The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Phase One News: XF Body, IQ3 backs, 35LS, 120LS, C1 8.3, Website

Steve Hendrix

Hi everyone, just wanted to ask (aimed towards Doug and Steve) if it's true when using FireWire for tethering in capture one 8.3 that live view is not available. a few days ago it worked flawlessly via usb 3 on my local studios laptop but in my laptop via FireWire it tethers but doesn't seem to function for live view.

It also doesn't recognize the camera as being compatible for live view (phase XF)

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Bahr

If this is IQ350, then firewire isn't going to work for live view - you'll want to use the USB port. Same goes for IQ150/IQ250/Credo 50.

Steve Hendrix
Capture Integration

bahr

If this is IQ350, then firewire isn't going to work for live view - you'll want to use the USB port. Same goes for IQ150/IQ250/Credo 50.

Steve Hendrix
Capture Integration
Hi Steve,

Thanks for the reply.

It's iq350 with XF. Loving the new system and switch from h4d-50.

In a way I'm relieved as I thought something was wrong with the back.
This might be a silly question but would usb 2 work or am I looking at a new laptop purchase.lol....

Bahr

Smoothjazz

Is anyone planning to get the waist level finder? It might be a nice option for photographing people. I was looking through some old books today (Vivian Maier), and noted that the photographers in the older days used the Rolleiflex at waist level, and it seemed to provide a unique perspective, seeing a portrait or street photograph from a lower perspective. It seemed to elevate the subject somehow in the picture.

Don Libby

Yes actually the waist level viewfinder is one (of many) things that sold me on the new body; no more crawling on my hand and knees when I want a lower viewpoint in either nature or landscape. It's been ordered just waiting for delivery.

Don

Paul2660

The waist level finder, I have one question. Can you view the viewfinder with the camera from waist level? like you can with a Hasselblad old style or Rollieflex body? or do you have to have to put the finder up to your eye?

To me the main use for the waist level finder is to help keep a shot level perspective wise, much as I use a Sony or Fuji LCD, tilted.

If you have to hold the Phase finder up to your eye, then I am not seeing much advantage over the normal eye level finder.

Thanks
Paul

Don Libby

All good questions however I don't think any of our dealer friends have received the WL yet so time will tell.

Steve Hendrix

All good questions however I don't think any of our dealer friends have received the WL yet so time will tell.

Yes, it is a traditional viewfinder in that sense - it has a foldable magnifier that folds up out of view so you can see the ground glass while holding it at your waist.

Steve Hendrix
Capture Integration

Christopher

Very quick question: Is there some type of "focus indicator" ? I mean any outline or something that shows the difference between the "area and spot" modus ?

steve_cor

This is what Doug Peterson wrote on post #71:

The sensor is center of the frame only. The improvement in this autofocus is not the ability to do point focus off-center, but instead it is:
1) much faster
2) much more accurate (critical for 50/60/80mp at wide open aperture)
3) much clearer view of exactly what you are focusing on
4) the option to use center or spot (see #3)
5) easy for P1 to continue to improve via firmware

Hopefully someone has tried it and can elaborate.

rhern213

This is what Doug Peterson wrote on post #71:

Hopefully someone has tried it and can elaborate.
Just a quick note, I was a DT's this past weekend in NY and got the chance to play with the XF along with my DF+ for comparisons.

I compared using the 35, 80LS, and 150 lenses, and the XF was significantly faster in all areas of composing, viewing, focusing, and accuracy than the DF+, I was actually surprised at how much faster it was given it still is basically just one center point for AF. My best comparison would be that in terms of speed and accuracy, it is about as good as previous gen DSLR's. In about one hour of testing with standard indoor lighting, the XF did not hunt for focus one single time, while the DF+ was hunting every other shutter press.

One thing unrelated to AF about aesthetics, is the button that is on the back where your thumb would normally go to hold the body is very intrusive.

The viewfinder was also significantly larger, it practically covered the entire hole of the screen to where you can barely even see black around the edges, it was probably the nicest viewfinder I've seen.

Although from my expeerience with it, it does not have the same ability of Hassy's truefocus in order to autofocus and recompose, but it otherwise, it feels really nice.

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Very quick question: Is there some type of "focus indicator" ? I mean any outline or something that shows the difference between the "area and spot" modus ?
The ground glass screen on units currently being shipped is not the final ground glass. It is the same as the DF+ ground glass and indicates a vague, unhelpful circle.

The final shipping ground glass has two rectangles, both smaller than the circle shown in the DF+ ground glass, and the smaller of which is quite tiny. They represent the average and spot focus areas respectively. I played with an XF with this new ground glass in Copenhagen and it is, in my opinion, a big improvement as far as indicating to the user exactly what the AF sensor is looking at. But we'll have to wait until that final ground glass starts shipping to get wider (less biased) opinions.

Christopher

Great to know! I thought I go crazy. Every documentation talks about the "smaller" squars, an i thought "wtf, there are no squars..."

Any timetable at all? I can already say the autofocus is sooooo much better, but it would help tremendously when I see what the actual focus area is especially on the spot mode. So far I can only say, well it is the center, hm is it really centered or do I need to move it a little more to the left. ;)

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Great to know! I thought I go crazy. Every documentation talks about the "smaller" squars, an i thought "wtf, there are no squars..."

Any timetable at all? I can already say the autofocus is sooooo much better, but it would help tremendously when I see what the actual focus area is especially on the spot mode. So far I can only say, well it is the center, hm is it really centered or do I need to move it a little more to the left. ;)
Quick update, we have discovered the cause of the incompatibility between the 80/1.9 and the XF. This lens has a slightly protruding lip around the rear element. It does not appear to have any function but is a fraction of a mm further back into the mount than with other lenses of this generation.

We've had the ring reduced down here in NYC and it is now mounting and operating normally. We need to do more testing to be sure, but I believe this is a complete fix to the issue.

More details soon. We're in the middle of Service Day.