The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Movements on a budget

kdphotography

If you are tethering with a laptop, it's hard to beat options from Tethertools or Ninevolt. But if you have a Surface Pro tablet and are tethering in the field, make sure to check out the latest clamping options, https://kendoophotography.wordpress...-with-the-surface-pro-evolving-clamp-choices/

Actually, life is short. I think you should get the Cambo Actus DB, trade in your Credo for an IQ150 for the CMOS live-view and be done with it. Well, except for the lenses. :D

And a Range Rover.

:p ken

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
HERE is a good overview of the Cambo Actus.

The big downside is the focusing. It does not have a distance scale based helicoid system. It is just rack focusing. Infinity should be pretty easy to find with any lens with some trial and error (using a distant object as subject, 2km away at least) but then you will have to make your own custom table for other distances.
I would propose with the Credo 40 that you actually shoot / focus using the live view features of Capture One, not just shoot / review tethered. You are correct that it's more involved than using a tech camera because there is no calibrated helicoid to measure off and set distance against.

I use the Cambo Actus DB with my IQ150 and admittedly the built in live view is AWESOME, let correct that, it's REALLY FRICKIN' AWESOME. :thumbs: Ditto any of the other CMOS backs such as the Credo 50c or CFV50c. It's so easy to use the Actus with live view on the LCD that the lack of calibrated distance scales isn't an issue at all. With live view on the SP3 over USB3 it should arguably be better with the larger display - not sure if you can use the multiple focus zones with the Credo but for tilts that would be great.

I find that I can focus the Actus DB with both tilts / swing near/far and also long lenses (eg. 150mm SK XL Digitar) very very easily and nail the focus. The LV on the LCD is softer than is displayed on a tethered laptop too.

For example - IQ150 with Actus DB and SK 150mm dialed in using live view which wouldn't be that impressive unless you realize where it comes from (excuse the jpg compression artifacts making it crunchier than it really is):

Last edited:

synn

@Ken: Thanks for the suggestions for clamping options. Will look through them in detail before deciding on an option.
Regarding the IQ 150, I know that this is a pandora's box, but I'm a good ol' CCD Lover. :)

@Graham: Beautiful capture and it is good to see that the lack of calibrated distance markings is not a problem with the Actus. Almost everything that I want to do with it would involve infinity focus and some tilt and/or swing, so it shouldn't be a deal breaker.

Currently, my thoughts are about going with some Schneider film lenses and not Digitar because of cost reasons. I understand that these won't be the sharpest optics out there, but that's ok.

I have recently acquired a Mamiya 50mm shift, which while isn't as sharp as the Schneiders, delivers a sort of rendering that is very pleasant to me.

jlm

Workshop Member
realize that not only are there no calibrated focus marks using the actus, there are no focus stops whatsoever, meaning you could have the lens 1" or 1/2" from infinity, on either side. you need some sort of live view to get even close enough to focus to where you can take a shot and confirm post-shot with the tethering that you got it right.

synn

realize that not only are there no calibrated focus marks using the actus, there are no focus stops whatsoever, meaning you could have the lens 1" or 1/2" from infinity, on either side. you need some sort of live view to get even close enough to focus to where you can take a shot and confirm post-shot with the tethering that you got it right.
As I understand, there is a "Brake" of sorts that one can use in the Actus, right? i.e., once I achieve infinity focus on a lens after confirming it, i can leave the brake there for good (Unless I change the lens of course).

jlm

Workshop Member
more or less correct. there is a sliding bar you can lock down so the lens cannot hit your sensor, but it stops the main slide, not the gear driven track. to use the bar as a safety stop, you would first set the gear track to it's close focus limit, then set the safety bar, and do this for your shortest fl lens. not quite the same as an infinity stop, but would get you close for that lens. bear in mind you still need a bit of +/- geared track movement even after hitting the stop. i suppose you could figure out some sort of scale for where the rear standard has to be, but it won't be as accurate as you would finally need.

also distinguish live view on a CMOS back, which is superior, to live view on a CCD back. wayne fox has had good results using live view on his CCD back, but once you see the CMOS version, you will be spoiled forever.
'

something else to look at is using the Actus with the Sony A7RII, which Scho has been successful with, though wide angles are bit limited. but you do get all the movements and an especially good live view with 40 mpx

Last edited:

synn

Dear forum,

Does anyone here know anything about Schneider 47 lenses marked just "Digitar"? No APO, no XL.
Do they have image circles big enough to allow movements on 44x33 backs? I am primarily looking for a big image circle, absolute sharpness is secondary.

Thanks !

I've only ever seen the APO-Digitar, which has around a 110mm IC (advertised) so you should get about 27mm vertical, 35mm horizontal. So far as I know, the 28 L was the only "digital age" Schneider lens to get just a "Digitar" label and not APO-Digitar. That said, my knowledge on Schneider lenses isn't deep, and there could be differences in their marketing material versus how the lenses were actually labeled.

Just be careful that someone isn't trying to sell you an old SA 47/5.6 as a Digitar. They're easy to confuse.

Steve Hendrix

Dear forum,

Does anyone here know anything about Schneider 47 lenses marked just "Digitar"? No APO, no XL.
Do they have image circles big enough to allow movements on 44x33 backs? I am primarily looking for a big image circle, absolute sharpness is secondary.

Thanks !

There was a 47 Digitar L that was non APO and had 60mm image circle. This is probably what you're seeing. A bit tight on your Credo if you want to move it.

(Thanks to my friend Paul Cousins @ Schneider Optics for the assist).

Steve Hendrix
CI