The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Filters for the 105mm thread

Don Libby

Not certain if I'm just tired and overlooked or am making a big deal out of nothing but here goes.

I've ordered both the XF as well as the 35 LS with a 105mm filter. I hate using threaded filters and perfer instead to use the Lee 100mm drop in system on both my Cambo and DF.

The $64,000 question is - is there a system curently existing that works similar to the Lee 100 system (lens adaptor screwed onto the lens and filters atached to the holder). Lee is offering a 150mm however they only attached via the lens hood on certain lenses. I've written them this same question but want to hear some ideas/feedback on the filter.

Don

alajuela

Not certain if I'm just tired and overlooked or am making a big deal out of nothing but here goes.

I've ordered both the XF as well as the 35 LS with a 105mm filter. I hate using threaded filters and perfer instead to use the Lee 100mm drop in system on both my Cambo and DF.

The $64,000 question is - is there a system curently existing that works similar to the Lee 100 system (lens adaptor screwed onto the lens and filters atached to the holder). Lee is offering a 150mm however they only attached via the lens hood on certain lenses. I've written them this same question but want to hear some ideas/feedback on the filter.

Don
Please let us know what you find out Don, If polarizer we have the Lee 105, but need a solution for Grads and NDs. On a hopeful note Lee did come out with an adapter for the 28LS.

Let keep our fingers crossed

Best

Phil

Paul2660

SK grimes may be able to make a custom adapter to allow you to use the 150 system. Lee just released a new set of filters in the 150 size.

Personally I woukd go with threaded as I prefer them. Lee has a nice 105 CLPL that is slim but appears a bit warmer than mist. Still a nice filter.

Hitech has their new Firecrest in the 105mm size. I have a 105mm ND on order but the are not shipping for some reason. Firecrest is white water schott glass with IR protection.

Paul

weinlamm

I'm not sure: but why you don't use the 105mm-ring from Lee...?

Lee offers:
Lee Standard Adapter rings 82mm to 105mm
It's a "100mm"-system - but I think if they offer such rings it should work. :confused:

And this won't work it's time enough to have a look again. :)

gazwas

As said above you can use a LEE 105mm standard adapter ring to still use the 100mm filter system.

See the adapters at the bottom of this page - LEE Filters Holders

Or if you want step up to the larger LEE 150mm filters you can use the SW150 holder and convert it to use the 100mm system adapter rings using the SW150 System adapter.

See the SW150 system adapter at the bottom of this page - Lee Filters SW150 Linhof Studio

Paul2660

I believe Lee standard rings will vignette on a wide like the 35mm. They have a thick collar and don't fit also NGOs the lens barrel like the Lee wide angle rings. I have even offered to pay Lee for a one time build for a 95mm and 105mm wide angle ring but no interest from Lee.

Paul

RodK

Heliopan makes a rotating 105mm 4" filter adapter and a 105mm rubber collapsible lens shade which can screw into the front of the adapter.
The adapter is brass and works quite well with any 4" filter. It is also superior to the 105mm adapter ring from Lee, which is quite thick and often vignettes wide lenses.
I use the 105mm rubber shade collapsed on some wide angle lenses and it does a a fair job of shading. But I often augment it with an additional black card.
I have not tried it with 28mm yet, but will as soon as I get a chance. I am waiting to try on a Rodenstock 32mm with Center filter as soon as Center filter arrives.

I use it occasionally with other lenses using Heliopan step rings. These rings, being brass, are less prone getting threads damaged, being bent in a camera bag and
then de-centering the filter causing a loss in sharpness on one side, etc. Pricier, but great investment.
Rod

carl-b

Guys if you are on facebook? Have a chat with Paul Magyar and see if he will make you a custom ring for the Lee system. He has in the past made a few bayonet adapter rings for various lenses for the Lee system. Or even see if a local machine shop can do the same for you. :)

Don Libby

Update: I contacted Lee about their SW150 system asking them if they had plans on producing a 105mm adaptor ring. The response I got back was the largest they currently make is 95mm with a suggestion that I consider using a reducer. Yeah sure I'm going to use a reducer on a 105mm lens....

Then I had a moment of clarity and remembered the Cokin X-Pro. I used Cokin filters in the past and was pleased with them. The great news is Cokin offers a 105mm adaptor ring for the X-Pro. I've placed my order.

And even more of an update - I've decided against the 35mm and have decided to jump into the 40-80 (has the same 105mm filter), this will reduce my lens load from 3 to 1 and the 40 isn't all that much different from the 35mm. If I need wider all I need to do is step back a pace or two.

Don

RodK

Update: I contacted Lee about their SW150 system asking them if they had plans on producing a 105mm adaptor ring. The response I got back was the largest they currently make is 95mm with a suggestion that I consider using a reducer. Yeah sure I'm going to use a reducer on a 105mm lens....

Then I had a moment of clarity and remembered the Cokin X-Pro. I used Cokin filters in the past and was pleased with them. The great news is Cokin offers a 105mm adaptor ring for the X-Pro. I've placed my order.

And even more of an update - I've decided against the 35mm and have decided to jump into the 40-80 (has the same 105mm filter), this will reduce my lens load from 3 to 1 and the 40 isn't all that much different from the 35mm. If I need wider all I need to do is step back a pace or two.

Don
Don, the Lee 105mm ring definitely vignettes.
But Formatt-Hitech has a better 105mm solution.
And they have a 165mm wide set for extremes.

https://www.formatt-hitech.com/

Just some possibilities.
Rod

Paul2660

The Hitech solution looks very good, but I still can't figure out how they will mount to the 105mm threads of the 35mm LS or say the 105mm front threads of the CF for the 32mm Rodenstock. They have a bunch of threaded adapters, but I wasn't able to find anything @ 105mm. They make the 150 x 150 sized solid ND in the firecrest glass which should be excellent. I have been waiting for the 105mm screw in ND for 2 months now from them, and now they are saying August, not sure if they really plan to make it.

They stop the wide angle rings @ 82mm just like Lee, so again not sure how to mount to the front of the 32mm which is 86mm without the CF.

For the 35mm LS or 40-80, the 150 x 150mm size would be perfect. And the Cokin 130 x 150mm (I believe that's right) as they make 130 x 170 in the grads. They went a bit narrower than Hitech or Lee. The Hitech 150mm x 150mm would also fit in the Lee 150SW setup as both take the 2mm thick filters.

Paul

carl-b

The Hitech solution looks very good, but I still can't figure out how they will mount to the 105mm threads of the 35mm LS or say the 105mm front threads of the CF for the 32mm Rodenstock. They have a bunch of threaded adapters, but I wasn't able to find anything @ 105mm. They make the 150 x 150 sized solid ND in the firecrest glass which should be excellent. I have been waiting for the 105mm screw in ND for 2 months now from them, and now they are saying August, not sure if they really plan to make it.

They stop the wide angle rings @ 82mm just like Lee, so again not sure how to mount to the front of the 32mm which is 86mm without the CF.

For the 35mm LS or 40-80, the 150 x 150mm size would be perfect. And the Cokin 130 x 150mm (I believe that's right) as they make 130 x 170 in the grads. They went a bit narrower than Hitech or Lee. The Hitech 150mm x 150mm would also fit in the Lee 150SW setup as both take the 2mm thick filters.

Paul
Paul it is a completely different set up to the standard 100mm systems. The threaded rings are only used on smaller lenses. Then it becomes a lens specific system, as in you need to buy the specific adapter for say nikon 14-24mm/ Phase one 28mm etc.

This might help. :)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jyaGbQdSGCA

Don Libby

Should really try and change the title of this thread to "Filters for the 105mm thread" but what the heck...

My 40-80 is scheduled to be here Monday. A couple of Cokin filters have already arrived and I should have the filter holder by Wednesday. The 105mm adaptor is a special order from B&H which take several weeks however the good news is that Best Buy of all places had them in stock and I should have it Monday as well. Looks like FedEx and UPS will be fighting for space to make their deliveries Monday :p.

What makes both lenses different is the filters screw onto the lens and not attached to a lens hood like a 28mm. I'll have a write up posted just as soon as possible. Right now, I can report the Cokin filters that I do have look to be on par with the Singh-Ray and Lee filters I currently use on my Cambo however the real proof will be in the files...

Don

bahr

Should really try and change the title of this thread to "Filters for the 105mm thread" but what the heck...

My 40-80 is scheduled to be here Monday. A couple of Cokin filters have already arrived and I should have the filter holder by Wednesday. The 105mm adaptor is a special order from B&H which take several weeks however the good news is that Best Buy of all places had them in stock and I should have it Monday as well. Looks like FedEx and UPS will be fighting for space to make their deliveries Monday :p.

What makes both lenses different is the filters screw onto the lens and not attached to a lens hood like a 28mm. I'll have a write up posted just as soon as possible. Right now, I can report the Cokin filters that I do have look to be on par with the Singh-Ray and Lee filters I currently use on my Cambo however the real proof will be in the files...

Don

Hi Don,

Really interested to see your solution for these lenses. I've spoken to someone from phase with regards to the 28 and he mentioned that they have a solution in the works for filter holders. Looking at my 28mm and 40-80mm I'm struggling to find a good solution locally in Dubai.

Sincerely,

Bahr

Don Libby

Hang in there Bahr, I'm getting the 40-80 tomorrow as well as the adaptor ring. I've got the filters and all I need is the filter holder which will be here Wed. I plan to spend Thursday shooting/testing everything and will report back.

Don

Lars

I have whole set of Cokin X-Pro filters and holders if anyone's interested. It's been sitting in a drawer since 2003. Should I try to sell it?

I went to Lee 100mm holders instead, the critical lens (this was for 8x10) was the 150XL with center filter, lens is 95mm and CF is 105 mm thread.
The Lee holder I have for that CF clamps the outside of the filter without vignetting the corners.
While the filter doesn't cover the entire diameter of the filter on the short end, this solution turned out to work as long as the filter holder has the same orientation as the image.

Don Libby

Here's a fast update on the 105mm adaptor ring from Cokin.

Shows the adaptor ring attached to the Phase One 40-80

This one shows the adaptor ring and Cokin X-Pro attachedwith out a filter

And this one shows all 3, adaptor ring, filter holder andfilter.

And just for kicks and gags here's a photo shot yesterday(handheld) (The file was cropped to post on Instagram)

Short answer is that it works very well.

Don

Lars

Looks good, actually some margin there - the real challenge will be the 35, right?

Don Libby

Just a warning on Cokin 105mm adaptor rings for the 40-80and X-Pro.

Cokin actually offers 2-slightly different rings at one-centdifference in price. One, which is marked.75 that is in stock at B&H and the other 1.00 that's a special order.Cokin marks the threads as .75mm and 1.00mmshowing both for the X-Pro.

I had placed my order for the 1.00 about 2-weeks ago beforeI knew that there were two different rings. The good news is that I'm waiting for that ring to arrive today.

While waiting for the original order to come I happened uponthe .75 being offered by Best Buy of all places. Up until yesterday I had no knowledge of thetwo-size differences or that they were both offered by B&H.

Simply put, I don't care for the .75 as I feel it doesn'tthread as smoothly as what I believe it should. Granted I dislike any threaded filter which is the reason I use the flat100 and 130mm filters.I believe thespecial order ring should fit better but can't say for certain until UPSdecides to show up.

I'll keep everyone posted on the outcome.

Don

Don Libby

Lars, I'm keeping Dave Gallagher and Anthony at Capture Integration posted on this as they are just as interested. Once we have the correct threaded adaptor ring then I believe their next step is to order everything and test it on the 35LS. I tried to get it as a loaner however since they currently only have the one they can't part with it for an extended period of time.

Don