The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Wide angle lens 20, 25 or 29mm or a 25mm/75mm Zoom

ndwgolf

Guys,
I am in a pickle over getting a Leica S zoom lens (30-90mm f3.5-5.6 Vario Elmar) or getting one wide angle Prime lens. Each of the prime lenses are ~£6000 where as the zoom is nearly £8000
Its really not a money thing but more a IQ thing or the freedom of a zoom.............I know normal DSLR zoom lenses loose some IQ but according to Leica that is not the case with there zoom lenses..........sure there going to say that :)

So my question is get a prime and if so which one ............ or get the zoom?

kimyeesan

After experiencing both, I think each has its merits. I will say the 30-90 is a very versatile tools and acceptable compromise in terms of optics/IQ. I practically replaced 3 prime lens in one go. If you have no other leica S lens, I think this will be perfect. If you already have a set of lens with focal length overlapping the 30-90. I think your choice will be difficult. cause I will always want to get the prime to increase IQ on most occasion.

Anyway, no true answer, it's just how well-lined is your pocket...

ndwgolf

If you have no other leica S lens, I think this will be perfect. If you already have a set of lens with focal length overlapping the 30-90. I think your choice will be difficult. cause I will always want to get the prime to increase IQ on most occasion.

QUOTE]
I am getting a New S body with a 70mm Kit lens so that is the only lens I will have. I also shoot studio portraiture I so will eventually be getting a 120mm Macro with CS for that. My other love is landscape so hence the question about the WA lens :)

triangle

Surely a predicament no one else has found themselves in ;-)

I guess it depends on your style of landscape shooting. I usually have one wide prime and one zoom and find I use them in equal measure although i will always try and use the prime first not just because of the IQ but also because I find shooting with a fixed focal length a lot simpler and far more enjoyable. A wide prime forces you to make compositional choices within the context of its focal length and I personally love the challenge this presents. I value my wide primes far above any zoom I have ever owned and that includes my Canon, Hasselblad and Phase systems. The wide always delivered my best images, both in terms of IQ and composition. If i had to give up my wide prime or my zoom, the zoom would always be the one to go.

I hope that helps. Really, though, you should buy both :->

algrove

That 30-90 is a stellar lens and very good for general/landscape use. For portraits consider the 100/2.0. Also, if you can just skip the "kit" lens and go for others. Are you getting the S 007?

ndwgolf

Mate the Kit lens is basically free........they told me the S006 body without the 70mm lens is the same price as the S006 with the lens.
No the 007 is to pricy for me right now :)

algrove

The whole system is too pricey for most right now. That's why I went with the 645Z. Body only $7500 with 51MP and the best confguration of the Sony chip until now, including Haselblad and Phase One. That is a real MF since it has 36% more MP and larger photo sites than the S. Have you read the lula article by Michael Reichman?

Ken_R

Guys,
I am in a pickle over getting a Leica S zoom lens (30-90mm f3.5-5.6 Vario Elmar) or getting one wide angle Prime lens. Each of the prime lenses are ~£6000 where as the zoom is nearly £8000
Its really not a money thing but more a IQ thing or the freedom of a zoom.............I know normal DSLR zoom lenses loose some IQ but according to Leica that is not the case with there zoom lenses..........sure there going to say that :)

So my question is get a prime and if so which one ............ or get the zoom?
Money no object, for landscapes I would get the 24mm and the 30-90mm. No need for more (at least for me :) )

algrove

Which one is that mate........do you have a link??
https://luminous-landscape.com/pentax-645z-in-depth-review/

If you do not know who this guy is, most that personally know him say he has owned just about every camera system known to man.

I am confused why you would move backwards from CMOS to the old CCD technology, expecially since you seem to like the Nikon 36MP CMOS Sony chip which the 645Z, Hasselblad and Phase One all have commonality with where Sony is currently considered to be the leading sensor manufacturer. At least the new S007 announced at Photokina last September, which is to be able to be ordered perhaps in July, will at least have a 37.5MP CMOS chip.

Last edited:
M

mjr

Morning

Moving backwards to CCD technology is an odd thing to say in my opinion, just because CMOS technology is newer and has some distinct advantages in some areas, it doesn't mean that CCD tech is not capable of producing exactly the results some people want. It would be like saying to 645z owners, why move backwards to a film era 645 body style in a world of mirrorless cameras that can fit in the palm of your hand, it doesn't mean anything because it's down to personal preference.

My opinion having used Nikon bodies for ages is that the files from the CMOS sensors have so much latitude that files often appear to lack depth and tone, shadows boosted, highlights reduced, it might mean producing pictures that may not have been taken before but it doesn't necessarily mean "better" pictures, whatever that is. I personally love deep dark shadows, I like depth and I find in my own shots that the rendition from the CCD is just far richer for what I like.

And that's the point for me, technology can move as fast as it likes but it has to work for me and help me produce pictures I want to produce, there is no right or wrong, no backwards or forwards, there is choice and we should celebrate the fact that we have access to amazing tools to hep us produce our vision.

Mat

ndwgolf

https://luminous-landscape.com/pentax-645z-in-depth-review/

I am confused why you would move backwards from CMOS to the old CCD technology, expecially since you seem to like the Nikon 36MP CMOS Sony chip which the 645Z, Hasselblad and Phase One all have commonality with where Sony is currently considered to be the leading sensor manufacturer. At least the new S007 announced at Photokina last September, which is to be able to be ordered perhaps in July, will at least have a 37.5MP CMOS chip.
Algrove.
I would love to have the new S-007 but like I said before I can't afford one. The Pentax doesn't have leaf shutter so would be no use for me shooting strobes on location and I am not a perfectionist..................CCD CMOS is just a sensor to me. I have seen the results from the Leica S and like them I also like the idea of not having to fork out 30 to 40 grand for a new camera system when I can just trade in my old M gear and get a new toy...........thats it a new toy :) :)

algrove

Understand Neil that your minds made up and that's fine. However, I use studio stobes at 1/125 all the time since it's the strobes that fire the exposure, not the lens. Most pros I have been with use the same philosophy and even use it outdoors without CS lenses by taking ambient and then setting the strobe accordingly. For example, Fred Conrad uses this method every day.

Neil, remember I am not the guy trying to sell you something, I am just trying to get you to think about your decision and options. I am part Scottish so I know how stubborn a lot we can be. For example, you say you cannot "afford" to get the S007, but you are buying into the most expensive MF system of the two that have one body options. Sure, the S006 is cheaper. It should be since they have tons of unsold bodies as people who want an S wait for the S007. Have you even looked at the 645Z? Have you had someone expalin the camera to you while you hold it? Do you really think some store (friend or not-he has to make money) is offering you more than market for your used Leica gear? If truly afforidng something is important, ask around to more than one other store for used M gear prices. The 645Z body costs around $6500 in Japan right now. The new 90 costs around $3500. Is that something you can afford? The z body is around half the price of an S006 with so much more to offer. Wait until you decide to trade in the S006. Expect to be told how old a technology it is, etc. etc. Trade in the 645Z and it is new technology. Have you read and digested the plethora of comments, user reports and literature on the 645Z? I have owned 14 digital Leicas, but would not buy the S because it is just too expensive. Even Ming Thein, who could well afford the S says its prices are in nose bleed territory.

OK, I am done and do enjoy whatever you get. Either way it will a learning curve and I know your patience level is sometimes lacking. So be prepared.

Last edited: