The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Capture One (for Sony)

jerome_m

No. This is not the forum to discuss the A7rII, this is the forum for medium format. What I posted, and what apparently went unnoticed in a wealth of new camera announcements, is that Phase One makes a special Capture One version for Sony.

So, apparently, there is a special partnership between Sony and Phase One or else they would not make a special free version of the software they sell for good money to Canon or Nikon users and deny to Pentax 645, Hasselblad and Leica S users.

jerome_m

I did not realise the special version of Capture One have been on offer for some time already. I noticed it with yesterday's cameras announcements.

miska

I get a full version of C1, because I have a Phase One back. But that only works for P1 backs. I also have a Sony camera. So I could download the Sony version of C1 (which seems to not be the full C1 version).
How many cameras do I need to gather, to get the fully functional-on-all-cameras C1 ? :D

jlm

Workshop Member
you will need to buy C1 if you want to use it for any and all of the cameras covered by C1. the digital back version is locked so it will only work on files from the phase back

miska

you will need to buy C1 if you want to use it for any and all of the cameras covered by C1. the digital back version is locked so it will only work on files from the phase back
I know, I know. I was being a bit sarcastic. I find it ridiculous that when you buy a digital back for 10-40k Euros (!!!!), Phase One cannot throw in a full version of C1. Seriously ? They have to give you a crippled version, so that you cannot process your lowly Canon files with it. :wtf:

Leica does it right, you get a full Lightroom license, which can even process Phase One digital back files.

Yes and I'm sure that deal came about becausue of the relationship that developed as a result of the Sony CMOS sensor in the Phase One.
Lets cut the hypocrisy then and petition them to add support for all cameras that use Sony sensors in them as well.

Edit: This is getting far too old at this point, I've been using Capture One since v4 and singing praises about it until I got my 645Z, and now all of a sudden I have to use Lightroom.
My install of C1 has never seen a Phase file go through it and it probably never will, so I don't see what they're so uptight about, it's clear that they charge out the nose for the stand-alone version because you're not using their camera to go along with it, so why would they care if it's a Leica S or Pentax 645 or Hassleblad if you're paying up anyway? You can't have both the most expensive and advanced Raw processor and also play favorites, exception being free for backs, it's bad marketing.

Last edited:

jlm

Workshop Member
agreed, and on top of that, it would be a feather in the Phase 1 cap to provide better raw processing for CFV50-c files than Phocus does

Don Libby

Can't wait to begin reading all the new posts where people explain with lots of graphs and crappy photos how this will be the death of medium format. :chug:

iiiNelson

Capture One for Sony has been around for nearly a year now. Came out simultaneously with Capture One Pro 8.

rhern213

I've had it since it came out.

They have a C1 express version for Sony that is free, however it has limited functions.

The C1 for Sony Pro version is the full fledged C1 Pro but obviously only supports Sony formats and P1 formats, and it's just $30.

Can't wait to begin reading all the new posts where people explain with lots of graphs and crappy photos how this will be the death of medium format. :chug:
I would sure love to have an A7RII in addition to my 645Z, as a walk-around camera, or for places that require discretion.

Now if only Sony comes out with a 33x44 BSI sensor and Pentax puts it on a 5-axis stabilizer... :eek:
The P645 body sure does have enough room around the sensor area for this to be feasible.