The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Phase One News: XF Body, IQ3 backs, 35LS, 120LS, C1 8.3, Website

6x6

This thread has a great deal of useful industry feedback, if the personal and often immature exchanges are filtered out. I hope Phase One is able to decipher and take on board the genuine feedback within it.

Thank you Steve and Doug for answering my questions. Based on your participation on this forum and if I lived in the USA, I would definitely use your services. How you manage to keep your responses professional is beyond me!!

jlm

Workshop Member
felt one today at digital transitions in nyc, drank the koolaid. you're gonna want one

among many features, it appears they designed in a lot of abilities that future firmware will be able to take advantage of, like the seismograph, for example.

liked the brightness and touch screen on the camera display, not to mention the back

jerome_m

For information: my local dealer sent out a message that the camera is manufactured by Mamiya and will also be sold under the Mamiya brand later. He also says that Mamiya is still working on compatibility with credo backs.

Mgreer316

For information: my local dealer sent out a message that the camera is manufactured by Mamiya and will also be sold under the Mamiya brand later. He also says that Mamiya is still working on compatibility with credo backs.
Really? Hmm... Might it also follow the IQ vs. Credo trend and be less expensive? Interesting. For whatever reason, I like the name "Mamiya" vs. "Phase One".

T.Dascalos

Not Available
I wonder.... since they have such a beautiful mechanical design, wouldn't it be a good idea to have a second version of the body, with simpler features specification that would work with every back made for m645 up to now? Surely it would be compatible with up to IQ2 backs and it wouldn't require any mechanical modifications of the design. Probably it would widen the target market in favor of P1 considerably.

malmac

The XF camera Quick Guide can now be downloaded from the Phase One site.https://www.phaseone.com/en/SupportMain/Manuals/Manuals_Camera.aspx
Bill

Thanks for the link. I read about the camera and must admit that there are many nice features and while the price is high - if I could justify one I think I would be thinking very seriously about it. My IQ180 would certainly look good cuddled up to that baby.

It was also interesting to me that this thread has said so little about the features where information is already available - I accept that until people start to use them in the flesh - other points will not be able to be made.

Thanks again and enjoy your new camera, I am sure I am not the only one who will be looking forward to hearing from an owner of how it is to use in the real world.

Mal

jlm

Workshop Member
unlike mirrorless asian cameras with live view and cmos, this only shows the histogram on image review (as do all the phase backs, afaict). furthermore, the viewfinder doesn't have a lot of content, so expect to be viewing the back or camera screens a lot if you want info.

seems like a clever vibration avoidance program can be set; a bit more than mirror lockup, with programable delay, etc

all the buttons/dials are un-lableled and user programmable.

they list it as accepting the 50 back, which is CMOS, but i forgot to ask about the possible extra functionality of that with this body: how would live view work, for example

stngoldberg

The following post appeared recently on a Sony A7rII post recently
Stanley

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 1
Likes (Given): 141
Likes (Received): 338
Send a message via Skype™ to Stefan Steib
Re: Upcoming A7rII
I have been co-shooting the 5Dsr for a day for a fashiontest for "digit!" Magazine last week in cologne.
As a comparison we had an IQ250 with an 80mm LS lens on a DF+. And I have to say when we were looking through the footage, there was nearly no difference between the Canon and the Phase. Not on sharpness nor on colors or DR. In fact we did mix up the results several times and had to look at the file name at comparison.

Canon plays this very cool right now, but expect the camera to be a huge success.
And it already is. The preorders are legion.....

Greetings from Germany
Stefan

Mgreer316

As a comparison we had an IQ250 with an 80mm LS lens on a DF+. And I have to say when we were looking through the footage, there was nearly no difference between the Canon and the Phase. Not on sharpness nor on colors or DR. In fact we did mix up the results several times and had to look at the file name at comparison.
I believe it based on the few comparisons I've seen. Therefore, I've been wondering what the heck I'm doing for more than a few months. Assuming this is true or the results are very close, the only thing I'd prefer about medium format is the exclusivity of ownership and the aspect ratio. I really do not like the 35mm aspect ratio.

tjv

Ok, someone's got to change the subject it might as well be me...
When the hell will Leica release a set of tilt shift lenses?!?! I hate 3x2 as well, but the S body us brilliant... Oh, and the 007 should have been 60mpx...
Sorry, back to normal programming...

alajuela

Today went to the Phase demo,met the familiar Phase people from Denmark and the Asian Reps from Hong Kong and Shanghai, maybe about 100 people there.

They had two cameras there, with the new lenses, and IQ3 350 back. I got to shoot it several times. Is really nice, must say it is heavier, and the grip is more substantial also. It focused really fast. The feel was great.

I realize it is marketing and all, but it makes sense to me, that Phase will continue to build off this platform with more features and refining the features they already have instituted. The system itself is very intuitive and easy to grasp, especially coming from the IQ backs.

They have finally rounded out the circle, and have a lens set, camera body, and digital back with development / processing software that they have completely designed, and built. No 10 year old legacy patched up body. Although I didn't hate the DF and DF+ with quite intensity of some members, but I also did not depend on my livelihood for it either so I do not judge. This is truly a robust system.

I am looking forward to getting my kit

Thanks

Phil

Ken_R

THIS very nice article by Doug is a great read.

If you read between the lines you get the feeling that there is a lot more coming for the XF platform given it's capacity to be swiftly tweaked / new features added and upgraded. The built-in state of the art 6 axis gyro is an awesome tool for quite a few things that are not yet implemented.

I am looking forward to using the XF (try it out) and im sure im gonna love the interface. It offers something new regardless of format.

Yes, the XF IQ3xx system is a huge chunk of change but at least now you are not getting a clunker of a body. Everything is cutting edge.

hcubell

I attended a really well done event in Boston today by Digital Transitions where I had the chance to handle the new Phase One XF. It is a beautifully designed and built camera. Phase did an amazing job of laying out the controls in a way that makes the great capabilities of the camera so accessible, and yet they don't get in the way. However, as perfect as I found the XF in almost every respect, there was one major problem......the sheer weight of the camera. I am used to working with a Hasselblad H, but the XF feels really heavy by comparison. I wonder why Phase did not source lighter weight materials. As is, I think the XF needs to go on a diet.

Mgreer316

The closest peek I'll get at the XF is Tuesday in Cleveland. Cleveland is about 3.5 hours from me. For those who've seen it, is it worth 7 hours of drive time (there and back) to preview the XF?

Last edited:

steve_cor

Mike,
How do you plan to test the AF performance when you get there? You would want to know if continuous AF drive mode could track a bride coming down the aisle toward you. If you will be able to test sufficiently to discern your needs, I think the drive to Cleveland for a hands on test would be worth it.

--Steve.

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
I attended a really well done event in Boston today by Digital Transitions where I had the chance to handle the new Phase One XF. It is a beautifully designed and built camera. Phase did an amazing job of laying out the controls in a way that makes the great capabilities of the camera so accessible, and yet they don't get in the way. However, as perfect as I found the XF in almost every respect, there was one major problem......the sheer weight of the camera. I am used to working with a Hasselblad H, but the XF feels really heavy by comparison. I wonder why Phase did not source lighter weight materials. As is, I think the XF needs to go on a diet.
Thanks for the kind words! It was nice seeing you at our event.

The new viewfinder is brighter and clearer, but that takes more glass which makes it a few ounces heavier. In the hand (or at least, in my hand) I think it still feels well balanced but of course that doesn't help much for those carrying it in a backpack.

The heavier weight and the too-bright autofocus-assist light (only needed in low light) are my two beefs with the system.

The Waist Level Viewfinder is MUCH lighter so if you can live with (or even prefer) the WLF that's a great option to reduce weight.

Speaking of which, our LA, NYC, Houston, Dallas, and Boston events have come and gone but our Philly, Chicago, D.C., San Fran, Miami, Denver, and Birmingham Phase One XF Launch Events are still coming up.