The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

The Ultimate for tethering & editing?

jagsiva

Surface Book announced.

Microsoft Reveals the Surface Book

Spec'd up to i7, 16GB, 1TB, super thin and 1.6lbs as tablet. As a laptop adds external GPU, additional battery and full keyboard.

:banghead: but both USB ports are on the base!!!!! So tethering as tablet will be tough.

Lars

Looks pretty sweet. Perhaps not ideal as a tethered tablet then without a USB port in the screen part, a Surface Pro would make more sense? Or just flip the screen over and keep it attached to the base for tethering - a bit heavy then for a tablet but a decent holder/stand could take care of that?

jagsiva

Flipping over an not removing the keyboard would make for a very heavy unit (3.5lbs). The tablet side does have a surface dock port, but then you'll be off to another dongle type solution.

Still a very nice unit, and would have made a true MBR/tablet replacement for me, had it been able to do USB3 as a tablet.

There is the rumoured Dell XPS 12 with 4K (with tiny bezels) coming out this month as well. It will likely not be quite as beefy on power, but does have USBC/Thunderbolt onboard.

gerald.d

The Pro 4 is also going to be available with i7, 16GB RAM, 1TB storage.

Can't help but to wonder what the performance comparison would be between a maxed out Pro 4 and a maxed out Book without the keyboard.

I also can't quite get my head around why they didn't produce a single device.

narikin

the SP4 would be better - USB port on screen unit, makes it work for our needs. Long thread somewhere here about using them for tethering - search for that.

Quite honestly, I'd look for a discounted SP3 now, as those will be great value now discounted, and are basically the same unit, barring a few processor updates. If money is not an issue, get the SP4, loaded with memory!

upgraded my SP3 to Windows 10 this weekend, with no problems.

T.Dascalos

Not Available
I'm really curious how accurately can that (great resolution) screen be color calibrated and how good its anti-glare performance is... How do SP3s perform on the matter?

kdphotography

Fighting glare is the achilles heel of any device screen out in bright sunlight. There are plenty of solutions, including the ever popular five-digit palm, but none that I've found are completely satisfying as a solution. Moving the angle of the screen does help.

kdphotography

...except the Dell XPS 12 tablet has a Core M processor. Anyone?

I don't think this is enough to adequately run a full version of C1 Pro 8.

And I'd rather have full USB3 ports---as a move towards USB3.1

But it looks like manufacturers are starting to move in the right direction.

ken

Last edited:

Don Libby

I looked at the Dell Latitude 12 Rugged Tablet as well until I saw the specs which looked a little too lightweight. Nice concept though.