The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Diffrences between P65+ - IQ160 - IQ260

gmfotografie

sorry for this Is there a huge diffrence in the picture quality between those backs when shooting them with ISO 100 and tethered?
the prices are amazing compared to the new 60 megapixel- backs. but does this affect also the picture-quality if somebody want to use this back only on a tripod for landscape photography?
(want to use a back with a tech camera like cambo or alpa - mostly for stills and landscape)

with 35mm format i often use a 24mm and a 35mm lens on my 5diii (that are my favorite lenses)...sometimes for indoor shooting also the 17mm

Paul2660

In a word, no.

The P65 and IQ160 share the same sensor and image output is identical. The IQ interface is a much better one and if you are considering a tech camera I would give it a serious look. I don't know of any firmware updates on the 160 that were aimed at improving image quality over the output of the P65.

The IQ260 was supposed to add exposure capability up to 1 hour but in reality unless you are shooting in the dead of winter or a refrigerator 30 minutes is the max as beyond that the noise becomes extreme. I have owned both the 160 and 260 and should have kept the 160

The P65 also will not work with the new XF camera another reason that the p65 is selling for considerably less. All IQ backs will work with the the XF.

Paul

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
As per Paul, No. At base ISO you'll certainly find them very very similar. The IQ 260 has better longer exposure which I certainly can attest to vs the IQ160 but at normal exposures and base ISO I saw very little if any difference in quality between them. You can read in to that that the quality was outstanding, surpassed only by an 80mp sensor.

gmfotografie

thank you ... as phase will release the 3rd version of the iq´s, i hope to catch a iq160 for a good price...(and yes, the xf will be system)
2 minutes for long exposure its more than enough... (if i want to go longer i will take the good old trix400 with my 503)

as i have looked on the alpa webpage, it is interessting that a lot of the photographers uses a p45+ back.

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
thank you ... as phase will release the 3rd version of the iq´s, i hope to catch a iq160 for a good price...(and yes, the xf will be system)
2 minutes for long exposure its more than enough... (if i want to go longer i will take the good old trix400 with my 503)

as i have looked on the alpa webpage, it is interesting that a lot of the photographers uses a p45+ back.
Quick note that the IQ160 spec'd max exposure time is 60 seconds at ISO50 at room temperature. It's the IQ180 that is spec'd for 2 minutes. In my testing I'd say you should consider the maximum to be around 40 seconds.

Paul2660

as i have looked on the alpa webpage, it is interessting that a lot of the photographers uses a p45+ back.
The P45+ Is very tech camera friendly as it allows for a lot of movements with the Schneider 28mm 35mm and 43mm lenses. All of which are cheaper than their Rodenstock eqvilents.

Sime downsides are the less than adequate LCD so focus checking is much harder with a tech camera. And the FireWire only interface makes field tethering much less flexible as you can't use a laptop like the surface pro 3. Note search for Ken Doo's blog where he describes his experiences with the S2 and USB3 on the IQ180

Paul

gazwas

The P65+ is a magical back and the output is sublime.

The issue with the P65+ and the rest of the P series is the totally shameful LCD screen (P65+ was released 2008 so think how good the Canon 5Dmk2 was/is). However as a capture device, tethered in the studio you'll never want for anything more just as long as you can still tether with FireWire well into the future.