The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

med format, do we still need ND grad?

Dan Santoso

Hi Guys,

Since i use med format i have never upgrade my filters. Im planning to go to Huang Shan dan yellow mountain in china(avatar location) soon.

Do u guys still use NG grad or just bracket these days. Im thinking to buy some filter at the moment.

I will need new CPL for new 35MM LS as well. It has been very long since i shoot nature. Any feedback will be great.

Thanks,
Dan

Jeffg53

Hi Guys,

Since i use med format i have never upgrade my filters. Im planning to go to Huang Shan dan yellow mountain in china(avatar location) soon.

Do u guys still use NG grad or just bracket these days. Im thinking to buy some filter at the moment.

I will need new CPL for new 35MM LS as well. It has been very long since i shoot nature. Any feedback will be great.

Thanks,
Dan
I haven't used grads for years, other than seascapes. Most of the time the capture has sufficient room but blending is your friend when it doesn't. You really need to go out and try it while you have time to practice. For blending, Sean Bagshaw has a great set of videos.

triangle

I still use grads a lot having moved to MF a couple of years ago. You can bracket and blend but I find it's a lot less work using a grad and getting the image right first time. As I mainly shoot seascapes, they're essential, at least for me.