The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Dear Phase One - it's 2015! Where is my modern FF back??!

Uaiomex

I was under the impression that Dalsa was only a CCD maker. And if they started today fabricating cmos sensors, I find it rather difficult they would manage a full frame sensor at first try.

Why not Dalsa? Could Dalsa make medium format CMOS sensor with:

full frame, and at least 80 Mega Pixels
multiple frames per second
live view with focus peaking
clean ISO up to 6400

tjv

The things that I would like are full frame, 60+ megapixels, 24 fps live view on back and 800 ISO that is usable at large print sizes. I personally don't have a problem with current CCD technology, but the above mentioned things would make it easier to work with on a technical camera.

f8orbust

I just looked in the tea leaves and can see that a DB with a full-frame CMOS chip will be with us sooner rather than later. Surprisingly soon as it happens. What won't be with us is realistic pricing (sadly), so start saving now.

Which means, no more tea for me - just hot water with a twist of lemon juice from now on. That said, I still want to see how the A7RII performs on an Aptus with R/S and S/K glass.

Jim

tjv

Where do you source you "tea leaves"? There are rumours Hasselblad has an imminent announcement, but I've only read that of forums...

Paul2660

I just looked in the tea leaves and can see that a DB with a full-frame CMOS chip will be with us sooner rather than later. Surprisingly soon as it happens. What won't be with us is realistic pricing (sadly), so start saving now.

Which means, no more tea for me - just hot water with a twist of lemon juice from now on. That said, I still want to see how the A7RII performs on an Aptus with R/S and S/K glass.

Jim

Over on LuLa, it seems Hasselblad has a new 80MP CMOS coming within less than 2 weeks? at least that what is being said. I could see it being a 80MP CCD with the same chip as the IQ380 as some feel that the Phase One/Dalsa exclusivity agreement has expired. If it truly is a full frame CMOS, then Kudos for Hasselblad.

Paul

markymarkrb

All it is going to take is for Sony to release an MF camera with interchangeable lenses. They have thrown Nikon and Canon a curve ball in that you can now mount Canon and Nikon glass and get similar performance on the Sony A7RII. Now, they release a mirrorless MF camera without to many native lenses and guess what, all the other MF glass fits on it with an adapter. This would be game over for Phase One and Hassy because you know they wouldn't charge $35K for it although it would still be pricey.

ondebanks

Over on LuLa, it seems Hasselblad has a new 80MP CMOS coming within less than 2 weeks? at least that what is being said. I could see it being a 80MP CCD with the same chip as the IQ380 as some feel that the Phase One/Dalsa exclusivity agreement has expired. If it truly is a full frame CMOS, then Kudos for Hasselblad.

Paul
80MP CMOS would be amazing from anyone, but especially from Hasselblad. Hasselblad hasn't led Phase One in the sensor stakes since the H4D-40 vs. the P40+...the Kodak 40MP 6 micron CCD in the Hasselblad was markedly better on ISO and long exposure noise than the Dalsa 40MP 6 micron CCD in the Phase One.
My gut feeling is that it will turn out to be just the regular Dalsa 80MP CCD in a Hasselblad back, but I hope to be proven wrong.

Ray

ondebanks

DALSA also makes CMOS chips, but not for medium format.
Yes they do, but making CMOS sensors is relatively easy - the industry is full of lesser known manufacturers like Aptina and STMicroelectronics. Making large, really low noise CMOS sensors (like Sony's or Canon's) is a lot harder. Samsung have recently moved up to that level of performance. I doubt that Dalsa are anywhere near it.

Ray

Stan ROX

... It's such a joke. They're expensive because they're low volume, but they're low volume because they're expensive!
I don't know the market to the last detail, but I am VERY sure, they are not expensive because they are low volume.

Something is wrong with the MFD market - we all knew it since Hasselblad brought the CFV-50 which was a total different price point compared with a H5D-50 minus the camera price.

Pricing of the Pentax 645Z is another fact. You may say that they need to sell it at this low price because their ecosystem in not "that professional", but I would say that Hassi and Phase have these high prices because they have such a big number of professionals in they ecosystem.

Kevin Sink

I kind of wish Phase would stop thinking we can continue to afford astronomical pricing. I'm a working pro photographer, and I LOVE my Phase/Arca system, but the price differential compared to Sony/Canon is just so crazy now it makes it almost impossible to think of staying with Phase after my trusty P65 gives out. By that time it's replacement will probably be some 100 Megapixel full frame CMOS that will cost over $60K. They are just becoming too expensive.

Uaiomex

Digital 35mm became the new medium format. Digital MF became the new large format. I think this had to do a lot for the pricing scheme.
But now D35mm is dangerously aproaching DMF image quality while maintaining the basic prices.
I'm affraid a DMF mirrorless body would be like Skynet becoming true.

Eduardo

stephengilbert

Not to mention that the various Sony rumor/news sites haven't talked about their making an MF camera in a long time.

I'd love an MF version of the RX1, but don't see in happening.

Lars

I don't know the market to the last detail, but I am VERY sure, they are not expensive because they are low volume.
Stan,
Not to belittle your comment, but a lot of people in the silicon wafer industry would probably disagree. As I understand chip (and sensor) making, small production series and those gigantic sensors is certainly a part of the problem. Ask any chip maker how production volume affects pricing of anything that comes out of a chip fab. Ask any chip maker how chip area affects yield and thus cost per unit.

Of course MF makers (perhaps with the exception of Pentax) have identified their core market as not being price sensitive, which affects pricing as well.

Last edited:

Ken_R

Dear Phase One,

I have been committed to our relationship for 10 years now, faithfully through D800's, A7R's, but am starting to look at other wome... camera options, because they are giving me things you are failing to provide:

I need a modern back, that has 'Live View' EVF out option, so I can set an EVF on my camera, enlarge focus and nail it.
I need focus peaking on the screen & EVF to confirm that
I need modern really clean ISO up to 1600. No, Sensor+ does not hack it.
I need full frame, and at least 80Mp, preferably 100mp

I would love dedicated AF sensors built into the sensor too (like all the latest Sony ones) but can make do if you give me EVF out.

Yes, "I", "I" "I", but this relationship is about me and my work, my $, and most important: my creativity.

In plain speak: Divorce is on the cards if you can't get with the times, announce an IQ3-100 with FF Sony Sensor this year. Sorry, but that's how it looks.
At least PhaseOne finally has a modern (full frame capable) Medium Format Body in the XF, and backs to match. Not your full frame CMOS yet but man, everything else. Superb System.