The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Leica S or Hassy H4d-40

rollsman44

Any pros and cons with these 2 ? I like them both and would like your opinion. Mainly shoot portraits and Family portraits. Thank you

Shashin

I guess the an important factor for me would be whether the 3:2 or 4:3 aspect ratio works better.

fotografz

I owned both (H4D/40 and Leica S2P) … and used both concurently for about a year: Weddings/Portraits/Fashion/Commercial-Studio. The reason I used both for a while was that I was vested in the H system and had both a H4D/40 and H4D/60 before trying the S as a possible new kit.

I'll start by saying that you can't go wrong with either… however, in the end I moved totally to the Leica S System.

The primary reason was that the S is a dual shutter camera and the H is not. Dual shutter using the Leica CS leaf-shutter lenses allows me to work with lighting up to 1/1000 sync (Profoto AIR) … or with a flip of a switch use the S camera's focal plane shutter up to 1/4000. The H system is strictly a leaf-shutter camera that tops out at 1/800 with or without lighting, and that can be limiting when trying to use faster apertures to isolate the subject in brighter outdoor ambient lighting.

The S is also easier to pack and carry for location work … and in most cases offers faster maximum aperture lenses which I prefer for most people work. Obviously, the exception to this is the Hasselblad HC-100/2.2, but now Leica has the S-100/2 for that sort of application.

From an image quality perspective the H4D/40 and S2 were very close, with the edge going to the Leica which I believe was due to the S lenses. The different aspect ratios didn't really make much difference in real world applications.

The H4D/40 does have the True Focus, Absolute Position Lock (APL) feature which is simply the best off-center auto-focus seem there is IMO. Another strength of the H kit is working in the Phocus software which squeezes out more quality from the Hasselblad files, and is great for when working tethered to a computer. Unfortunately, the tether is FW800 which is fast disappearing from computers.

You didn't mention which S model you are considering. If it is the new S(007) then I think it is a no brainer.

S(007) is a MUCH faster camera, and has a greater dynamic range than the H4D/40 … and would be superb for the applications you outlined IMO. The S(007) is now USB-3, and is probably significantly faster than the H4D/40 when working tethered to a computer (depending on how the computer is configured). I also like that Leica RAW is DNG, and the files and lenses are profiled in Adobe LightRoom (which I use for all my other cameras). The H files can be imported to LR and are also profiled as are all the H lenses … but for the best IQ are better when processed in Phocus … IF you want to learn another software.

Draw back of the Leica is the same as any Leica product … the lenses are expensive if bought new (with fewer CS lenses coming up for sale compared to the H system), so it is easier to find used HC or HCD lenses for the H4D/40 at relatively decent prices (key word: relatively). However, one doesn't move to MFD to turn around and start making compromises:)

Ask any additional questions that come to mind because … "I've been there, done that".

- Marc

rollsman44

I owned both (H4D/40 and Leica S2P) … and used both concurently for about a year: Weddings/Portraits/Fashion/Commercial-Studio. The reason I used both for a while was that I was vested in the H system and had both a H4D/40 and H4D/60 before trying the S as a possible new kit.

I'll start by saying that you can't go wrong with either… however, in the end I moved totally to the Leica S System.

The primary reason was that the S is a dual shutter camera and the H is not. Dual shutter using the Leica CS leaf-shutter lenses allows me to work with lighting up to 1/1000 sync (Profoto AIR) … or with a flip of a switch use the S camera's focal plane shutter up to 1/4000. The H system is strictly a leaf-shutter camera that tops out at 1/800 with or without lighting, and that can be limiting when trying to use faster apertures to isolate the subject in brighter outdoor ambient lighting.

The S is also easier to pack and carry for location work … and in most cases offers faster maximum aperture lenses which I prefer for most people work. Obviously, the exception to this is the Hasselblad HC-100/2.2, but now Leica has the S-100/2 for that sort of application.

From an image quality perspective the H4D/40 and S2 were very close, with the edge going to the Leica which I believe was due to the S lenses. The different aspect ratios didn't really make much difference in real world applications.

The H4D/40 does have the True Focus, Absolute Position Lock (APL) feature which is simply the best off-center auto-focus seem there is IMO. Another strength of the H kit is working in the Phocus software which squeezes out more quality from the Hasselblad files, and is great for when working tethered to a computer. Unfortunately, the tether is FW800 which is fast disappearing from computers.

You didn't mention which S model you are considering. If it is the new S(007) then I think it is a no brainer.

S(007) is a MUCH faster camera, and has a greater dynamic range than the H4D/40 … and would be superb for the applications you outlined IMO. The S(007) is now USB-3, and is probably significantly faster than the H4D/40 when working tethered to a computer (depending on how the computer is configured). I also like that Leica RAW is DNG, and the files and lenses are profiled in Adobe LightRoom (which I use for all my other cameras). The H files can be imported to LR and are also profiled as are all the H lenses … but for the best IQ are better when processed in Phocus … IF you want to learn another software.

Draw back of the Leica is the same as any Leica product … the lenses are expensive if bought new (with fewer CS lenses coming up for sale compared to the H system), so it is easier to find used HC or HCD lenses for the H4D/40 at relatively decent prices (key word: relatively). However, one doesn't move to MFD to turn around and start making compromises:)

Ask any additional questions that come to mind because … "I've been there, done that".

- Marc
Hi Marc, you explained just what I needed to know. I will stick to the H4d and use Phocus. I appreciate all the info you gave me.
Thank you rolls man