The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Phase One XF and IQ180

Steve Hendrix

Sadly, the XF camera itself is a little overdue for many folks!!.

Makes me wonder what is going on.

Paul

Early on there were some packaging issues that became clearer after initial dealer shipments. This brought on a period of delay for roughly 4 weeks before any customer orders began in any quantity. That period was needed to make sure the issue was resolved, which it was. Since then shipments have been steady, but low volume. At this point it is simply a matter of many orders and a relatively hands-on process for assembly that restricts how many can be churned out - in a given month, for example. Nothing more than that going on.

Steve Hendrix
Capture Integration

Steve Hendrix

Thanks Steve, any idea on the WL?

Oh ...... I'm better at past and present confirmations than future speculations. Which is why I am not i the financial consulting industry (well, one reason, anyway).

But I am hearing rumblings that those who have orders placed will start to see some movement soon. But ... as with all brand new products that begin shipping, expect low quantities for a while. I know one thing, if one wants a waist level finder, until they place their order, the time it takes for them to get one will only increase!

:rolleyes:

Steve Hendrix
Capture Integration

Don Libby

Oh ...... I'm better at past and present confirmations than future speculations. Which is why I am not i the financial consulting industry (well, one reason, anyway).

But I am hearing rumblings that those who have orders placed will start to see some movement soon. But ... as with all brand new products that begin shipping, expect low quantities for a while. I know one thing, if one wants a waist level finder, until they place their order, the time it takes for them to get one will only increase!

:rolleyes:

Steve Hendrix
Capture Integration

View attachment 113100

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Doug,
Could you clear up something please. previous regarding the sale Hasselblad several people chimed in and saying that P1 could benefit from purchasing them as they could have the true focus technology. I believe I saw in a previous post where a dealer chimed in saying that the true focus was not a patented Technology and you had commented early on if a similar feature to that of a true focus was wanted buy new XF buyers that they should pass there wants on to dealers so that P1 would be aware of the demand. It came across as P1 could actually develop the same technology through the Gyro scope and accelerometer on the XF without challenging patent laws. Is this actual factual?
You'd have to ask a patent lawyer. Seriously; I have no idea how expansive or limited their patent is and how different a competing feature would have to be before it is considered not to infringe. I assume the basic trigonometry can't be patented; that's 7th grade math. But even that is an assumption. You might as well ask me about Roberts Rules of Order.

But I can say the following things with certainty:
- Phase One is aware that in some specific situations (static model, static photographer, wide lens, large recomposition, wide aperture) focus and recompose doesn't nail focus
- There is a lot of technology in the XF that is not currently in use
- There are a lot of cool ideas at headquarters about what can be done with the technology in the XF platform

To be clear I think it's only right/fair/safe to buy things based on what they can offer today. If a feature or a capability is vital to your needs/wants you should take with huge heaps of salt any claim/promise/rumor/hint about future capabilities. But to be equally clear: if you have features/capabilities that are vital to your interest in the XF which the XF does not currently have you should absolutely share that with your dealer to share with Phase One (or if you lack a dealer you can make a support case at phaseone.com with your request). Such requests (in their totality) are absolutely listened to when Phase One sets development priorities.

Paul2660

Officially that ended on 08/31/15, not to say that a dealer can't work out a "deal" on such a trade however.

Paul