The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Macro glass for Phamiya

tashley

Subscriber Member
Using a P45+ I want to be able to do some occasional macro work and wonder if people have any strong view on the 120D versus the old version?

One doesn't see these lenses mentioned very often... wonder why?

Best

T

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Hi Tim:

We had a lengthy discussion regarding the three or so versions of this lens several months ago. Here is what I have gleaned, but there is so little documentation it is difficult to tell if we are 100% accurate.

First we call them three versions,

1) The original all manual version made for the pre AF bodies. It will work on the AF bodies in stop down metering mode and obviously will not stamp lens EXIF data. Used prices around $400~$700 US

2) The first AF version, though it is still a manual focus lens. This one allows for full electronic aperture control and of course will stamp EXIF to the file. Used prices $700~$900 US.

3) The second AF version, tagged AF D. Best we can tell, this has the two tiny pins added to the contact area, which means it is firmware upgradeable, but is still a manual focus lens. Hard to find new let alone used, but I did run across one used a few months back at $1800 US.

4) All focus from 1:1 to infinity without added pieces and best we can tell, they are all the same optical formula(!) --- all are reported to be very sharp. (In fact of particular interest to you is I have never heard of anybody getting a dog one of these, at least with either AF version, but for obvious reasons am not placing bets on you...)

Some bits you are likely to be interested in. I find the Bokeh on the lens sometimes harsh, especially when compared to say the 150/2.8D, but then at others is perfectly pleasant. And it seems to be worse wide open, which I find somewhat puzzling. It also exhibits a fairly notable falloff when shot wide open, which can be good or bad depending on the image; usable if you know it's there. Finally it is clinically sharp from full macro range to about 10 meters, but after that it does tend to give up some clarity, not an uncommon trait for macro lenses. Still very usable at infinity though, just not as crisp as say the 150 there. To put it in perspective, I would not hesitate to use it for studio portraits if I did not own the 150, and have used it in the field for landscapes in lieu of the 150 when I did not want to carry both.

Cheers,

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
My replacement for it is the 150mm 2.8 D lens which is extremely sharp than I add ext. tubes I only have number 1 now but looking for Ext. Tube two. But I am cheating since I don't really use a macro but I do shoot product work so for me the Ext. seems to get me close enough with the 1 but still want the 2 ext. tube. Plus with the Helicon software it will certainly help me in the studio also for DOF when I need it. Kind of a side bar there but for product work I need DOF.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Here are a couple images taken with my version 2 120 on the Moab workshop -- click the thumbs for larger versions. Top image probably f11, bottom image probably wide open:

Cheers,

tashley

Subscriber Member
Thanks guys... I hadn't thought of adding extension tubes to my 'old style' 150, a lens I like a lot! I must look into that. And jack, the top shot there in particular I really remember from when you first posted it. It's very Ansel and really memorable. I've wanted to go to Sedona for ages and that refreshed the desire!

Best

Tim

Dale Allyn

I have the AF D model (v.3 in Jack's scale). I've only had time to use it for the purpose for which I purchased it (macro and close-up, small products), so have not had a chance to examine results when used as a portrait or "landscape" lens. Jack's comment about being best in the 1:1 to 10 meters is pretty normal for macro lenses, but I've not read of complaints with the Mamiya 120 as a stand-in for landscapes and such.

The lens is quite sharp, and contrast and color are nice. The OOF areas in my shots have been fine, but they are not a good test because most are in a controlled environment, including background. The couple of silly ("test") shots I have to show bokeh indicate pleasant blur, though the light was filtered and soft (not much of a challenge). Even so, it ain't a Canon 85 f/1.2 or Hassy 110 f/2.0 in the bokeh department.

I'm leaving for a trip tomorrow, but will return in March, at which time I expect to be in Palo Alto. If Jack would like to do a side-by-side I'd be happy to buy a coffee or two, though most reports suggest there's little if any optical difference between v2 and v3.

:)

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Hi Dale:

Be happy to, just let me know when you're in town next and we'll "git er done."

;),

carstenw

(In fact of particular interest to you is I have never heard of anybody getting a dog one of these, at least with either AF version, but for obvious reasons am not placing bets on you...)
Okay, the gauntlet has been thrown down, Tim. Sic!

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Anyone have any experience of the 80 D with all three extension tubes?
No, but that would be more than 1:1 I think... I can try it later today with the 1 and 3 behind it, and I still have the bellows unit for sale if you want to get really extended...

Cheers,

tashley

Subscriber Member
Hiya Jack,

Blimey, that bellow kit looks mighty impressive! Bit large for what I have in mind though, I think, which is a bit of light macro work, sometimes on my hands and knees in a flowerbed.

I think that with tubes #1,2&3 stacked you get to 1:1 on the 80D so I need to decide whether to get a set of those or just plump for a 2nd generation 120 macro...

Today's new toy is a 5DII... let's see how that pans out!

Best

t

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
It is big, but then it has tilts -- and you should see it sing with the old 80/1.9 manual lens and selective tilt! :D

carstenw

Today's new toy is a 5DII... let's see how that pans out!
Well... the best I can say here is that if you have quality or feature problems with the 5D2, then at least you won't be the first, this time. There are many reports in various places about problems with this camera. If the A900 had live view, and a slightly better high ISO experience, I would have gone for that instead.

J

jmvdigital

Speaking of extension tubes and the 150D... has anyone experimented on using more than the #1 tube on it? Mamiya's site claims that vignetting can occur with the 150 and extension tubes, but I'm not sure at one point that becomes a problem (i.e., at #2, or with all three stacked).

tashley

Subscriber Member
Hi Guy(s)

I've just picked up all three tubes and will report back when I have given them a workout!

Tim

PSon

The 120mm macro lens are great up to a point and they are very similar. However, when high magnification is required, the Apo enlarging lens actually yields greater macro and micro contrast.