The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Alpa: 32mmHR/90mm HRSW/SK60mm with SWA/Max/FPS

Landscapelover

Senior Subscriber Member
I would like to get advice from friends at GetDPI for the best mounts of the Rodie 32mm, 90mm HRSW and SK 60mm XL and necessary adapters to use with the 17 T/S adapter and the SWA/Max and FPS.
I read the previous post and was confused.

Thank you very much for your comments.

Pramote

Landscapelover

Senior Subscriber Member
Thanks very much Steve! I've already looked at the link you provided and still don't understand exactly what the best mounts I should get for the above lenses to maximize the use of:
1) FPS alone
2) FPS plus Max/SWA
3) Max/SWA alone
I've probably had dyslexia :)

gerald.d

Thanks very much Steve! I've already looked at the link you provided and still don't understand exactly what the best mounts I should get for the above lenses to maximize the use of:
1) FPS alone
2) FPS plus Max/SWA
3) Max/SWA alone
I've probably had dyslexia :)
For the 32HR -

1 - Rodenstock / ALPA HR Alpagon 4.0/32 mm, FPS SB17

2 - above plus ALPA Intermediate 17 mm adapter

3 - I'd still recommend 2, because if you ever do get an FPS down the line, you'd kick yourself for not being prepared.

For the 90HR -

Rodenstock / ALPA HR Alpagon 5.6/90 mm, SB34 for all options, plus

1 - ALPA 12 FPS tilt/swing adapter 0-5°, ALPA 17 mm

2 - the above and ALPA Intermediate 17 mm adapter

3 - I'd still recommend 2, because if you ever do get an FPS down the line, you'd kick yourself for not being prepared.

For the SK60mm -

1 - http://www.alpa.ch/en/article/apo-helvetar-5-660-mm-fps-sb17

2 - above plus ALPA Intermediate 17 mm adapter

Kind regards,

Gerald.

/edit
I came up with a better option for the 90HR. Apologies for those who read it already - ignore what I had before. Also missed your requirement for tilting, so took out the option.

Last edited:

gerald.d

So basically, this is your shopping list to cover all eventualities -

Rodenstock / ALPA HR Alpagon 4.0/32 mm, FPS SB17

Rodenstock / ALPA HR Alpagon 5.6/90 mm, SB34

Schneider / ALPA Apo-Helvetar 5.6/60 mm, FPS SB17

ALPA Intermediate 17 mm adapter

ALPA 12 FPS tilt/swing adapter 0-5°, ALPA 17 mm

Kind regards,

Gerald.

/edit

Uh oh. I was a bit hasty there.

The above options will only allow you to tilt with the 90 (on all cameras). If you want to tilt the 32 and 60, you can only do this on the Max/SWA if you purchase -

http://www.alpa.ch/en/article/hr-alpagon-4-032-mm-sb17

http://www.alpa.ch/en/article/apo-helvetar-5-660-mm-sb17

and use

http://www.alpa.ch/en/article/tilt-swing-adapter-0-5-17-mm

You need to think very carefully here - if you need to tilt the SB17 lenses, the FPS is not an option.

Landscapelover

Senior Subscriber Member
Thanks very much Gerald! This is the best clear advice I've ever got although I need time to digest. I will certainly have more questions after I read through this.
This confirms I've had dyslexia :)

gerald.d

Thanks very much Gerald! This is the best clear advice I've ever got although I need time to digest. I will certainly have more questions after I read through this.
This confirms I've had dyslexia :)
You're welcome :)

The challenge here is your desire to tilt.

There is not an option that enables you to purchase a SB17 lens that will work on both FPS and Max/SW, and allow you to tilt that lens on the Max/SW.

Kind regards,

Gerald.

Landscapelover

Senior Subscriber Member
Gerald Please correct me if I am wrong. For the 32mm and 60mm, you've had only 2 options:

1) With FPS SB17. You can use them with the FPS, SWA/Max (with adapter) but you can't use them with FPS T/S adapter 17mm in any cameras.

2) With SB17. You cannot use them with the FPS at all. However, you can use them with FPS T/S adapter 17mm on SWA/Max.

Gerald, I've had 2 questions.
1) If you start from scratch, which ones you will choose for FPS, SWA and Max.
2) Will you choose Rodenstock 50mm instead of SK60mm? Am I right that you can put the 50mm on SB34 and can use it with 17mm T/S adapter on both the FPS and SWA/Max.

Thanks very much!

Pramote

gerald.d

Your first 1 and 2 -

1. Yes. Exactly.

2. Not quite - you need the regular T/S adapter, not the FPS T/S adapter.

Your two questions -

1 - if you want FPS, you have to sacrifice tilt with the two lenses on the Max/SWA. If you want tilt, you have to sacrifice using those two lenses on the FPS. That's basically the choice you have to make.

2 - I'm not familiar with the SK, so can't really comment. But yes - if you got the Rodie 50, then it's like the 90 - you can have the best of both worlds (you need the FPS tilt adapter, and the 17mm adapter as listed on the 90 option I gave).

Kind regards,

Gerald.

Landscapelover

Senior Subscriber Member
Thanks very much Gerald! I think I understand everything now.
I really appreciate your knowledge and contribution to our GetDPI community.

Pramote

Your first 1 and 2 -

1. Yes. Exactly.

2. Not quite - you need the regular T/S adapter, not the FPS T/S adapter.

Your two questions -

1 - if you want FPS, you have to sacrifice tilt with the two lenses on the Max/SWA. If you want tilt, you have to sacrifice using those two lenses on the FPS. That's basically the choice you have to make.

2 - I'm not familiar with the SK, so can't really comment. But yes - if you got the Rodie 50, then it's like the 90 - you can have the best of both worlds (you need the FPS tilt adapter, and the 17mm adapter as listed on the 90 option I gave).

Kind regards,

Gerald.

narikin

Basically the most flexible mount for all situations is the SB Short Barrel. With that, and the appropriate adapters, you can work out all the needs you outline.

The only reason to buy another mount is if you want to avoid the adapters and all the rigmarole that ensues. e.g. if you know you are going to shoot straight with a 60mm on the FPS 99% of the time, it might be worth considering that in an FPS mount.

This is a situation where Cambo with its built in body tilt has an advantage, have to say.

Landscapelover

Senior Subscriber Member
Thank you for your comment.
I think choosing the Tech camera depends mainly on taste and enjoyment of handling rather than image quality. Functionally, I think Arca Swiss is probably the best. Craftsmanship wise, nothing can compare to Alpa. If you have to by T/S adapter, intermediated adapter etc. for Cambo, it would be out of business. The SWA is always on the shelf in front of me! I watch it much more often than I use it :) It will be the last camera I sell. It's too beautiful. Crazy?
Anyone know how much does it cost to get the Alpa SB mounts (SB 34, SB17, FPS SB17)?

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
A little late to this thread - work & travel always seems to get in the way!

Anyway, with respect to the adapter changes, I'd ping Alpa about the current cost but the last time I asked it was about $500+ for LB to any other Alpa mount. (Definitely check because my memory is maybe off and it may have been part of the FPS launch - it was a while ago)

As Gerald and co. have described, if you want movements with wides under 50mm, you need to go SB17 as the mount and overall it's the most flexible mount overall for all Alpa 12 models. However, the FPS limits your abilities to use tilts with SB17 lenses and so you're looking at FPS SB17 mounts for 32/40mm wides with no movements or SB34 native mount lenses with FPS tilt/swing adapter (i.e. 50mm+).

The Alpa 12 STC is definitely my camera of choice that I use most often with MFDB. I have the FPS but in reality I use it pretty seldomly. When I think about why, the reason is basically the lack of tilt capabilities and interoperability of my current 23HR & 40HR in native or SB17 mounts. In fact, when I want to shoot wide with movements I actually use the Canon adapter and use it with my Canon 17/24 TS-E lenses but by comparison the Rodies really are a lot sharper.

Last edited:

Landscapelover

Senior Subscriber Member
Thanks very much Graham for your comments. It's very helpful and I really appreciate it.
I've been clear now about the choices of lenses and SB types. Thanks everyone!

Thanks to Steve, I got the email from Alpa and the mount is 1600+ Swiss Franc. Such a hefty price! Surprise? No, not any more for Alpa. It's a prize you pay for craftsmanship and innovation.

One of the reasons I've got the FPS is for the Canon 17/24 TSE. To be able to use them with the IQ180 is just fantastic. I agree they're not as sharp as my Rodies 23/28 mm but very close and I'm very happy with them.

Pramote