The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Just how bad is the Schneider 28D or LS on a 180?

Don Libby

There seems just an ever so slight difference between the Phase One 28 and the Mamiya 28D to cause the Lee SW150 not to fit as tight as it should. All isn’t lost if you don’t mind spending time and applying gaffers tape as I just finished doing.

The great news is that I can now use any filter I want so long as its 150mm. I’ve been able to tighten the adaptor ring to the point there’s no more wobble and while I would have preferred not to use tape to tighten things up it does work.

Here’s three test images done with the adaptor ring in place, then with the filter hold and finally the kit filter. Checking these out on a 30” monitor I fail to see any vignette on the first two and think there’s a slight possibility on the last using the filter however I’m really not certain due to the subject matterand filter used.

In short – I like it a lot! I wish this kit has been available in 2006 when the first 28mm was released as it would have made my life so much easier.

View attachment 94944View attachment 94945View attachment 94946

Don Libby

Just completed the last of my testing using the Mamiya 28mmD lens with the Lee SW150 attached. While the filter system might not have been made specifically for theMamiya (marketed for the Phase One) I have nevertheless gotten it to fit and work well. The adaptor ring is now resting on the barrel tight as it should (as a matter of fact it’s so tight that it can’t be removed). I’ve tested the lens combination using just the adaptor ring, with the filter holder attachedand finally with a filter and in none of the cases did I encounter any type of vignette. It may have taken a little out of the box thinking to get where I am however I’m very pleased.

I’m shooting in Moab later this month and wanted to make certain that this lens and filter combination will work if I find a need to go wider that my 40-80 and feel very confident it will. Here’s a sample of three shots taken on a not so bright wall in our courtyard.

While the SW150 by Phase will work on the Mamiya be prepared to step outside the box in order to make it work as it should. I ended up using a very small/fine hobby brush and Super glue (I warned you about outside the box) to attach the adaptor ring tight enough to make if stop being wobbly.

I hope this helps others with a Mamiya 28mm D and have been struggling to find a filter solution.

Don

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Have you tried outside in bright sunlight? How does the SW-150 handle back light scatter on the filter? Any issues with light ingress around the lens petal shade?

Don Libby

This is the version II that includes the lightshield. The addition of the lightshield closes the gap between the filter slot. I've taken several tests bright daylight and each appear to be very acceptable with no leak, or backsplash from the filter. I've got a couple of filters arriving Tues with one of the a little stopper and will test those out as well.

All in all it works. Years ago I tried everything in the book to mount a filter on the front and while I got close I kept failing. This works. Period. Again, it might not be made specifically for the Mamiya D and if someone can tell me the difference I'd like to know since I recently had them side by side and couldn't see any difference. I figured I'd keep this as a permanent attachment so I'm unconcerned that I've basically welded it in place; I figure if I ever sell the lens the new owner won't have to look for a filter solution.

don

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Good to know. The SW-150 was originally designed for the Nikon 14-24 but seems to be a great solution for the 28D too. I agree about welding the ring if it's the best solution - screw resale - it's a tool after all.

:thumbs:

Don Libby

Good to know. The SW-150 was originally designed for the Nikon 14-24 but seems to be a great solution for the 28D too. I agree about welding the ring if it's the best solution - screw resale - it's a tool after all.

Totally agree - if I get one (okay maybe 2) gallery print from this lens it'll pay for itself.

- - - Updated - - -

Totally agree - if I get one (okay maybe 2) gallery print from this lens it'll pay for itself.

Paul2660

I can't speak for Don. But the 1:3 crop factor would make the 28 an effective 36mm so I would think it would work very well as the crop will be taking advantage of the best part of the lens.

Paul

Don Libby

I agree with Paul, the crop factor will work in your favor. I had used the 28 with a P30+ and had great success with that crop and almost the same with the P45+. The biggest factor is the huge increase in C1 from several years ago.

Don

kdphotography

Don (other Don), C1 Pro 8 improvements will make a big difference (as Don, the other Don) points out. This may help address concerns you have for distortion and sharpness, but I bet the crop factor on your IQ250 will allay any concerns on its own.

ken :)

Don Libby

Ken, I know you really wanted to say Old Tall Don (OTD) and Not So Tall Don (NSTD) :grin:

Two issues regarding the 28D. It will work better on a cropped back so the 250 should be more than fine. The other issue/factor is the huge (measured by leaps and bounds) in C1 software especially how it deals with wide and super wide lenses.

I'm heading out to Moab the end of the week however will be back in a week. If you want to get-together and try the 28D on your 250 let me know as I'll be in town until the end of Oct before heading to Sedona for a wedding then working our way north to Jackson Hole.

I see no downsides based of what I've experienced since super gluing the SW150 ring on to the 28D. The LS model may be the newest bright and shinny and will give you a slightly better shutter however if you don't need flash then the 28D works just as well.

OTD

Sandy just pointed out that using Ambassador Don (AD) would work just as well....:ROTFL:

DougDolde

Do you guys actually use filters anymore? Guess the answer is an obvious yes.

Personally i no longer find them necessary, I can do a grad filter in C!. I also sometimes use the gradient dodge or burn tool in Photokit.

Paul2660

I just received 2 of the NiSi 150 x 150 filters. I am so far very impressed.

To me yes filters still make a difference. Examples glare on water, CLPL huge difference, slower shutter speeds ND use, cutting glare on greens or fall colors on a sunny day. CLPL. I no longer use a CLPL for skies as I find I prefer C1's blue rendering without anything.

Paul

Don Libby

I try and get as much as I can in-camera before resorting to software. That said, while I keep the filters handy I don't use them all of the time; it's better to have and not need than to need and not have.....

Don

aztwang

Don, Have you or anyone else seen Bear Images new proprietary adapter for wide glass. The adapter is supposed to work with Lee 4" glass filters and supposedly is real slick.

Don Libby

Don, Have you or anyone else seen Bear Images new proprietary adapter for wide glass. The adapter is supposed to work with Lee 4" glass filters and supposedly is real slick.
This is the first I've heard of the filters. Did a fast search and couldn't find anything, any chance you have a link?

Don

aztwang

This is the first I've heard of the filters. Did a fast search and couldn't find anything, any chance you have a link?

Don
Jim Taskett of Bear Images told me about it after I had heard rumor of it and if my memory serves me right he said they're only selling them to those customers who bought glass from them..i.e. 35LS... BUT I would verify it with them to make sure my statement is true.

Don Libby

I don't have my 35LS as yet however based on what I've seen using the Cokin on the 40-80 I see no problems using the Cokin on the 35LS. I currently have adaptor rings for all my LS lenses and use only the Cokin which I'm very pleased with. The only reason I have the Lee Sw150 is that was what is available for the 28D otherwise I'd rather use just one filter system.

Don