The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Pentax 645Z vs Canon 5DSR

jerome_m

IIRC the Hasselblad H 24 and 28mm lenses are for the smaller sensors.
The HCD 24 and 28mm are designed for a 36x48mm size, but are usable on the largest sensors.

The following sizes exist in MF digital (rounded to the next mm):

40x54mm (60 and 80 mpix, about 645 film image area)
36x48mm (old 39 and 50 mpix CCDs)
33x44mm (old 31 and 40 mpix CCDs, new 50 mpix CMOS)
30x45mm (Leica S2)

The last two are about the same area, Leica chose a slightly different size to be able to use the 2:3 image ratio.

turtle

I do not agree that the older Pentax film era lenses don't make sense on 33x44. Most of the film era Pentax 645 lenses are actually lighter than the later DA models designed for the smaller digital sensor. Compare the 120mm Macro (700g) with the 90mm Macro (1000g, albeit with SR). The modern 28-45, as amazing as it is (and if anyone wants to see some full-width samples I posted some here), weighs 1500g, which is over 600g more than the older 45-85 FA, for example (I know this is apples to oranges, but you get the idea).

I think the greater weight of the modern DA lenses is the fact that the digital sensors are exceedingly demanding and the new lenses have a lot of glass in them! Make no mistake, however, many of the older lenses are very good indeed. My 35mm A is astonishingly good and weighs less than 500g. The 75mm FA is sharp as a tack and weighs just over 200g and takes a 58mm filter! Quite frankly, you'd have to be window licking mad to pay five times more for a super duper DA version of the same lenses when some of the legacy lenses are still so good on the 645Z. Maybe a future 70MP sensor will be more demanding, but right now the existence of so many good quality affordable legacy lenses is one of the main selling points of the 645Z IMHO. They're not all great and there are some real dogs, but a bit of research is rewarded with huge savings.

As a point of interest, if you scale up the 42mp sensor in the A7R II to 33x44, you get 71 MP. At this point, as long as the lenses can keep up (and I have no doubt the best lenses will), further increases in MP will make absolutely no difference to how good you 50" prints look to the majority of eyes and so I feel the 33x44mm sensor will prove just big enough. Sure, bigger formats will go higher, but whether mortals have any need for it is debatable.

Pentax has the 645 DA lenses (the 28-45mm being the flagship IMHO) which are designed for the smaller than 645 digital sensors but are still quit large because they have to deal with the inherited (from the 645 format) large focal flange distance from the film days.
As far as I know all the new lenses cover full 645, the 55 & 90mm 2.8 have been 100% confirmed to do so, one of the 25mm variants has a reduced hood that avoids vignetting on film, and I'm not sure about the 28-45, but somehow I doubt that a lens that enormous doesn't have the capability. Even the absurdly wide Canon 11-24mm has been shown to cover 33x44 at 15mm, and possibly more if the hood is shaved off.

turtle

Interesting! I thought the 28-45mm did not, but I may have been thinking of the 25mm with the narrow hood.

.... but now I need to get a 645N II :D

Ed Hurst

The 28-45 is classified as DA and not DFA which suggests that it doesn't cover full frame 645. I am not certain, but I think that's right... Certainly that's the way the notation is using with the 25mm lenses; the DFA covers full frame, the DA version does not.