The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

auto focus issue

mgerardw

I think this might be my first post after lurking here for what seems like years. During a shoot yesterday my old Mamiya 150mm lens just up and quit being able to autofocus (yes the MF/AF ring is turned completely to AF) I was using it on my Phase One DF with an IQ 140...it just makes a weird quiet whirring sound....like a kitten with asthma.
I know its not a camera issue becasue I immediately tried several other lenses and auto focus worked perfectly.

Is this the sound a lens makes when it's dying?

Shashin

I can speak directly about Mamiya lenses, but AF can die in a lens--it has happened to a Nikon lens I have. You could try one thing which is clean the lens contact with an eraser. They could be dirty. I would do the same with the body, being careful not to get rubber in it. Otherwise, it will probably need to go back...