The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

IQ180 and Schneider 60mm XL

tjv

Hi all,

I've tried searching the forum for this, but the results that come up lead me down a rabbit hole...

In short, what's the story with the IQ180 and Schneider 60mm XL? I'm making tracks to jump on a great IQ180 deal (seeking funds tomorrow... Gulp...) and want to know how this combination handles in terms of colour casts, micro lens ripple etc with movments. How many mm could I expect to employ without running into problems, even with LCC shots?

I ask because I know the 60 XL is not retrofocus like the Rodenstock wides, but at this focal length does it matter? I currently have a Rodenstock 55mm APO–Sironar Digital, which has been great with film, but I worry that it will clearly show its age on this sensor. Hense the thought of upgrading to the 60XL while (if) getting the back.

Thanks for your help,

TJV

Paul2660

Hi all,

I've tried searching the forum for this, but the results that come up lead me down a rabbit hole...

In short, what's the story with the IQ180 and Schneider 60mm XL? I'm making tracks to jump on a great IQ180 deal (seeking funds tomorrow... Gulp...) and want to know how this combination handles in terms of colour casts, micro lens ripple etc with movments. How many mm could I expect to employ without running into problems, even with LCC shots?

I ask because I know the 60 XL is not retrofocus like the Rodenstock wides, but at this focal length does it matter? I currently have a Rodenstock 55mm APO–Sironar Digital, which has been great with film, but I worry that it will clearly show its age on this sensor. Hense the thought of upgrading to the 60XL while (if) getting the back.

Thanks for your help,

TJV
Hi, I have the 60XL in R mount and have used it a few times on the 180 (during a value add repair for my 260). I have the CF for mine as I feel it helps a bit on extreme shifts.

I don't use rise/fall, but shift a lot.

On the 180, I found that the color cast/loss of saturation seemed to be too extreme by 18mm, where as on a 60MP back I have taken this lens to 25mm of shift.

It's nothing like using the 35XL on the 180, i.e. it's a much better combination and you should have good success with it.

Congratulations on the new 180!

Paul

jagsiva

Agree with Paul on the limits. I frequently use +/- 15mm in landscape orientation with my Arca without any issues. Where I find the large IC useful is that I can shift 15mm and use rise/fall without problems.

I can go up to 20mm if needed. Beyond this is trickier and very dependent on your standards and the subject matter.

Paul2660

I should add, the IC on the lens is 120mm as I recall. Schneider doesn't put the IC edge indicator in their glass, so you can easily use the full IC for a shot and as Jagsiva mentioned you can make excellent 9 part shots using rise and shift, center and shift and fall and shift, (you can also skip the center and just have 6 and rely on overlap). You will not see the massive black vignette that occurs and the even worse white bands (before the black) that pretty much ruin anything shifted past 15mm on a 40mm Rodie.

I will say the 60XL is not that great wide open or close, I tend to try and stay at F11 to F16 even when shifting, which in low light on CCD back can be somewhat problematic.

Paul