The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Pentax 645D blowout

H3dtogo

Why is it always that this or that camera will kill sales of that or an other camera. I shoot professionally all sorts of camera's, from Hasselblad H4d-50 to Pentax 645z and from Nikon D800 to canon 5dMk3 with all great lenses. To me the most important reason to use this or that system is the result i get out of it on a given job. I really hate the D810 camera, worst camera ever to work with and always with that harsh nikon glass..... but it has the best DR there is. The canon is DR limited but has best AF and some of the nicest lenses ever made. It feels good in hand, works as it should but lacks DR an Mp.
The Pentax 645z to me is almost a dream becoming reality: if you want to shoot MF handheld on location, use high ISO and enormous DR at a reasonable cost, no other camera matches the performance of the 645Z.
In studio the Hasselblad remains King of the Hill :)
Shooting MF is not only about numbers and pixel peeping: the MF system forces one to think and rethink every time before you take a shot resulting in a complete different way of taking images. A 645Z works great, works fast, works in the rain and cold and keeps on delivering great images. It is like a way of living... The Medium Format way :)
I also had the sony A7r and must say that that camera was even worse than the D800: AF that did not work properly when light got dim ( where the 645Z focusses perfectly), horrible Jpg output, RAW not comparable with MF files etc.... but it was small and lightweight.
So my recomandation to all people giving opinions about cameras without having used them for more than a month in real live working situations is to maybe not vent opinions or statements about this or that camera but go rent one and shoot some great images with that camera. And certainly never think that someone that tested a camera on the internet, even when he has got the best reputation, really knows best because we are al human and we are all biased towards this or that system.
It is a shame there are so few camera brands left. In the fifties and sixties we had thousands of camera brands, much less people shooting pictures but many people taking beatiful images that were kept in an album or printed to hang on a wall. Now in 2015 pixel peepers shoot gigas of digital info not even worth to keep on a harddrive :)
Photography is all about creating images, making your dreams come reality and some can do that by using a SonyA7r2 and some prefer to do that with a Hasselblad H6d-400Mp camera or a 8/10 inch wista field camera :)
Best, Peter.

Ken_R

Also keep in mind that for those of us who work a lot in the studio with flash we generally prefer OVF's over EVF's due to the fact that we work at low light levels (modeling lights) even though the exposure has a lot of light (flash). No one ever seems to mention this when talking about mirrorless cameras.

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Could you expand on that? I prefer OVF to EVF, but I would think that low light is one of the situations where an EVF would have advantages.

--Matt

fotografz

Also keep in mind that for those of us who work a lot in the studio with flash we generally prefer OVF's over EVF's due to the fact that we work at low light levels (modeling lights) even though the exposure has a lot of light (flash). No one ever seems to mention this when talking about mirrorless cameras.
FYI,

With "Setting Effect ON" on an EVF camera, you get what you see … which means that if you are shooting at f/11 with only modeling lights in a dark studio, the viewfinder will be too dark.

When working in studio with strobes, you have to go into the menu and set the camera to "Setting Effect Off". Then it is the same as regular OVF cameras.

- Marc

Shashin

Could you expand on that? I prefer OVF to EVF, but I would think that low light is one of the situations where an EVF would have advantages.

--Matt
Light levels can get so low where the camera cannot make an image for the EVF. At night, I have to stick an OVF on my RX-1 to be able to frame. Same is true for a DSLR. Yes, the OVF is dark, but you can still see what you are framing.

Ken_R

FYI,

With "Setting Effect ON" on an EVF camera, you get what you see … which means that if you are shooting at f/11 with only modeling lights in a dark studio, the viewfinder will be too dark.

When working in studio with strobes, you have to go into the menu and set the camera to "Setting Effect Off". Then it is the same as regular OVF cameras.

- Marc
I know. But still, OVFs are much nicer to use in low light in the studio. The EVFs work but are quite grainy at those low levels and somewhat distracting, at least for me. I generally keep my modelling lights 1/2 level (250w bulbs)

fotografz

I know. But still, OVFs are much nicer to use in low light in the studio. The EVFs work but are quite grainy at those low levels and somewhat distracting, at least for me. I generally keep my modelling lights 1/2 level (250w bulbs)
Actually Ken, you won't get any argument from me regarding EVF verses OVF. I almost exclusively use a Leica S(006) in studio due to its big bright OVF and higher sync speed. Before that it was a H4D/60.

However, I'm not sure what you mean by grainy when using a mirrorless camera with "Setting Effect Off" since it sees the ambient studio light as it is, without "gain", the way it would when the camera is set to "Setting Effect On".

- Marc