The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

90mm Rodenstock SW Experience?

Smoothjazz

I had a chance to try out the 90mm Rodenstock f5.6 Alpagon (Alpa version) lens last week, and it is a great lens. I found it was yielding images that to my eye was better than my 80mm Phase One lens. I wanted to ask if anyone has tried the newer 90mm Rodenstock SW lens, and what is your experience, particularly in comparison to the previous 90mm Rodie? I am trying to decide which upgrade path take, particularly between the two 90mm options.
Thanks for your input,

John

jlm

Workshop Member
just got one for my actus/blad 50CFV-c rig. so far so good, but hardly used yet. image attached

jagsiva

The 90SW is significantly better than the 80LS. Compared to the older 90W, it is sharper, bigger image circle and physically bigger. it is also more expensive and requires either an extension box or lens barrel making it bulkier to carry. It is the sharpest lens I have.

Pinhua

I am interested in if this lens can cover 4x5 format (152mm IC), which is about shifting 40mm up/down with 15mm left/right on 40x54 digital back. If it's ok I am tempting to try it on 6x12 and 4x5. Would someone also want to try it? Thanks :)
Henri

jagsiva

I am interested in if this lens can cover 4x5 format (152mm IC), which is about shifting 40mm up/down with 15mm left/right on 40x54 digital back. If it's ok I am tempting to try it on 6x12 and 4x5. Would someone also want to try it? Thanks :)
Henri
I think you can push to about +/-30mm shift in landscape without any rise or fall. The IC is only 125mm. On the Rodies you also hit a hard shadow with the disk they have at the limit of the IC.

I'm assuming you're using film here and the resolution of the SW will likely be overkill, not to mention the price. Some of the "analog" lenses will better serve you i'd think.

RodK

Both the older and the newest 90mm from Rodenstock are excellent, with the HR SW yellow ring, a real winner. They are both, like many 90-105mm lenses prone to flare, so be sure to use a good lens shade. Otherwise, as was mentioned above, the latest incarnation of this lens is best out there.
Be well,
Rod