The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Shutter release cable for technical camera

Landscapelover

Senior Subscriber Member
Dear friends,

I am wondering you'd like to share what good quality shutter release cables you've been using, price, and where to buy them.

Thank you,

Pramote

Pemihan

I got some really nice ones from Cambo. Don't recall the price but nothing exorbitant.

Peter

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
I've had three Cambo cable releases. I must be too hard on them. The first one died in a few months. The other two within hours. Something stretched and the plunger no longer reached far enough. They do thread nicely through the hand grip, and they're attractive, but I'd rather have an ugly release that's more robust. I now use something inexpensive from B&H.

--Matt

Paul2660

I also vote for Gepe. I have the red ones also as they show up better in my bag.

Best solution I have seen is the Alpa integrated shutter release but I don't think it works on anything but Alpa.

Paul

Don Libby

I've been using Gepe cables for several years with no problems. Picked up a colored one since I kept losing the black.

Digitalcameraman

Dear friends,

I am wondering you'd like to share what good quality shutter release cables you've been using, price, and where to buy them.

Thank you,

Pramote

Pramote,

We have the Alpa, the one that ships with the Kapture Group One Shot, the Gepe, and I think one more version.

Which solution do you wish to use it with? Copal Shutter ? You have so many solutions is the only reason I ask, LOL.
We could ship you one of each and you could decide which works best for your application.

Cambo WRS requires a certain size to fit thru grip. Kapture Group release requires a certain throw distance to activate the One Shot mechanism.

Ect.

Landscapelover

Senior Subscriber Member
Chris...You can't blame me. I've had 3 months off!
I just want a simple solution. The one that's work and reliable. So I've used either "zero latency" or "P1 wake-up cable".
I broke 2 Kapture one shot releases and no longer use it.
You're the best, my friend.
Thanks very much.
Pramote

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Another vote for the Nikon AR3. I've tried everything from Linhof, Gepe, Ebony and in the end I found myself going back to Nikon. I just wished they weren't black because I regularly lose them too but at least the Nikon's aren't expensive. (Tip - put yellow or red tape loop on the release - you can find it in the grass/dark/dirt when you drop it!)

i hate locking releases but the Nikon ones seem to work well and won't inadvertently latch, which is my complaint with most others. The Ebony release is nice if you want one without a lock on it.

Thanks for the Nikon AR3 tip - looks just the thing for my new lenses (60XL and 40HR). I keep one release and one Phase trigger cable on each lens as I find fiddling with tiny threads out in the wilds seriously tricky and time-consuming. For £80 total spend, it's not too expensive to have one per lens.

Dear friends,

Thank you,

Pramote

dchew

I too have both the Nikon AR3 and the Ebony. They are both great but I use the Ebony just because I don't want a locking release. I used the Nikon for several years though; now it is my backup.

Dave