The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Cambo 1200 vs 400 / 2 way vs 4 way stitching

Hi all,
I've been researching technical cameras for a while but because Canadian dollar isn't doing very well right now to make any purchases, I guess, I'm going to keep researching.
While comparing Cambo WRS 1200 to WRC400 I found out that the 1200 offers 2 way/4 way stitching, while the 400 offers only 2 way stitching.
What does it mean in practice? Does this mean that with the 400 I can't move my back in a circle as if right-down-left-up and can only go side-to-side or up-down?

Sasha

daf

Does this mean that with the 400 I can't move my back in a circle as if right-down-left-up and can only go side-to-side or up-down?

Sasha
Exactly...
It is a brilliant compact system, very well design and well made , i bought it as my travel system( used with 35 and 72mm)... but i kept the wds as my main main body because of the shift+rise/fall ability which is very needed for achitcture photography.

So it will depends on what you are going to do with it?
shooting street photography, travel, lifestyle, wrc400 is probably the best camera...shooting landscape i'd go with a WRS1250, shooting architecture:a wrs5000 or an old WDSwill do the job perfectly.

Exactly...
It is a brilliant compact system, very well design and well made , i bought it as my travel system( used with 35 and 72mm)... but i kept the wds as my main main body because of the shift+rise/fall ability which is very needed for achitcture photography.

So it will depends on what you are going to do with it?
shooting street photography, travel, lifestyle, wrc400 is probably the best camera...shooting landscape i'd go with a WRS1250, shooting architecture:a wrs5000 or an old WDSwill do the job perfectly.
Thank you for your reply. The camera would be used for architectural photography. Why would you prefer WRS1250 over WRX1200?

weinlamm

Thank you for your reply. The camera would be used for architectural photography. Why would you prefer WRS1250 over WRX1200?
Because xx50 has wooden grips - the xx00 not. This looks much better. :)
In the moment this applies for 1000/1200 vs 1050/1250. AE-version + 5000 should have wood from ground.

Think about the wood - you are from Canada... ;) I got here cold fingers by using a 1000 in winter - so I had changed to the 1250. :rolleyes:

kdphotography

Wood grips can be an add-on, so even the plebian WRS1000 can look like a 1250 and no one would ever know the difference.

There is very little difference between the Cambo technical pancake bodies (aside from the 400) in terms of impact on your image making. Nice tweaks and creature comforts and definite eye-candy upgrades (Ooooh, AE version, pretty!) AE and the 5000 have larger roll knobs so presumably would make use/adjustment of rise/fall and shift easier with gloves on. Don't know if substantively that's a reason to upgrade. :rolleyes: But I wouldn't turn it down if it was offered at the time I got my Cambo. Later versions are also better counter balanced to offset the weight of the back. Never really an issue with my Cambo as with the RRS plate on bottom, my Cambo sits on the countertop easily whether the MFDB is attached or not.

Not much really to a pancake camera (aside from movements offered---and all the models have that covered). More important is what you put on the back and front of the camera. And never mind that onlookers shake their heads in disgust if you happen to forego the aesthetically pleasing wood grips...hell, most won't know what the hell you're shooting anyway. I had one lady think I was a surveyor using a leveler with fancy wood grips. :ROTFL:

ken

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Ken, as far as I know the "counter balance" in the later models is an internal mechanism to make sure rise/fall are equally easy when a back is mounted. It's not a fore-aft balance thing.

kdphotography

You're right, Doug. Middle-aged memory strikes again :loco:---this coming way back from when Guy was selling his AE---should have grabbed it. But the main point is, I don't think that there is a situation that exists, where an image could not be captured, because the user opted for the WRS 1250 over the WRS5000. Same MFDB, same lens, same conditions, same ease of use. The only substantive difference I see is----damn you look good with that WRS5000. ;)

daf

You're right, Doug. Middle-aged memory strikes again :loco:---this coming way back from when Guy was selling his AE---should have grabbed it. But the main point is, I don't think that there is a situation that exists, where an image could not be captured, because the user opted for the WRS 1250 over the WRS5000. Same MFDB, same lens, same conditions, same ease of use. The only substantive difference I see is----damn you look good with that WRS5000. ;)
There is more shift on the wrs5000 +23mm instead of 20mm on the 1200....
The old wds give +35mm lens rise (good for long lenses)

fmueller

Wood grips can be an add-on, so even the plebian WRS1000 can look like a 1250 and no one would ever know the difference.

There is very little difference between the Cambo technical pancake bodies (aside from the 400) in terms of impact on your image making. Nice tweaks and creature comforts and definite eye-candy upgrades (Ooooh, AE version, pretty!) AE and the 5000 have larger roll knobs so presumably would make use/adjustment of rise/fall and shift easier with gloves on. Don't know if substantively that's a reason to upgrade. :rolleyes: But I wouldn't turn it down if it was offered at the time I got my Cambo. Later versions are also better counter balanced to offset the weight of the back. Never really an issue with my Cambo as with the RRS plate on bottom, my Cambo sits on the countertop easily whether the MFDB is attached or not.

Not much really to a pancake camera (aside from movements offered---and all the models have that covered). More important is what you put on the back and front of the camera. And never mind that onlookers shake their heads in disgust if you happen to forego the aesthetically pleasing wood grips...hell, most won't know what the hell you're shooting anyway. I had one lady think I was a surveyor using a leveler with fancy wood grips. :ROTFL:

ken
I came from a Wide DS to the WRS-1200. The difference in size, the latter being much smaller is really great and made using a tech cam a joy. I get the body, back, a couple lenses and accessories into a small pack with ease for those away from the car jaunts. A tripod in hand and the small pack on my back is a breeze (and I even have a minor mobility issue from a spinal cord injury). I also use some small cams but the Cambo kit is for when I want it all.

Since I do a little urban/suburban shooting, I'd thought about grabbing the fluorescent vest and "playing" surveyor just so I won't be disturbed. Figure I could bring a spray can along and make some marks on the road to really play it up!

Since I do a little urban/suburban shooting, I'd thought about grabbing the fluorescent vest and "playing" surveyor just so I won't be disturbed. Figure I could bring a spray can along and make some marks on the road to really play it up!
I like your approach!:)

Because xx50 has wooden grips - the xx00 not. This looks much better. :)
In the moment this applies for 1000/1200 vs 1050/1250. AE-version + 5000 should have wood from ground.

Think about the wood - you are from Canada... ;) I got here cold fingers by using a 1000 in winter - so I had changed to the 1250. :rolleyes:
I'm not much of an outdoor shooter in winter, but it's a good point! :)

ken
So far I see that that extra wood grip budget would be better spent on a lens or digital back. It does look sexy though