The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

NEW Leica S-E for $6000

M

mjr

Pramote, the difference is only the top plate, length of guarantee and a few cables missing from the box, other than that it's the same camera inside.

Bloody good buy at that price, might take a flight!

Mat

JohnBrew

Just checked their website and the S-E by itself is out of stock. The S-E bundled w/70 is $10,295 and in stock. The S-006 body is in stock for $8,995. It would appear Leica is trying to clean out all old model stock in advance of the release of the new S.
I would love to have one just for the color rendition alone. However, time has moved on and I would rather go MFDB.

M

mjr

Are you sure anGy? I had a SE body for 6 months alongside my 006 and I am almost positive I tethered with it a number of times, it just didn't have the tether cable included but I already had one with the S006. I could be wrong but I'm sure that internally they are the same so shouldn't be any reason it wouldn't tether.

Mat

Landscapelover

Senior Subscriber Member
Are you sure anGy? I had a SE body for 6 months alongside my 006 and I am almost positive I tethered with it a number of times, it just didn't have the tether cable included but I already had one with the S006. I could be wrong but I'm sure that internally they are the same so shouldn't be any reason it wouldn't tether.

Mat
I guess anGy meant you couldn't tether the SE if you don't buy a cable :)

M

mjr

Ha, that's true! I don't think the functionality has been turned off, wouldn't make any sense.

It's honestly the best camera I have ever used and for that price, amazing!

Mat

M

mjr

Very kind of you to say Pramote! Lots of good kit out there, key is finding the thing that inspires you, the S does that for me every time I look at it.

Mat

tjv

In all seriousness, does anyone else think that Leica might be seriously rethinking the 007, or at least pushing hard to rush out a higher MPX 008? I know this question has been done to death, but it's a heck of a long time between product announcement and release and the competition has, in the meantime, moved on. The 007 is not chump change, afterall.

In all seriousness, does anyone else think that Leica might be seriously rethinking the 007, or at least pushing hard to rush out a higher MPX 008? I know this question has been done to death, but it's a heck of a long time between product announcement and release and the competition has, in the meantime, moved on. The 007 is not chump change, afterall.
I'm thinking the same thing. The 007 was a pretty good idea a year ago, before the 645Z came out, but thanks to exchange rates you can now get a Z from Japan for about the same amount as this S-E. You won't get to use S lenses, but a full Pentax kit with several lenses can be had for the same as the S with 70mm.

I love the ergonomics and refined operation of the S, but the tech is kinda old, which wouldn't have been a big minus if weren't so expensive.

anGy

I guess anGy meant you couldn't tether the SE if you don't buy a cable :)
Just reporting what my Leica dealer told me lately: no tethering option with the S-E.
Must admit that my seller is more knowledgeable on the M system than on the S.
I was surprised by his quote but would first clarify it before buying.:toocool:

Landscapelover

Senior Subscriber Member
Leica has always been criticized for its high-price cameras. For $6, 000, I think it's a steal to be able to use the best lenses from Leica. I don't think it's fair to compare Leica to Pentax lenses. Most people would agree.

For general landscape photography excluding night photography, milky way etc, the advantages of CMOS over CCD is somewhat exaggerated. I've had both. Even the CMOS, I try to use the lowest ISO available on a tripod to achieve the best image quality.

My experience is that most of my good pictures were taken on tripods, not handholding. You put more thought into them.

Best regards,
Pramote