The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

P1 SK 150mm LS Lens Thoughts?

heyyrobert

Hey everyone,

Looking to pick up the SK 150mm LS - but it seems to be gear that's hard to find images of on the web. Without much info, and without a chance to look at it in the near future:

1. Does anyone have any sample images to share? I don't mind if they're jpegs or anything - I'm not here to pixel peep! I'd just love to see what's out there. Even on Flickr, there's just like 6 car images and a portrait. I'm a portrait shooter, so anything related would be awesome!

2. Thoughts? Love, hate, or somewhere in between?

3. Versus the 110mm? I think the 110 would end up being too similar to 80, especially on a 1.3x crop IQ140, but open to hearing opinions!

Thanks y'all!

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
If you're located in the U.S. shoot me an email.

We maintain a large catalog of example images for just this reason and would be glad to send you sample Raw files.

In general the 150LS is a nice lens but has more CA than the 110 or 240. If you don't need sync speed I actually prefer the 150D.

kdphotography

I'm a portrait photographer, and the 150mm is my most used lens. I had the 150mm D for quite some time, and decided to move to the 150LS, primarily because of the leaf shutter. The 150 D may be a hair sharper, but really doubt you can tell absent pixel peeping beyond what is going to come out of the printer. I currently use an IQ180 and DF body. I have the 110mm LS as well, but I find myself reaching for the 150 much more. It is my "go-to" lens when possible. I have the 240LS as well, but it is recently acquired and I haven't had the chance to use it for portraiture yet. One nice surprise is that the LS version appears to lock focus better than the 150mm D, which I attribute to having the latest firmware/electronics compared to the much older 150 D. The 150 D is no slouch either, and imho, remains one of the best lenses available; the FMV for a used 150mm D is surprisingly soft for such a stellar lens, imho. There is a 150D currently in the buy/sell which I think is ridiculously cheap---it's like the 150D has become the Rodney Dangerfield of "no respect" in the line of great Phase lenses. It is undeserved; I consider this lens to be in the top tier of must-have lenses for the Phase DF/XF body. I use studio strobes on location frequently, and the ability to use the faster flash sync of leaf shutters makes the 150LS a much better choice for me, albeit much more expensive.

B&W 150 D on P30; Family 150 D on P65+; Rocco Mediate 150LS on IQ180

kenCF002535 Mateo WEB.jpgCF006113Krambsbeach web.jpgCF013164 Rocco Mediate WEB.jpg

Last edited:

Oamkumar

Hi,

I'm using this lens and I think its a very good one. I recently tested this lens with 120mm f4 MF lens and I found 120mm is sharper by a small margin. Im not saying 150 is soft lens. Its very good. You can check the sample (Actually its one of the first shots from my MF system. I use Credo 60 and Phaseone DF+)

You can see the full resolution image. Its not sharpened, its Capture One's default sharpening settings. Shot in side a Studio, Hope this will help.

Leaf Credo 60 test shot by Oamkumar Thottungal, on Flickr