The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Phase One News: XF Body, IQ3 backs, 35LS, 120LS, C1 8.3, Website

Mgreer316

Mike,
How do you plan to test the AF performance when you get there? You would want to know if continuous AF drive mode could track a bride coming down the aisle toward you. If you will be able to test sufficiently to discern your needs, I think the drive to Cleveland for a hands on test would be worth it.

--Steve.
Steve, as if now, my mindset would never consider using this system for applications such as weddings where ficus needs to accurate AND fast. My a medium format rig is strictly a portrait rig. Right now that's mainly in studio, but I want to migrate it's use to on location as well. As for testing, I want to determine whether I have to pump the shutter before I obtain an accurate lock? Can I accurately lock on to an eye on a face? Can I achieve shallow DoF on something like an eye off center but focus and recomposing? How easy is it to focus through a foreground obstacle like a chain linked fence on the subject in the background? These are the things I need to test.

steve_cor

How is the weight of the XF compared to the DF w/V-grip?
It sounds like you are just asking yourself this, and this is a rhetorical question. If you are going to try one in Cleveland then you'll find out.

The new XF weighs 9 or 10 ounces more than the 645DF. Add the weight of the V-grip to the 645DF and they weigh about the same.

Mamiya 645DF+ ..................1030g (35 oz) without battery
V-Grip Air ............................364g without batteries and strap.

XF w/ 90° Prism viewfinder .....1290g (45.5 oz) without battery

--Steve.

bahr

Just letting you dudes know that I received my upgrade/trade in from H4d-50 to iq350 and xf camera last week. Haven't had a chance to properly break it in until today and I'm extremely pleased. Will try to post something soon but for now I'll give a few comments.

Camera's user interface is excellent. The top lcd is far better than it sounds, Af feels snappy but still need to do further testing. There is a bit of a learning curve but that's mainly on the software side as I've been using phocus previously. Overall it feels great and I'm very happy with the switch.

Bahr

Steve Hendrix

From the note I just received from Capture Integration I'd wait awhile before doing the upgrade on my IQ180...

https://captureintegration.com/xf-firmware-1-1-3-released/

Don

Thanks for noting that, Don.

We re-wrote that blog post about 12 times. We wanted to make very clear that we do not recommend all users to upgrade the firmware. Did we get the message across well enough? Gosh, I hope so.... (and so does Anthony!).

Steve Hendrix
Capture Integration

jagsiva

Thanks for noting that, Don.

We re-wrote that blog post about 12 times. We wanted to make very clear that we do not recommend all users to upgrade the firmware. Did we get the message across well enough? Gosh, I hope so.... (and so does Anthony!).

Steve Hendrix
Capture Integration
I think so Steve. My understanding is that if you are on an IQ1/2 with DF/DF+, hold off.

Thanks for the info.

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
I think so Steve. My understanding is that if you are on an IQ1/2 with DF/DF+, hold off.

Thanks for the info.
I called CI on Tuesday and the first thing Dave G said to me was don't upgrade your firmware unless you've got an Xf ... The rest of the conversation followed.

Mgreer316

It sounds like you are just asking yourself this, and this is a rhetorical question. If you are going to try one in Cleveland then you'll find out.
Thanks for the information. Maybe I'm reading too much into it, but the tone of your post bugs me. It was a simple question that I desired an answer to. Lecturing me wasn't necessary or apreciated. If I've misinterpreted the intent, then I'm sorry, my bad. As it turns out, I didn't go to Cleveland so I wasn't able to find out.

Steve Hendrix

Thanks for the information. Maybe I'm reading too much into it, but the tone of your post bugs me. It was a simple question that I desired an answer to. Lecturing me wasn't necessary or apreciated. If I've misinterpreted the intent, then I'm sorry, my bad. As it turns out, I didn't go to Cleveland so I wasn't able to find out.

Note - Steve-Cor had replied to you and you two have a tone question to work out (I am not Steve-Cor, as most here are aware, but wanted to make sure there was no confusion).

In the meantime, below is the actual weight comparison (as weighed on our scale at CI, not pulled from the datasheets):

**IQ350 Digital Back/XF Camera/90º Prism Finder/SK 80mm LS Lens

5.80 lbs/2.63 kg - IQ350/XF Camera/90º Prism/SK 80mm Lens (includes all batteries)
4.65 lbs/2.11 kg - IQ350/XF Camera/90º Prism (No lens, includes all batteries)
3.10 lbs/1.41 kg - XF Camera/90º Prism (No DB, No lens, includes all batteries)
1.95 lbs/0.88 kg - XF Camera (No Prism, No DB, No lens, includes all batteries)

**IQ250 Digital Back/DF+ Camera/Built-In 90º Prism Finder/SK 80mm LS Lens

5.25 lbs/2.38 kg - IQ250/DF+ Camera/90º Prism/SK 80mm Lens (includes all batteries)
4.10 lbs/1.86 kg - IQ250/DF+ Camera/90º Prism (No lens, includes all batteries)
2.60 lbs/1.18 kg - XF Camera/90º Prism (No DB, No lens, includes all batteries)

8 ounce difference between the XF/Prism vs DF+/Prism.

Steve Hendrix
Capture Integration

bahr

Hi everyone, just wanted to ask (aimed towards Doug and Steve) if it's true when using FireWire for tethering in capture one 8.3 that live view is not available. a few days ago it worked flawlessly via usb 3 on my local studios laptop but in my laptop via FireWire it tethers but doesn't seem to function for live view.

It also doesn't recognize the camera as being compatible for live view (phase XF)

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Bahr