assumption here that could be very wrong. But I'm assuming the dealers in these forums aren't buying this stuff with their own money. I'm also going to assume that said dealers aren't earning their living via photography. IOW, this is HIGHLY emotional for those of us that are spending our money and earning our living by using this gear. For those for whom this is just an expensive indulgence, you might not understand our angst either. My point is your perspective on this issue is going to be directly proportional to whether this gear is used as a tool in your livelihood.

That being said, I agree with everything you wrote Steve. But the horse has left the barn. When we are deciding what to do, all of the medium format advantage get promoted. So we buy into it. Then when the rubber meets the road and it's upgrade time, the "logical" reasons as to why this or that isn't happening come out. THOSE SHOULD'VE BEEN STATED WHEN PEOPLE WERE DECIDING WHAT TO DO BEFORE THEY PUT DOWN THEIR MONEY. Don't sell me on advantages that won't come to fruition. That's what my problem is. And I'm not even affected as my Credo will be compatible. But in those few minutes before I knew it was going to be compatible, I was starting to feel the anger boil up as I bought the Credo specifically while waiting for a rumored new camera body. Therefore, I feel for those that bought into a system believing they'd have the opportunity to upgrade, then don't.

When other people's investments tank, "Oh well, thems the breaks". But when it's ours we have a very different perspective.

Mike, you're right, it isn't our money. We will never have the same degree of emotional attachment to the investment or depreciation of that currency. We come as close as we can, and we do have a responsibility toward stewardship of those funds (some feel this more than others). On the few occasions someone has contacted me and said - "Steve I want to buy the latest, expensive so and so", straight off the bat, it feels like I'm Spiderman, and my Spidey sense is tingling. Like - well I can't just say ok, lets' get your payment information. My mind begins prompting for questions - "Well, ok, but how would you use this?" What are you using now? How is it going to improve what you're doing now, and is this cost worth it to you?" NEVER JUST TAKE THE ORDER.

These thoughts happen, these conversations happen, and we try and boil it down to rationals for this move forward, and sometimes I find I am fighting someone's emotional imperative that the rational doesn't matter to them, at least on a certain level. They just want it. They've sold themselves. And sometimes I un-sell them. You're probably wondering - how hard do I try? Well, sometimes, pretty hard if it really feels like a borderline scenario to me.

I hear what you're saying. And nothing should ever be promised to someone that doesn't come to fruition, if the person selling it knows it won't, doubts it will, or just plain doesn't know. And if they don't know - then the manufacturers have put everyone in a bad position. In our case, we can only tell you what we know (which in some cases is not a lot). If the Leaf Credo had not been compatible with the XF, the outcry would have included ours. This is not without precedent - when Leaf was acquired by Phase One the support migration from Leaf backs was handled clumsily, with some serial numbers being excluded, some Capture One compatibility and features excluded, etc. Our voice was heard as part of the push to correct this (which it was).

So your point that this is your money, not ours, is heard loud and clear. But I can promise you we do not take this lightly.

**Oh, almost forgot - when I said "Geez, there's so much in these threads", I didn't mean "so much .... complaining, etc.". I meant so much content, so many opinions, so many different topics and subjects. A juicy thread, full of strong feelings.

Steve Hendrix
Capture Integration

Wayne Fox

Workshop Member
Well, if you buy the XF you get a nice Pelican style case that comes with a laptop display shade so you can also then get the ultimate SPro 3 experience and an armored case to go with it :D
They include a sherpa to haul it around?

Seriously,one big reason I moved to a tech camera was to lighten the pack. It already takes me longer to setup than I like, so I don't see myself doing any tethering and adding weight with a surface pro or even an iPad, so unless it could be tethered to an iPhone 6 wirelessly without need of an intermediary computer I'll stick with the poor but usable back's live view.

Wayne Fox

Workshop Member
Mike, you're right, it isn't our money. We will never have the same degree of emotional attachment to the investment or depreciation of that currency. We come as close as we can, and we do have a responsibility toward stewardship of those funds (some feel this more than others). On the few occasions someone has contacted me and said - "Steve I want to buy the latest, expensive so and so", straight off the bat, it feels like I'm Spiderman, and my Spidey sense is tingling. Like - well I can't just say ok, lets' get your payment information. My mind begins prompting for questions - "Well, ok, but how would you use this?" What are you using now? How is it going to improve what you're doing now, and is this cost worth it to you?" NEVER JUST TAKE THE ORDER.

These thoughts happen, these conversations happen, and we try and boil it down to rationals for this move forward, and sometimes I find I am fighting someone's emotional imperative that the rational doesn't matter to them, at least on a certain level. They just want it. They've sold themselves. And sometimes I un-sell them. You're probably wondering - how hard do I try? Well, sometimes, pretty hard if it really feels like a borderline scenario to me.

I hear what you're saying. And nothing should ever be promised to someone that doesn't come to fruition, if the person selling it knows it won't, doubts it will, or just plain doesn't know. And if they don't know - then the manufacturers have put everyone in a bad position. In our case, we can only tell you what we know (which in some cases is not a lot). If the Leaf Credo had not been compatible with the XF, the outcry would have included ours. This is not without precedent - when Leaf was acquired by Phase One the support migration from Leaf backs was handled clumsily, with some serial numbers being excluded, some Capture One compatibility and features excluded, etc. Our voice was heard as part of the push to correct this (which it was).

So your point that this is your money, not ours, is heard loud and clear. But I can promise you we do not take this lightly.

**Oh, almost forgot - when I said "Geez, there's so much in these threads", I didn't mean "so much .... complaining, etc.". I meant so much content, so many opinions, so many different topics and subjects. A juicy thread, full of strong feelings.

Steve Hendrix
Capture Integration
Speaking for one who just went through this process with Steve, I believe he speaks sincerely. I'm excited to get my new IQ380, as well as the new XF body (even though I don't shoot the phase gear much anymore, when I do I think the new body will be terrific.)

rhern213

I would agree with this, but not in this instance.

I understand people want their products to be compatible for enough time to make their investment worthwhile, however being irate because a 10 year old electronic product isn't compatible with one that was just released last week is unreasonable to me. How long do you expect these products to be supported by newer technology?

The P-series was supported through the Mamiya AFD-1-2-3, Phase DF, and DF+ until now. And we're talking about a product in the XF that does 0 to improve the actual quality of the P-series DB, it just makes working easier.

The people who should have a legitimate reason to be upset are those who bought a P-series DB within the last few months with the expectation of upgrading to the new body, and voiced that to their dealer, and got no warning from their dealer about the XF. Then I would be upset.

If you're not one of those people and you think your work is going to improve that much with an XF body, then sell the P-series and buy a used IQ1 for a couple of grand extra and you can buy your XF with no worries.

Mgreer316

And we're talking about a product in the XF that does 0 to improve the actual quality of the P-series DB, it just makes working easier.
We'll have to wait and see. IF the AF performance of the XF is predictable and reliable, then I'll have to strongly disagree with you. For ME, the value of the XF is boiled down to the auto focus performance. If the performance is merely in the range of average, then it improves the usefulness of ALL backs currently being shot with the DF. If the usefulness improves, the quality improves because you end up with more usable images.