The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Lens Caps for Lee Adapter Rings / LEE Filters Lens Hoods?

Hi All,

I finally have my Cambo RS tech camera kit useful again after picking up some new lenses (40, 72, 150). The body has been sitting in a bag for a few years since upgrading from a P45 to P65/IQ180 which made all of my old Cambo lenses useless.

So long story short my old system didn't suffer from the same flare issues...but the new one does. I have a couple of Lee Compendium hoods that take the Lee adapter rings.

I'd love to be able to leave the Lee Adapter rings on the lenses and just place lens caps over the front to save time in the field. Has anyone used the Lee Filters White Adapter Ring Caps MFR#LENSCAP ?

Screen Shot 2015-10-03 at 8.49.13 AM.jpg

Or is there a better way to go?

Just trying to make it as quick as possible.

Thanks in advance!

Jordan

MILESF

These work fine for the Lee 100 system. I've also seen people sue the top of a yogurt pot that is widely available in UK supermarkets whcih seem to do the job at just as well at close to zero cost. I must confess I tend to take off the Lee rings and and put the lens cap back on simply because it makes it easier to fit in my bag.

vjbelle

I think you will find that those white caps are only ones that will fit the Lee rings. I have the Seven5 system which has rings that fit all of my Digitar's however there are no caps available. The overall system is more compact and not quite as costly as the 100 system. If you don't have any lenses larger than 72mm I would recommend the Seven5 over the 100. If I were to initiate the 100 system I would leave the ring on the lens and use one of the dedicated caps. As it is now I purchased UV filters for all of my lenses and leave the rings on the lenses permanently. The lenses are always wrapped when not in use and the glass stays protected.

Victor

Plateau Light

These work fine for the Lee 100 system. I've also seen people sue the top of a yogurt pot that is widely available in UK supermarkets whcih seem to do the job at just as well at close to zero cost. I must confess I tend to take off the Lee rings and and put the lens cap back on simply because it makes it easier to fit in my bag.
Mine fell off easily. Not much material holding them on for hiking use.
I wound up using the ZPro and making lens caps like the P system from white styrene. WAYYY better for dust and backpacking.

Thanks all...I guess I'll buy the Lee caps since they are only $9. But yes, time will tell if they stay on...or if keeping the adapter ring on makes them too cumbersome for packing. :)

Jordan

carl-b

None of mine have ever fallen off and they are now well used. Originally used on my Nikon lenses, then onto mamiya lenses for 3.5yrs and now back onto Nikon lenses. Well worth the money IMO as i always leave the adapter rings on the lenses as i know i have them when i go out shooting. :D

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Ditto - mine have been perfect. In my experience, the only way that they fall off is if you don't put them on properly!

I use these on all of my tech lenses and leave the rings on full time. Also my Phase One lenses.

Dont bother using them for LCC though as the centre has a ring that won't work for that but they do work for white balance like an expo disc if you need it.

They go out of stock regularly so I bought a job lot of 24 a while back and it was a good investment.

Last edited:

Udo

Those caps fit nicely and stay in place as long as they are used on adaptor rings smaller than 95 mm. Those caps do not use the groove which is being used by the filter adaptor, instead they need the undercut which is only given if the lens is of smaller diameter than the adaptor ring being used. If for example the 95 mm adaptor ring is being used on a Hasselblad HCD35-90 lens there is no undercut left and those caps will not grasp around and stay in place.

Regards, Udo

Well my Lee Caps showed up today. Fairly decent fit. Once they are on they actually stay on better than the caps that came with the lenses. There are three plastic prongs or flanges that keep it on...it's easy to get the first two on but you need to tweak it a bit for the last. Truth is even with 2 on it doesn't seem to be going anywhere.

For $10 brand new...I'll give em a shot for a while.

Jordan

Jordanlee-filter-caps-on-a-40mm-hr-rodenstock-jordan-reeder-1.JPG

lee-filter-caps-on-a-40mm-hr-rodenstock-jordan-reeder-2.JPG

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
:thumbs:

One thing to note. They do seem a little temperature sensitive and so I've found them stiffer when used in cold conditions and softer when warm. Nothing significant but you'll notice it as it'll be easier to clip over the third holding ridge. Just something to be aware of so that you always latch them fully on the ring.