The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Help/advice for mamiya 645 afd ii

carl-b

Hi guys i need some help/ advice re the above camera. More specifically the HM401 film backs. When i bought my camera, i slowly built up the film backs. I now have 4. :loco:

The first one fb1 , which i never noticed at first ( first time using film) reset back to No1 after about 6 shots or so. I carried on with it and eventually got 2 more - will be known as fb2 / fb3 for reference.

Both worked fine, no resets etc. Last year i managed to get a boxed version - fb4 to replace fb1, which was virtually new. This weekend just gone i was out using the camera and the new fb4. However after 6 shots it reset back to one. :mad: The next day i was shooting again. The camera was in MUP and using the self timer as the cable release was in the bottom of my pack. The camera locked up and refused to work until it was switched off/on a few times - then error 04 came up on the lcd and fb2 reset back to 1 again. :banghead:

This is the first lock up i have had since getting the 10k batteries for it. The battery was fully charged, well apart from taking maybe 20 shots before the lock up.

I have just cleaned all the contacts on the camera/ backs and will put a roll through each of the fb2/4 backs the weekend to see if it helps?

While not dangerous etc just annoying. Does anyone know the cause? Is their a fix other than replacing the film backs ( digital back in the future pipeline).

TIA

Carl :thumbup:

Steve Hendrix

Hi guys i need some help/ advice re the above camera. More specifically the HM401 film backs. When i bought my camera, i slowly built up the film backs. I now have 4. :loco:

The first one fb1 , which i never noticed at first ( first time using film) reset back to No1 after about 6 shots or so. I carried on with it and eventually got 2 more - will be known as fb2 / fb3 for reference.

Both worked fine, no resets etc. Last year i managed to get a boxed version - fb4 to replace fb1, which was virtually new. This weekend just gone i was out using the camera and the new fb4. However after 6 shots it reset back to one. :mad: The next day i was shooting again. The camera was in MUP and using the self timer as the cable release was in the bottom of my pack. The camera locked up and refused to work until it was switched off/on a few times - then error 04 came up on the lcd and fb2 reset back to 1 again. :banghead:

This is the first lock up i have had since getting the 10k batteries for it. The battery was fully charged, well apart from taking maybe 20 shots before the lock up.

I have just cleaned all the contacts on the camera/ backs and will put a roll through each of the fb2/4 backs the weekend to see if it helps?

While not dangerous etc just annoying. Does anyone know the cause? Is their a fix other than replacing the film backs ( digital back in the future pipeline).

TIA

Carl :thumbup:

Is this the first time you've had a lockup with the 10k (but you've used it previously)?

Did you check the battery in the film magazine?

I have an old PDF copy of the AFD-II manual and looked for a custom function to set Lithium or Alkaline, but didn't see that option (CF-4 on DF+).

Steve Hendrix
CI

carl-b

Hi Steve
Thank you for the reply.

Yes it was the first time i had a lock up with the 10k battery. When i first got the camera i used normal rechargeable batteries and got loads of lock ups. I then switched to eneloops and only ever had a few lock ups. So changed to the 10k battery so i didn't have to worry about lock ups and also the length of time the batteries lasted.

I have changed the battery in the film backs, but i thought they were just to power the lcd on the backs?

carl-b

Update.

After cleaning the contacts and trying the 2 film backs again tonight. Fb2 caused an error 04 again and reset back to No1 after about 8 shots. Fb4 operated as normal this time, no resets.

Does anyone know what error 04 is? Could the shutter be ready to fail?

As to the backs resetting. Could that be the back itself or the insert? The inserts i can get quite cheap, compared to the full back.

TIA

Carl

S

sdz

Hello everybody!

I have exactly the same issue. AFd ii with two different film backs. I used normal alkaline and eneloops with 2700mAh and I cleaned the contacts also but its all the same. I have the issue with every roll in both backs. The counter is set back to "--" so I loose the photo that was stuck and the camera winds up the film afterwards also, so i loose at least two shots so this isn´t merely annoying.

Did anyone find a solution to this problem?

Best regards, Sebastian

kdphotography

It's been way too long since I've troubleshot a Mamiya AFD with a filmback. :shocked:

Try disconnecting ALL the bits parts and pieces (lens, film back, remove batteries). Let set for about 15 seconds. (Dan Quayle said drop the "e"----thanks Steve Gilbert)

Use Energizer Lithium AA (do not use mere mortal alkalines or rechargeables!)

Replace the battery in the film back

Clean the contacts on all the bits, parts, pieces---lens, lens to body, film back, film back to body, film insert, battery contacts.

ken

Last edited: