The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Leica S (007) starts career at significantly lower price...

T.Dascalos

Not Available
According to "Red Dot" Leica S007 has now been released...

Leica S (Typ 007) Starts Shipping with Lower Price of $16,900 | Red Dot Forum

Other than the price being reduced to less than 70% of the originally suggested one, there are also two spec changes... DR is claimed to be an enormous 15 stops (!) range and ISO range has been expanded both sides from 100 up to 12800 ISO (Originally 200-6400)... It seems that Sony MF sensor now has some very serious competition.

Last edited:

ddanois

I'm waiting for the objective reviews. I'd love to consider the idea of the S system being the dynamic range monster but I've waited long enough for this system to achieve its potential. This isn't Troll speak as I was one of the first to invest in the COMPLETE system and needed to move on because of delayed firmware fixes and legacy features.

The lenses are great but the body is lagging behind the industry.

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Has diglloyd found a fundamentally bad aspect to the camera or obscure earth shattering fault yet? I'm waiting to hear ... He'll find something I'm sure. :facesmack:

Just kidding of course!

I used the predecessor on a few occasions and really loved the system but I'm too invested in Phase One glass to change the MF DSLR side of my gear.

Shashin

I used the predecessor on a few occasions and really loved the system but I'm too invested in Phase One glass to change the MF DSLR side of my gear.
First Don Libby stops buying a lens, now Graham doesn't want more gear. Has the world gone mad?

DR is claimed to be an enormous 15 stops (!) range
To be taken with some grains of salt here, Michael on LuLa has already tested this camera against the 645Z and A7RII and found that it's behind the other two in noise at ISO3200, and looking at the crops I agree, albeit it's early-release firmware and no official LR support.

kimyeesan

To be taken with some grains of salt here, Michael on LuLa has already tested this camera against the 645Z and A7RII and found that it's behind the other two in noise at ISO3200, and looking at the crops I agree, albeit it's early-release firmware and no official LR support.
I think even with Firmware upgrade, it wills till lack behind. The only 2 thingsthat I think still works for S, are the lens system and ergonomics.

V

Vivek

I think the conclusion is more believable:

from LuLa

For the pro or wealthy enthusiast with an appreciation for the Leica ethos, the S(007) will be eagerly received. For others, a visit to a Leica store or retailer will pay off with an opportunity to see this company’s new state-of-the-art medium format offering and to draw own conclusions.

T.Dascalos

Not Available
I think even with Firmware upgrade, it wills till lack behind. The only 2 thingsthat I think still works for S, are the lens system and ergonomics.
Michael also states in his review that "this is not a final review but rather a pre-review" and that he "expects when LR will have S007 profile, the files to cover the distance from Sony MF sensor or the A7Rii sensor"...

I expect that when LR will "recognize" S007 performance, it will prove even better than the most modern of sensors, but given that the two sensors that Michael used against the S007 are currently considered as being the very best around (Sony's MF sensor is widely accepted as being the better out of the best) and that the difference he found (without proper software used for the S007) where "pretty close", the S007 certainly bears one of the best sensors around...

Shashin

Michael also states in his review that "this is not a final review but rather a pre-review" and that he "expects when LR will have S007 profile, the files to cover the distance from Sony MF sensor or the A7Rii sensor"...

I expect that when LR will "recognize" S007 performance, it will prove even better than the most modern of sensors, but given that the two sensors that Michael used against the S007 are currently considered as being the very best around (Sony's MF sensor is widely accepted as being the better out of the best) and that the difference he found (without proper software used for the S007) where "pretty close", the S007 certainly bears one of the best sensors around...
Well, Michael is a photographer, not an engineer. Given the pixel pitch of the S 007, you would expect it to be doing a bit better in regards to noise.

Shashin

DR is claimed to be an enormous 15 stops (!) range
Leica states it is "up to 15 f-stops," which is an odd claim from a manufacturer. I am sure it will be a fine camera, I think we might want to temper the enthusiasm about performance until more is known. But I would not be buying this based on specs.

Shashin

This might solve the 15 stop DR claim. From DPreview:

Possibly the most significant feature of the new sensor is the quoted 15-stop dynamic range. Leica claims there has been no demand from its S camera users for greater resolution, but the increase from 13-stops of DR in the Type 006 to 15 stops will have a definite impact on the way images look. The DNG Raw files are recorded in 14bit with some interpolation applied to produce the quoted figures.
It will be interesting to see how close to 14-bit the DR can actually get to.

miska

It is interesting to see that here in Europe, the James-Bond S is ~2k Euros cheaper than its predecessor (18k vs 20k). Even the S-E is now around 15k.
I suspect we will see the prices of used S2s, and 006s go down quite significantly... Prepare your wallets :)

I find it also interesting that Leica still sells new 006s, "for the CCD look" and probably to clear inventory. What their price is now is unknown.

And a first preview:

http://www.dpreview.com/articles/21...test-in-the-world-for-its-new-cmos-s-type-007

Ken_R

The Leica S 007 looks like an awesome alternative in MFD. The lenses are superb and you can use Hasselblad H and Contax 645 with a Leica factory adapter and have full AF and exposure functions. Leica also offers adapters for Hasselblad V, Pentax 67 and Mamiya 645 (phase) but without any electronic (or mech) control.

The sensor looks to be VERY competitive and the body is a cut above anything else on the market (integrated DSLR body). Would I choose this over an XF? For location work and Travel most likely yes. But the PhaseOne XF is a much more versatile (modular) system albeit much more expensive.

Kudos to Leica for lowering the price.

T.Dascalos

Not Available
It is interesting to see that here in Europe, the James-Bond S is ~2k Euros cheaper than its predecessor (18k vs 20k). Even the S-E is now around 15k.
I suspect we will see the prices of used S2s, and 006s go down quite significantly... Prepare your wallets :)

I find it also interesting that Leica still sells new 006s, "for the CCD look" and probably to clear inventory. What their price is now is unknown.

And a first preview:

http://www.dpreview.com/articles/21...test-in-the-world-for-its-new-cmos-s-type-007
Speaking for lens compatibility, I believe this camera will be extremely successful among the (large number) of wedding photographers that are using Contax 645 with film (and some that use old Hasselblad H)... I believe it will allow them to get rid of the DSLRs they use alongside their Contax system and thus finance the body easily, it will also allow them to add prestige in their work, but it will also reduce the equipment they have to carry considerably since they will be able to share the lenses between the two cameras... With only 3-4 lenses they will be able to do all film, low light and perhaps (if necessary) some video too...

Speaking for lens compatibility, I believe this camera will be extremely successful among the (large number) of wedding photographers that are using Contax 645 with film (and some that use old Hasselblad H)... I believe it will allow them to get rid of the DSLRs they use alongside their Contax system and thus finance the body easily, it will also allow them to add prestige in their work, but it will also reduce the equipment they have to carry considerably since they will be able to share the lenses between the two cameras... With only 3-4 lenses they will be able to do all film, low light and perhaps (if necessary) some video too...
The Leica will be neither as fast as a 35mm DSLR nor offer the look of full-frame 645 film... I'm sure that it has its appeal, but it won't offer a replacement to either of the things you mentioned. I love my 645Z but I wouldn't even attempt a wedding unless I also had a 1DX+24-70mm on tap.

T.Dascalos

Not Available
The Leica will be neither as fast as a 35mm DSLR nor offer the look of full-frame 645 film... I'm sure that it has its appeal, but it won't offer a replacement to either of the things you mentioned. I love my 645Z but I wouldn't even attempt a wedding unless I also had a 1DX+24-70mm on tap.
What you state is irrelevant to the fact that one (not you) will be able to have both digital and film with only 3-4 lenses and the extra status that using a Leica will offer him... Your 645Z can't share the lenses with Contax 645 and (obviously) you don't shoot film...

PeterA

What is it with people's interest in high ISO these days? - just don't get it. I mean seriously??? Who cares what the noise level is at 800 let alone 3200 :loco: I've got the original S2 I think I have used it one stop above baseline ...maybe once - and please MR Reichmann of the ex Phase One marketing brigade and now Pentax (oops scratch that) now Sony marketing brigade - give it a rest mate- and concentrate on making dollar shop postcard landscape snaps.

Hows that for a Leica shooter bare knuckle response - eh?:cool:

T.Dascalos

Not Available
What is it with people's interest in high ISO these days? - just don't get it. I mean seriously??? Who cares what the noise level is at 800 let alone 3200 :loco: I've got the original S2 I think I have used it one stop above baseline ...maybe once - and please MR Reichmann of the ex Phase One marketing brigade and now Pentax (oops scratch that) now Sony marketing brigade - give it a rest mate- and concentrate on making dollar shop postcard landscape snaps.

Hows that for a Leica shooter bare knuckle response - eh?:cool:
That's easy to answer... many pros (other than sports), but wedding photographers too, have to deal with LL photography for a good part of their work...

Shashin

I don't understand this. How did photographers do weddings with manual focus film cameras? I would easily do a wedding with my 645D, I am sure there would be no problem with the Z. The Leica would be fine as well.