The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Phase One XF and IQ180

Don Libby

I've had the XF for a couple days now using it with my 180 and in short love it.

The fit and finish is excellent; the RRS L-bracket I had used on my DF fits just as well on the XF. The body came with the newer firmware installed so all I was left with was updating the 180. Phase is shipping the XF with the older DF mask with no idea of when the newer one will arrive; likewise the same with the WL which I really want. The most notable item is it seems that Phase has updated their electronic shutter release outlet by adding several pins in the middle. What this means is the older electronic shutter releases no longer fit/work. Rumor has it that Phase will either come up with an adaptor for the older releases or come out with an entirely new release.

I've so far shot some landscape as well as a bridal dress fitting all with no issues.

Subjectively I think the "feel" is much better than the older DF, likewise it "feels" smaller/lighter which I know it isn't. I also fell the AF is much improved but please don't ask by how much.

In order of my importance I want the WF then the mask and finally the shutter release to be released.

These are just some random thoughts as I'm also preparing a blog on the same subject but will likely wait until after I return from shooting in Sedona next week.

It's well worth the long wait for this and did I mention I really like it?

In closing I want to thank the folks at Capture Integration especially Anthony Festa who looked over the camera before shipping it out and of course Dave Gallagher for ..... well just for being Dave Gallagher.:grin:

Don

aztwang

I've had the XF for a couple days now using it with my 180 and in short love it.

The fit and finish is excellent; the RRS L-bracket I had used on my DF fits just as well on the XF. The body came with the newer firmware installed so all I was left with was updating the 180. Phase is shipping the XF with the older DF mask with no idea of when the newer one will arrive; likewise the same with the WL which I really want. The most notable item is it seems that Phase has updated their electronic shutter release outlet by adding several pins in the middle. What this means is the older electronic shutter releases no longer fit/work. Rumor has it that Phase will either come up with an adaptor for the older releases or come out with an entirely new release.

I've so far shot some landscape as well as a bridal dress fitting all with no issues.

Subjectively I think the "feel" is much better than the older DF, likewise it "feels" smaller/lighter which I know it isn't. I also fell the AF is much improved but please don't ask by how much.

In order of my importance I want the WF then the mask and finally the shutter release to be released.

These are just some random thoughts as I'm also preparing a blog on the same subject but will likely wait until after I return from shooting in Sedona next week.

It's well worth the long wait for this and did I mention I really like it?

In closing I want to thank the folks at Capture Integration especially Anthony Festa who looked over the camera before shipping it out and of course Dave Gallagher for ..... well just for being Dave Gallagher.:grin:

Don
Good to hear you'er pleased, very exciting!!. Kind of odd though as Dave G. said per his email, the XF would only be available with the 380 and the body alone would not be shipping out for a while. Hopefully that means I will see mine this week!!!Hope hope!! Do you have more thoughts on the XF??

Don

Don Libby

I'm embarrassed to admit this but I had to download the manual from P1 t figure out how to turn off the damn camera! When I first got it and after installing the L-bracket, lens and back I put the battery in the grip and it started up along with the back. Then, when I decided I needed to turn it off I couldn't figure out which button to press so I used the back to turn it off again. After reading up a bit I now know I can power up and down either via the XF or back; very easy. And yes I now know which button to press.

I like the LCD interface and am still getting used to using it and finding out what I can and can't do. So far it appears that the one thing I can't do off the XF is control the ISO; still have to do that on the back of the 180. You should have full functionality with your 380. There's still a lot I haven't figured out but will with more time.

We're headed to Sedona next week and plan to take full advantage of the place to get more experience using the XF. So far I've used it with the 40-80, 120 and 150 and will take the 240 for a spin soon. Again this is a camera I've been waiting for. Phase did it right.

Don

I understand the first bodies are now shipping. Not a lot but they are in the pipeline.

gerald.d

Hi Don -

Congratulations on the XF - great to hear that you love it!

I'm not sure which port you're referring to with this comment - " The most notable item is it seems that Phase has updated their electronic shutter release outlet by adding several pins in the middle. "

Could you please clarify?

Kind regards,

Gerald.

trond

I'm embarrassed to admit this but I had to download the manual from P1 t figure out how to turn off the damn camera! When I first got it and after installing the L-bracket, lens and back I put the battery in the grip and it started up along with the back. Then, when I decided I needed to turn it off I couldn't figure out which button to press so I used the back to turn it off again. After reading up a bit I now know I can power up and down either via the XF or back; very easy. And yes I now know which button to press.

I like the LCD interface and am still getting used to using it and finding out what I can and can't do. So far it appears that the one thing I can't do off the XF is control the ISO; still have to do that on the back of the 180. You should have full functionality with your 380. There's still a lot I haven't figured out but will with more time.

We're headed to Sedona next week and plan to take full advantage of the place to get more experience using the XF. So far I've used it with the 40-80, 120 and 150 and will take the 240 for a spin soon. Again this is a camera I've been waiting for. Phase did it right.

Don

I understand the first bodies are now shipping. Not a lot but they are in the pipeline.
I got my XF with IQ380 last week together with the new SX35 and SX120 as an upgrade from DF645+ and IQ260.

Having owned the IQ180 and IQ260 previously, the IQ380 is just what you expect it to be.

The XF camera is everything you have heard here and on various reviews the last few weeks.

It is the best thought out user interface and layout I have ever seen on any camera.

Further, on the positive side the XF was smaller and lighter than I had feared.

Having used the DF645+ for three years now, the XF feels like a real camera and not a piece of cheap plastic like the DF645+.

If you are waiting for a XF, you have some really pleasant surplices coming your way any day soon now!

Best regards

Trond

rhern213

The electronic shutter release cable of the DF/+ does not fit the XF, you need a new one made specifically for the XF. Or wait for an adapter.

Hi Don -

I'm not sure which port you're referring to with this comment - " The most notable item is it seems that Phase has updated their electronic shutter release outlet by adding several pins in the middle. "

Kind regards,

Gerald.

Steve Hendrix

Don

Don, on IQ1 Series, the ISO Dial does not adjust the ISO, so yes, changing it the way you've been is how it's done.

The interface is really really easy, although once you understand that the front dial generally navigates up/down and the rear dial navigates left/right, it is even easier! Kind of like on the P+ backs, once you realize the left side was mostly yes/no or ok/cancel, and the right was navigation/scrolling it became seamlessly logical.

Steve Hendrix
CI

Don Libby

Hi Don -

Kind regards,

Gerald.
Gerald, I normally like to use an electromagnetic cable release when the camera is attached to the tripod. The current/older release has openings on the (for lack of a better term) outer rim that plugs into the port on the side of the camera that likewise has pins on the outer area of the port. The XF has the port in the same location as the DF has however they've added a couple pins in the middle of the port thus the older release will no longer fit. The rumor is that P1 is deciding on which way to go; either produce a new cable release or an adaptor. The other thing of note is the shutter button is smooth and no longer accepts a screw in cable release.

Hope that clears it up.

Don

Don Libby

ThanksSteve, the lack of not being able to change the ISO via the camera is by no means a deal breaker for me. I knew going in that not all the functions would not be available to IQ1 series. What is available is far above what was on the older DF.

In case there’s any mistaken understanding, I love this camera! :grin:

aztwang

Don

Don,

I too am headed to Sedona this weekend. The good boys @ CI will be shipping me the new Schneider Kreuznach 35mm LS f/3.5 rental unit
to me this Thursday," Good Lord willing and the creek dont rise" for the weekend. Feel free to reach out to me, I would be more than happy to share this gem and let you take it for a spin on your new XF.

Don McPhee
623-889-1327

Don Libby

Don,

I too am headed to Sedona this weekend. The good boys @ CI will be shipping me the new Schneider Kreuznach 35mm LS f/3.5 rental unit
to me this Thursday," Good Lord willing and the creek dont rise" for the weekend. Feel free to reach out to me, I would be more than happy to share this gem and let you take it for a spin on your new XF.

Don McPhee
623-889-1327
Thanks Don, we're headed there Sunday and will be there all week. Look for a black Ford Raptor. I almost bought the 35 but decided the 40-80 was a slightly better fit for me.

Bill Caulfeild-Browne

I'm fairly sure I read somewhere that the new XF permits micro adjustments for individual lenses (called AF Micro Adjust on my Sonys).
I have read the User Guide and can find no reference this function. Does it indeed have it?

Steve Hendrix

I'm fairly sure I read somewhere that the new XF permits micro adjustments for individual lenses (called AF Micro Adjust on my Sonys).
I have read the User Guide and can find no reference this function. Does it indeed have it?

Bill, they call it focus trim. You can store adjustments for up to unique 32 lenses.

Steve Hendrix
CI

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Bill, they call it focus trim. You can store adjustments for up to unique 32 lenses.
Minor clarification (which Steve is aware of, just adding the clarification for other readers)...

It can store adjustments for up to 32 unique lenses, but other than the 35LS and 120LS it can only store those by lens model, not by serialized specific lens. So for a rental house that owns a dozen 80LS lenses it can only keep one adjustment for "80LS" which it would apply to any of the 80LS lenses.

The 35LS and 120LS are part of the new "blue ring" lens series and communicate their specific serial number to the body and are therefore tracked uniquely.

Not a big issue for the individual photographer but larger studios, catalog houses, and rental facilities will note the difference.

Orley

Finally, after much anticipation, the XF arrived. The major disappointment last year when it wasn't announced at Photokina faded quickly when I opened the box.

Many thanks to David Gallagher at Capture Integration for his personal assistance and his solid team of professionals who helped me update the firmware on my IQ280 and started shooting.

The XF functions like you would expect a camera in this class; crisp shutter release that works every time, relatively fast focus, solid ergo design. The UI is very intuitive.

IMHO, the XF is worth every penny of the upgrade price!

A major surprise, the 35 SK LS is SHARPer than hoped for. It will hold up well with the 32 HR, something I wouldn't have believed without doing tests myself.

Phase One has invested their R&D funds well.

aztwang

Finally, after much anticipation, the XF arrived. The major disappointment last year when it wasn't announced at Photokina faded quickly when I opened the box.

Many thanks to David Gallagher at Capture Integration for his personal assistance and his solid team of professionals who helped me update the firmware on my IQ280 and started shooting.

The XF functions like you would expect a camera in this class; crisp shutter release that works every time, relatively fast focus, solid ergo design. The UI is very intuitive.

IMHO, the XF is worth every penny of the upgrade price!

A major surprise, the 35 SK LS is SHARPer than hoped for. It will hold up well with the 32 HR, something I wouldn't have believed without doing tests myself.

Phase One has invested their R&D funds well.
Glad to hear your happy with the investment. I'm anxiously still awaiting for mine from CI. Which focus screen did your XF come with?

Don

Don Libby

I can live with the older screen however not sure how much longer I can keep doing a sniper crawl. When are we going to see the WL released? I want it now!

:grin: