The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Rodenstock 40 HR vs Schneider 43-XL

Egor

Any thoughts on helping me with this choice?
Studio product use mostly, with occasional arch interior/exterior.
I will be using a view camera Cambo Ultima 23D or Arca Swiss M
Digital back used primarily will be IQ250 CMOS and occasionally Leaf Credo-80

I am currently leaning toward the Rodenstock 40 but only because I am told it should work better with the micro lenses on the IQ250. I have no experience with those issues so don't know.

Also, there seems to be a lot of variation in the Rodenstock line between blue bands, magenta bands...etc. Whats that about?

I think the SK 43-XL has larger ic, less distortion (I have read), and is of course much cheaper (about $1500 less!)

Confused a bit here, don't want to spend $4k on a lens and make the wrong choice. I know, I know...$10k here, $40K there...pretty soon you're talking "real money"....;)

I have pretty much already decided on the SK 120 ASPH and APO Digitar 90 for the "normal" lengths, but any thoughts on those also helpful. My main decision now is this wide lens solution, thats the pricey guy. (of course I could always spring for the Rodenstock 90 and make them all seem cheap in comparison)
Thanks in advance for any info!

jagsiva

The 40HR is certainly better on the CMOS back. It also has less color cast on the 80MP back. IC is smaller on the 40HR, but Rodie is a little more conservative on spec. It is also wider so from I what I recall on the 43XL, the total FoV is a wash.

Rodie is also much bigger and more expensive, but it was my choice for an IQ180 over the 43XL.

The 120ASPH is a great lens. The Schneider 60XL (newer one) is also fantastic. For 90, I would give the Rodie 90HRSW or the slightly older 90HR-W a serious look. The HRSW is pretty sweet.

jlm

Workshop Member
best wide lens near that is the 32 rodie, and with the cropped frame 250, about the same fov as the 40... need to bear that in mind when comparing comments based on a full frame back, esp regarding useable image circle, etc.
i had the 43 with my IQ160 and loved it; now i have the 32 with my CFV50-c and love that; big lens in every way

Paul2660

The 40 Rodie only comes in the blue band and is in the HR-W line up like the 32mm.

On the 250 you will be able to shift to about 15mm anything over that will not recover that well for color cast. It would be interesting to see how the 43 worked. Great lens also but I would use the CF.

Jim's got a good point about the 32mm. It should be a good companion to the 250 if you find a good one.

Paul

Egor

Thanks for the info! Very helpful.

I need the wide 40 mostly for forced perspective product shots on table. I don't do landscapes and figure I can stitch pan if need to expand on the few interiors I do. The 32mm Rodie is too expensive and too specific a purpose for me in this 1st round on the view camera I think... FoV not that important, just the kind of perspective one gets with wide angle closeups (picture a small perfume bottle or stereo speaker or shoe shot low and closeup for that "heroic-monumental" look)
I have achieved this look with a borrowed 47 on an old Sinar P2 film camera so with the new digital view camera I have opportunity to get new digital lenses. Thats why I am torn on this. The SK 90 APO Digitar is part of a used lens deal I couldn't pass up, so will try it 1st for that range.
Only other lens I may need after this will be a dedicated macro capable of 2/1 or so...but am going to see how the 120ASPH and SK90 works for this 1st to see.

PeterL

The SK120ASPH replaces both the older 120N and 120M (Macro) - and does an excellent job for macro. Highly recommended.

Cheers, -Peter