The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Just how bad is the Schneider 28D or LS on a 180?

Don Libby

I used to have and enjoyed the heck out of a Mamiya 28 back when I shot with a P30+ and P45+. Lots of water under the bridge and now I’m using a IQ180. I picked up a beautiful 40-80 and it has me rethinking wide lens. The difference between the 35 and 40 isn’t enough to justify it by any means so that leaves me with few options if I want wider.

I picked up an older 24mm fisheye but sadly while the lugs fit the XF the lens wouldn’t turn to lock into the camera and I had to return it. This now brings up the 28. I understand the corners might not be sharp but then I had figured the 24 wouldn’t be either. How’s the color cast; can it be corrected with an LCC? In general for those who have first hand, hands on experience what’s your opinion?

Don

kdphotography

I think someone's just in a shopping mood.... :ROTFL: If it's gotta be for the XF, buy it already. You don't have any wider options. Latest lens corrections ala C1 8 Pro may help (dunno) but crop the corners on the 28LS and you're still a bit wider than the 35LS fov.

Other options:

1. Go with your Cambo when going wide. Get the 28HR and be satisfied with next to no movements, or get the highly acclaimed 32HR and center filter. You wanted to spend money this is it. ;)
2. Get an Alpa FPS or Hcam paired with Canon 17mm tse.
3. For the few times that you need wider and only have the XF and 40-80 along, simply shoot 2-3 frames and do a pano stitch.
4. Buy the IQ/Leaf WS MFDB. This is an obvious distraction and you'll be just as extremely happy if not moreso, and still satisfy that urge to shop.

:) ken

Don Libby

Thank you Ken for those wise words of wisdom :shocked:

Have you ordered the 40-80 yet?

Don

I've got a trip to Moab in a couple weeks and might see if I can borrow a 28 to do actual hands on testing. Other than the LS there seems to be little difference (besides weight) between the D and LS. Then again my 3-main lens are now all LS and I don't know how they might react to a D lens in the same bag. :ROTFL:

aztwang

Don,

Never got a chance to make it up to Sedona as CI had the 35LS tied up. I would love to see some images of the 40-80 at various focal lengths. I too am having issues deciding, but between the 40-80 and the 35. BTW are you happy sticking with IQ 1 series with the XF?...or are you longing for missing XF features?

Don

Don Libby

Okay, just did a fast test in my backyard which is what I should have done all along. Bottom line is I have no need for anything wider than the 40.

View attachment 94423
3-shot handheld horizontal with the 180 after cropping unusable space gives a 22632x7304 @360 (62x20) image. Might have been better on tripod and taking a little more effort.

View attachment 94424
4-shot vertical after cropping gave me 20550x10328 (57x28).

Both shot at 40mm. Haven't done much if any work to either image other than stitch and crop. I'm thinking the 40-80 is as near a "one-lens" wonder as I'll get so I'm no longer lusting for anything wider. I'm putting my wallet back in the safe (for now).

Don

- - - Updated - - -

Don Libby

Don,

Never got a chance to make it up to Sedona as CI had the 35LS tied up. I would love to see some images of the 40-80 at various focal lengths. I too am having issues deciding, but between the 40-80 and the 35. BTW are you happy sticking with IQ 1 series with the XF?...or are you longing for missing XF features?

Don

Don, as luck would have it I just finished running both the 40-80 and 75-150 through various focal lengths and will share shortly.

Don

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Don: for those 645 Pro TL lenses that don't natively fit the XF you can have the mount modified at minimal expense. After modification the lens still works on the DF/DF+, but also works on the XF.

See also our article on the 80/1.9 and other such lenses:
Big Buttery Bokeh; Ultra Fast Portrait Lenses for Phase One Bodies - DT Blog

The 50 Shift is another lens that requires physical modification if you want to fit to the XF.

I just shot a good fraction of a wedding using a XF-modified 80/1.9 on an XF with an IQ350.

Bill Caulfeild-Browne

Don, I've been using the Mamiya 28 mm for several years on the IQ180. I love the lens - but it's best at f11. C1 8 does a nice job of sharpening the corners. Many of my recent print sales (typically 30+ inches) have been from pix with the lens.

IQ180, ISO 50, f11 @1/50th

Don Libby

I've been silent about this until this morning when I posted by latest blog on the lens I wasn't supposed to like. I found a deal on EBay for a Mamiya 28mm D lens that was just too good to pass up as it was an excellent lens and came with a 14-day return policy from a company I've done business with before.

Shortly after getting the lens I knew it was a winner. I also went into this feeling that while 28mm would be nice I'd be just as happy with 30-32mm. The upper corners are sharp while the bottom can be a little mushy/soft yet easily cropped. I've also found the improvements in C1 especially the wide angle portion is very good.

I've had no problems with color cast that has been reported by others using this lens with an 80-megapixel back. Bottom line is that I'm very pleased with the lens and will use it when I need wider than my 40-80. I plan on taking both with me as I hike to Delicate Arch later this month.

My suggestion is to try the lens as you might be surprised at how well it actually works.

Don

Jeffrey

Hi Don L

If you come down to Pheonix early on Thursday, you can test my SK 28 LS all day.

Jeffery:

Looking forward to seeing you on Octoder 13th in Los Angeles for the Stand Out! event.

Signed, the "other Jeffrey" from the Lake Tahoe group technical camera shoot, aka Pigs in a Blanket.

Looking forward to seeing you on Octoder 13th in Los Angeles for the Stand Out! event.

Signed, the "other Jeffrey" from the Lake Tahoe group technical camera shoot, aka Pigs in a Blanket.
Hi Jeffrey L,

Looking forward to the Stand Out! event myself. It will be great to share pictures, stories and ideas with the photographers and creatives who are attending. I always feel visually refreshed and inspired to produce better images after going to a forum or a workshop.

I hope the moderators don't mind me sharing this link.

Home - Stand Out! Photographic Forums

Happy to meet any Getdpi members who can make it to the Toronto or L.A. forums.

Thank you,
Jeffery S.

Stefan Steib

Don: for those 645 Pro TL lenses that don't natively fit the XF you can have the mount modified at minimal expense. After modification the lens still works on the DF/DF+, but also works on the XF.

See also our article on the 80/1.9 and other such lenses:
Big Buttery Bokeh; Ultra Fast Portrait Lenses for Phase One Bodies - DT Blog

The 50 Shift is another lens that requires physical modification if you want to fit to the XF.

I just shot a good fraction of a wedding using a XF-modified 80/1.9 on an XF with an IQ350.
Hi Doug
Could you supply an image or/+ a description what is changed for the use with the XF on the ProTL Lenses ?

TIA
Stefan

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
I've been silent about this until this morning when I posted by latest blog on the lens I wasn't supposed to like. I found a deal on EBay for a Mamiya 28mm D lens that was just too good to pass up as it was an excellent lens and came with a 14-day return policy from a company I've done business with before.

Don
I'd just like to say that I feel totally vindicated :ROTFL::thumbs:

(And btw, I like my copy too of the 28D. It'll get you shots that the 35D never could. The filter assembly is a pain and I did try the rear element with gelatin filter once for ND but never again.)

Don Libby

I'd just like to say that I feel totally vindicated :ROTFL::thumbs:

(And btw, I like my copy too of the 28D. It'll get you shots that the 35D never could. The filter assembly is a pain and I did try the rear element with gelatin filter once for ND but never again.)
I fell in love with the 28 while I had the P30+ but sold it shortly after getting the Cambo. It actually was a love/hate relationship due to the lack of proper filters. That's been changed with the Lee SW150 that Phase One sells made specifically for the 28. I had a chance to see one that Jeffery Salter has for his Phase One 28LS and since there's no physical change between the Mamiya and D and LS it will work just fine. I've got a SW150 on order through CI and hope to get it soon.

Don Libby

Just got off the phone with Capture Integration; seems my Lee SW150 has shipped and I should have it later this week more than enough time to get used to it before we head to Moab later in the month.

As much as I had wanted this lens I wasn't going to get another unless someone had figured a practical way to use filters. I've seen the SW150 on a Phase 28 LS and it works. I'll get used to it and do a write up soon for all those 28mm suffering from a lack of proper filters.

Don

PS - Dave Gallagher told me he had ordered a couple so he's got these in stock. Oh, and they are the newer version II.

:grin:

Don Libby

The SW150 for the 28mm arrived this afternoon. I had tried the first version which fit tight,this one is version II which includes the light shield and different color compressionring. While this is made for the PhaseOne 4.5 28mm it can be used with a Mamiya 28mm D which I have. There are some drawbacks.

First the compression ring for whatever the reason didn’t compressmaking the filter hold tight; instead it is ever so wobbly. This might be operator error however at themoment I’m current unable to separate the locking ring. While I’ll try it again I have jury rigged asolution using gaffers tape to settle it down and way well wobbly.

I did a couple test shots and can see the system works withsome limitations. There appears to be slight vignette at the upper corners when using a filter that isn’t there without one.

All in all this is light years ahead of what I went throughin 2006 when I attempted to mount a filter on the first version of the Mamiya28.

I’m going to go back and try to unscrew the locking ring andsee if I can get everything to work 100% - right now I’d say the filter holderis 100% however the adaptor is a high 90% due to the wobble.
More to come…