The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Filter setup for Rodenstock 32mm with CF (for ND, graduated ND and polarizer)

Landscapelover

Senior Subscriber Member
I would like to get help regarding the filter setup for the Rodenstock 32mm HRW with CF which I will use with 3 filters, ND, graduated ND and polarizing.

Thank you very much in advance and have a great summer.

Pramote

Paul2660

The 32mm Rodenstock goes to 105mm with the CF. The normal 4 x 4 Lee system will not cover this, especially if you want shift.

The solution I have seen that seem to work is use of the Cokin setup or use 105mm threaded filters.

Cokin X-Pro:

They make a 1.0mm threaded 105mm ring. Their filters are 130 x 170 and will cover the 105mm filter. You can get both a Linear polarizer and ND (solid or grad) in their setup. Not cheap, but nothing in this scale is.

105mm filters

Lee makes a 105mm CL-PL, thin excellent I use this on my Lee hood for my 40mm Rodenstock. This is very thin CL-PL and can cross thread easily. But it's all glass. I have to assume it would thread to the 105mm 1.0 threads on the CF for the 32mm Rodenstock.

Hi-Tech states that they make a 105mm series of thin ND filters in the Firecrest line. I have been trying to get the 1.2x in the 105 now for over 4 months. No idea of Hi-tech is really going to make them. They are IR cut and from what I have read about the smaller firecrest ND filters they are good glass.

Tiffen makes a 105 series in the high end filter sets, but they are not thin and will most likely cause vignetting and no one ever has them in stock but they can be special ordered.

Paul

Landscapelover

Senior Subscriber Member
Paul...Thank you very much for your comment. I really appreciate your contribution to the GetDPI. Your comments've always been very accurate and thoughtful.
Do you know with this setup, how far can you shift?
What bellow do you use to prevent the flare?
Which one is better for ND, square/rectangle or circular for long exposure between 6-10 stops? If it's CPL, what brand?

Thanks again,

Pramote

jagsiva

I use 105mm slim Heliopan ND and CPL filters. When shifted, the CPL alone or with other filters will limit movements. First post shows uncorrected files, second post has LCC applied.

- - - Updated - - -

Landscapelover

Senior Subscriber Member
Great information!! They look great after the LCC application.
Were they 15mm shifts to both sides?
Have you ever used filter holders with square/rectangle filters with the ND, GND, polarizer?

Thanks very much

jagsiva

Great information!! They look great after the LCC application.
Were they 15mm shifts to both sides?
Have you ever used filter holders with square/rectangle filters?

Thanks very much
Yes, each set of three shows a shift of 15mm left, centre and 15mm right, all in landscape orientation. If you look under the file name in each frame you'll see some text describing the shift and the filters used.

I have stayed away from the square ones simply for convenience and not wanting to carry even more small bits. I rarely stack filters and never use graduated ND filters. I think if you want graduated filters, you need to go with the large rectangular Lee ones.

Landscapelover

Senior Subscriber Member
Thanks very much for your thought.
It's always been complicated with big-size filter thread.
This may be one of the reason why lots of people prefer the 40mm HR for the compromise of IQ, price and convenience. I've had one too but felt the 32mm is the sharpest wide-angle lens I've ever used in my entire life! It is breathtaking to see how sharp the images are. It's expensive for a reason.

Paul2660

I use 105mm slim Heliopan ND and CPL filters. When shifted, the CPL alone or with other filters will limit movements. First post shows uncorrected files, second post has LCC applied.

- - - Updated - - -
Those files cleaned up very well. When you apply those LCC's to the originals with the heavy black vignetting, do they totally correct?

What I saw when I worked with the 32mm, was that the LCC would correct the image pretty well up to 12mm, but after that it had a hard time recovering the hard black parts of the files if there was sky involved. If it was trees or non sky portions, it did better. The CF seems to make a pretty big difference on the 32mm when shifted.

I was only able to test the lens once and in limited shooting conditions, but the owner did have the CF.

Paul

jagsiva

Those files cleaned up very well. When you apply those LCC's to the originals with the heavy black vignetting, do they totally correct?

What I saw when I worked with the 32mm, was that the LCC would correct the image pretty well up to 12mm, but after that it had a hard time recovering the hard black parts of the files if there was sky involved. If it was trees or non sky portions, it did better. The CF seems to make a pretty big difference on the 32mm when shifted.

I was only able to test the lens once and in limited shooting conditions, but the owner did have the CF.

Paul
Paul,

You can see above in the LCC applied files that some of the corners are uncorrected, so LCC does not fix the very hard vignette.

On a side note, when you have very hard vignetting, caused by filters or by the internal "disk" in the lens, sometimes C1 has difficulties with banding. What I have found to work is to crop the LCC and the image by the same amount to remove the hard vignette, then apply it. This usually takes care of the problem.

Paul2660

Paul...Thank you very much for your comment. I really appreciate your contribution to the GetDPI. Your comments've always been very accurate and thoughtful.
Do you know with this setup, how far can you shift?
What bellow do you use to prevent the flare?
Which one is better for ND, square/rectangle or circular for long exposure between 6-10 stops? If it's CPL, what brand?

Thanks again,

Pramote

Hi Pramote, thanks for the comments.

I used the Lee wide angle hood with my 40mm, but when I tried to use it on the 32mm (with CF) it was not a good fit as the only adapter Lee makes that would fit is the 95mm to 105mm adapter and it would not fit around the 105mm CF. Plus I felt that the 4 x 4 (100mm x 100mm) filters would not totally cover the 105mm opening. So I figured that I would move to the Cokin if I got the 32mm. Don Libby has these and is using them successfully on his 40-80mm which is also the course 1.00mm threading.

if you use the 32mm without the CF, then the Lee system will fit albeit not easily. You would have to add some padding to the outer diameter of the 32mm lens barrel. You also are putting a lot of extra weight on the front of the 32mm and that lens seems to have a problem already with the huge outer elements, (with possible alignment issues and the copal shutter over time).

The CL-PL's I have used @ 105mm:

1. The B+W 105mm CL-PL is a bit thick, but very nice. It is a cool (temp) filter. I use it often with the Lee wide angle hood on the front of the hood.

2. The Lee CL-PL is 1/2 the weight and thickness of the B+W CL-PL but it's quite a bit warmer (temp) as all the Lee CL-PL's seem to be. But that can be corrected in post. I like the Lee it's not cheap at $260.00 US, but the slim size is great.

On ND's, I missed the fact you were wanted grads. I only use solids, but the Cokin system X-Pro makes both. The solids are glass, but I believe the grads are resin. I have not been able to tell from the website.

The Hi-Tech firecrest is supposedly made in both a 130 x 170 size for the Cokin system and a threaded filter. These filters so far don't seem to be in production, as I have been waiting for one now for months. But the reviews of them are very good (in the smaller sizes)

Paul

Landscapelover

Senior Subscriber Member
Thanks very much Paul for your in-details comment. It's very helpful.
I agree about the weight of the front element and have been very careful about it.

Pramote

Hi Pramote, thanks for the comments.

I used the Lee wide angle hood with my 40mm, but when I tried to use it on the 32mm (with CF) it was not a good fit as the only adapter Lee makes that would fit is the 95mm to 105mm adapter and it would not fit around the 105mm CF. Plus I felt that the 4 x 4 (100mm x 100mm) filters would not totally cover the 105mm opening. So I figured that I would move to the Cokin if I got the 32mm. Don Libby has these and is using them successfully on his 40-80mm which is also the course 1.00mm threading.

if you use the 32mm without the CF, then the Lee system will fit albeit not easily. You would have to add some padding to the outer diameter of the 32mm lens barrel. You also are putting a lot of extra weight on the front of the 32mm and that lens seems to have a problem already with the huge outer elements, (with possible alignment issues and the copal shutter over time).

The CL-PL's I have used @ 105mm:

1. The B+W 105mm CL-PL is a bit thick, but very nice. It is a cool (temp) filter. I use it often with the Lee wide angle hood on the front of the hood.

2. The Lee CL-PL is 1/2 the weight and thickness of the B+W CL-PL but it's quite a bit warmer (temp) as all the Lee CL-PL's seem to be. But that can be corrected in post. I like the Lee it's not cheap at $260.00 US, but the slim size is great.

On ND's, I missed the fact you were wanted grads. I only use solids, but the Cokin system X-Pro makes both. The solids are glass, but I believe the grads are resin. I have not been able to tell from the website.

The Hi-Tech firecrest is supposedly made in both a 130 x 170 size for the Cokin system and a threaded filter. These filters so far don't seem to be in production, as I have been waiting for one now for months. But the reviews of them are very good (in the smaller sizes)

Paul

jlm

Workshop Member
i've been able to sneak by without the Cf and save the $900, just using LCC. worth a try

actually 1300 at B&H

Last edited:

Landscapelover

Senior Subscriber Member
I sometimes like slight vignette without CF. The 32mm without CF also makes life a lot easier :)
Which adapter ring do you use, Lee regular 86mm adapter ring? Any problem with vignette especially with shifting?

Paul2660

One other thought in the CF. if you are using the 50MP CMOS, I would assume there is a lot more leeway on shifts vs a full frame chip.

The testing I have seen on the IQ250 with the 32mm shows very nice recovery on shifts up to 15mm without the CF.

Paul

Landscapelover

Senior Subscriber Member
I plan to use it with both 50 and 80mp backs.
The question is mainly for 80mp back as it has more problem due to its full farm nature although it's good to know about the 50mp back.

Thanks,
Pramote

jagsiva

For shifts up to +/- 10mm, I think you can get away without the CF on the 80MP backs. Beyond that, I would strongly recommend it. It is a pain, but noise levels in the corners get pretty bad without the CF.