The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Capture One DB

tjv

I all,
Just wondering, is Capture One DB still free to download and use for owners of Leaf Credo digital backs? Am in the process of acquiring, through a private sale with someone I know, and after years of research and patient deal searching, my very own Credo 60. All going to plan, I should see it in a few weeks. If possible, I'd like to download and install the DB software to see how it works before the back arrives. Problem is, I can't seem to find any logical links.
Any advise appreciated!
Thanks,
TJV

tjv

Found it. Didn't realise it was part of the Pro download and not a seperate file. Now just got to brush up on C1 tools etc. It's been a while!

Mgreer316

Also realize that your can process Credo files in Lightroom as well. I use C1 for tethering, but LR for processing. Why? Because I'm more proficient in LR, I prefer the LR workflow, and I don't see any significant difference in image quality between LR and C1. YMMV.

ChrisLivsey

Found it. Didn't realise it was part of the Pro download and not a seperate file. Now just got to brush up on C1 tools etc. It's been a while!
You'll see some changes then. I use the DB version, but fired up the free LE version I got with the M8 the other night, boy have we moved on. Incremental you don't notice but take a few steps back it's another planet.

photo570

This throws a lot of people, and Phase don't really make it that clear on their site when you go looking.

There is only none "Version" of C1 at any one time. The difference is only in the Licence and what features are included for what you have paid.

For example the DB version is free, but only works fully with a Phase or Leaf back. Pro works with pretty much anything, and the Sony version works with for example the A99 and the AptusII5 which I have, but it is all the same installer, which is where the confusion can start.

What you get is controlled by the licence and there are various versions, DB, Pro, LE, Sony LE, Sony Pro.

Cheers,
Jason.

tjv

I've processed some files already in LR, including using their LCC equivilent plug in. Great results, but keen to see the difference in processing between the programs for myself. I think the LCC stuff will be better done in C1, so I want to test that.
Yes, the last time I used C1 was with the M8, so things are looking pretty crazy to me right now!

Mgreer316

I've processed some files already in LR, including using their LCC equivilent plug in. Great results, but keen to see the difference in processing between the programs for myself.
Absolutely. That's the only way it should be. I only brought it up because not everybody knows Lightroom supports medium format formats. It's always better to have more options and fewer.

I think the LCC stuff will be better done in C1, so I want to test that.
You would think. But I haven't found that to be the case. You'd think that Canon's DPP and Nikon's NX2 software would yield better results than LR or C1 on Canon and Nikon cameras, but they don't in practice. Not saying LR yields better results on Leaf files than C1 because it doesn't. IMO they yield equally great results. Some claim C1 yields better default renderings. That may be true. But I never use only default settings. Curious as to what you discover. So please report back.