The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

New filter holder for XXL lenses

carl-b

Hi guys. I just made a purchase through Linhof studio, along with the item is a newsletter. In it, it lists a new filter holder to accept Lee SW150 filters. I can't find it on their website yet.

Linhof studio has developed a NEW filter holder to accept the SW150 filters. Designed specifically for lenses with large front outer diameters from 90mm to 136mm. The holder comes with a 105mm adapter ring.
RRP £245+ VAT.

Other sizes available
90mm
95mm
100mm
110mm
112mm
115mm
117mm
122mm
125mm

Each £95 +VAT.

A tad pricey, but could be useful for big lenses on tech/ view cams and the newer P1 lenses. :D

EDIT

Found it after googling it. :facesmack:

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&r...7shOlXWmydWAHZF0g&sig2=pCd4rcQkUifPjLdR6Xn9jA

Seems from another link in google, this has been available since May 2014.

Last edited:
Here's the link I think, Carl:

http://www.linhofstudio.com/products/Lee-Filters-SW150-System

Hi guys. I just made a purchase through Linhof studio, along with the item is a newsletter. In it, it lists a new filter holder to accept Lee SW150 filters. I can't find it on their website yet.

Linhof studio has developed a NEW filter holder to accept the SW150 filters. Designed specifically for lenses with large front outer diameters from 90mm to 136mm. The holder comes with a 105mm adapter ring.
RRP £245+ VAT.

Other sizes available
90mm
95mm
100mm
110mm
112mm
115mm
117mm
122mm
125mm

Each £95 +VAT.

A tad pricey, but could be useful for big lenses on tech/ view cams and the newer P1 lenses. :D

EDIT

Found it after googling it. :facesmack:

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&r...7shOlXWmydWAHZF0g&sig2=pCd4rcQkUifPjLdR6Xn9jA

Seems from another link in google, this has been available since May 2014.

Paul2660

Thanks for the link. This has been rumored for a while, but this is the first actual picture I have seen. This is a Linholf manufactured item, and I missed that earlier in my response. Hope they also may add a hood to this for later use.

One note, if you use a CL-PL, screw type, I am assuming the new 105mm ring will not allow it as the ring will fit over the CL-PL and thus not allow you to grab the non rotating part of the CL-PL to remove it.

CA Vision and Schneider both make a glass CL-PL that will fit the SW-150 setup. The CA-Vision will need the wider filter slot 4mm, not 2mm. But you can stack a 2mm and 4mm together. I have used this step for years with the Lee SW-150 on my Nikon 14-24. The CA is glass so it will add a bit of weight to the front. CA Vision is in Canada. The new Lee Light shields are also excellent much better than the older flat designs they had in the past.

The only issue you will have to use a 2mm and 4mm slot with Lee's SW-150 is that Lee screws only accommodate the 2x 2mm slots. However the Apple Mac Pro long case screws work fine. You can buy this in repair kits for the macpro laptops.

Paul

Last edited:
This is a direct link to the page for the 105 mm ring. I have recently picked up the Schneider kreuznach 35 LS f/3.5 which takes a 105mm filter. Don. L came up with an idea of using the Cokin Xpro system and their adapter ring. I ordered through BH but they seem to be slow in delivering the adapter ring.

I may try the Linhofstudio filter holder.

Lee Filters SW150 XXL Filter Holder

MILESF

I've just got the new XXL system. Finally, there's a non vignetting solution for the 23mm Rodenstock. It's only taken me a couple of years to find it but the XXL holder and the 100mm donut spacer can be attached to the outside of the 23mm Rodenstock Center Filter and allows two SW150 filters to be used without any vignetting. A number of possible solutions have been discussed on this forum over the last couple of years but this does work. I had a slight light leak on the 23mm via the gap on the donut spacer. The leak is very small so can easily be cropped out and I think a small piece of gaffer tape across the gap will also address this. There's no lens hood but perhaps that would require some sort of scaffolding.

It should also be a solution for the SK LS 35mm Phase One lens though I'm not sure how it would compare with Don's Cokin option.

One note, if you use a CL-PL, screw type, I am assuming the new 105mm ring will not allow it as the ring will fit over the CL-PL and thus not allow you to grab the non rotating part of the CL-PL to remove it.
Paul
Paul, I think that's right. It will all screw together ( though I don't have a lens with a 105mm filter thread - yet) but I wouldn't like to have to try and undo it if it stuck as it surely would. However Lee do now make an SW150 circular polariser.

Whilst this system uses the SW150 filters it is not compatible with the Lee SW150 MkII holder. So you can't combine the holder that works with, for instance, the Nikon 14-24 lens with the XXL donut rings.

It's very solidly engineered and therefore heavier than the SW150. It seems to have been developed by Linhof Studio so I assume they will be the only outlet for it but in my experience they're lovely people to deal with.