The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

IQ 180 w/ DF+ 80 LS purchase questions..

aztwang

I am looking at a used IQ 180, DF+ body and a couple lenses. It still has warranty that expires April 2017. A couple of questions:

Can I send the back into Phase 1 for some type of inspection or tune- up and buy additional warranty, I seem to recall seeing that in a post.

All the items currently are in boxes, no case, does Phase 1 offer A hard pelican type of case with custom foam for their kits?

Anything else I should look for?..... First medium format for me.

Thanks

Don

gerald.d

When I bought my IQ180 privately, it was still under warranty. I had the option of extending the warranty for another year - you have to make that decision (and pay up!) before the initial warranty period finishes.

I don't think you can simply send the back to Phase One for it to be checked out. I had an issue with mine where the calibration of the sensor was not quite right, so sent it back for that. They did a full check-up on the back as part of that service (I think also including a filter replacement).

Based on my experience with Phase One, I have to say that I think the warranty is very good value.

One thing to note - you will (almost certainly) not be able to send it directly to Phase One. You will have to go through your local dealer.

Unless there have been any changes recently, the warranty is international and transferable. It shouldn't matter where or how you get the back - if it's under warranty and needs a service, your local dealer should look after you.

Kind regards,

Gerald.

malmac

I received a hard pelican style case with the P65+ but when we upgraded to the IQ180 we got it in a cardboard box. No pelican case.

Mal

f8orbust

First off, I would get the serial number of the back and drop Phase One a message through their support website and check if they’ve ever had it reported as stolen (they’re helpful in this regard). Of course if there’s a paper trail back to it being purchased new (e.g. you’re dealing with the original owner) that helps, but you can never be too sure.

Other than that just the usual checks with regards to used gear - what's the chain of ownership - any dings or dents - does the wear reflect how it was used (amateur vs. professional) - any warranty left - do all the buttons work - any dead spots on the touch screen - take one completely black (underexposed) and one white (overexposed) frame (if you can, or get the seller to do this and send you RAWs) and check for hot/dead pixels or obvious sensor tiling, which may mean the back has to be re-calibrated - has the back ever been repaired - check for paint loss or signs of wear on the screws - any sign of battery corrosion in the battery compartment - any signs of mineral residue (e.g. salt spray) anywhere - any scratches on the sensor cover glass - any signs of paint touch up - does the general wear and tear of the back match the shot count (e.g. you would expect a back with 100,000 activations to show a degree of wear and tear, but not one with a shot count of 100) - any sound of something loose when you tip it back and forth - is it ex-rental - was it regularly serviced - do the FireWire and USB ports work ok - no loose connections - is the Firmware up to date - when mounted to the camera is there any 'play' - how was it bought originally - was its purchase financed - if so is this paid off - was it bought off lease - etc. etc.

These things are pretty much bomb proof (kudos to Phase One) and if there are no obvious technical issues you’ll almost certainly be ok - and you’ll be saving a ton of cash (since the going rate for a private sale IQ180 is around the ~$15k mark with some warranty, less without any warranty remaining).

Finally, if it’s in your nature - remember to haggle - it’s a buyers market for this gear - and with full-frame CMOS probably not that far from appearing, it's going to stay that way (i.e. the used price is only going one way, and it's not up).

Good luck with the purchase.

Jim

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
In answer to the questions from the OP = yes to all questions. That said, the other advice here is 100% relevant too.

I'd buy a nice used IQ180 tomorrow in an instant at the right price.

aztwang

Update: Well things changed up a bit. I ended up going with a IQ 160 (3k actuations), that included a DF+, a 55LS, 80LS, and a 150LS all mint and perfect plus a bunch of misc stuff. Why did I change direction..Price, thats the only reason...Hope I made a wise decision...
I'll have it in the next week and the fun begins...wish me good luck! I love a challenge!!!

malmac

I for one hope you enjoy your new camera system.

The 55LS is in my opinion a great lens - the 80LS is fine, I just rarely use it and unfortunately I don't own a 150LS - but would like to.

Hope all goes well.

Mal