The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Strap for Phase XF Camera?

Smoothjazz

I have found that the strap from my previous Phase DF camera does not fit into the openings on the new Phase XF camera. Does anyone have any recommendations for a strap for the new camera? I am finding it somewhat risky using it hand-held with no strap.

synn

I tend to not use straps that go into the default strap lugs. Been using a few designs that screw into the tripod socket and love them. I have Arca baseplates with extra tripod sockets on my cameras and the straps screw into them. This way, switching from handheld to tripod mounted only takes a few seconds and there is no strap to foul with tripod movements either.

Custom SLR Glide One Strap with Black C-Loop SSG1B B&H Photo

This is one that I have currently and highly recommend it.

malmac

So I assume you do not get a strap as part of your camera purchase.

I see that an online camera manual has been released - so that is good.

Guess one has to be aware of the assumptions that would be easy to make when purchasing a camera like the XF.

Mal

Smoothjazz

Thanks Don for your thoughtful analysis. Just in case others are not aware, your blog at Ironcreek photography.com has a good review of the Peak Slide strap, and their video on the Peak site has a really good discussion about straps in general, and the Slide in particular. I ordered one!

aztwang

Yea my XF came today and I was very surprised no strap came with it.
Mine will be here on Thurs. I saw Dons review on the Peak and bought it and freak'n love it so I'm not worried about a strap. Great find Don. I'm so stoked that my XF will be here in 36 hours..Dam cant wait.!!

Don

Paul2660

Love the peak designs also. Got to get the Tallic (blue) one to match those blue ring lenses that will be next.

Paul

Last edited:

Don Libby

I've been using the Peak Design for several months now on the XF and highly recommend it. :thumbs:

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
I've been using the Peak Design for several months now on the XF and highly recommend it. :thumbs:
Most units delivered this week include the strap. Previous deliveries are owed a strap, but it may take a few more weeks to fill all of those. Speak with your dealer for details.

kdphotography

The Phase Strap would have to be one helluva strap for me to remove my Peak Design strap from the XF. How about a re-branded Phase Logo on a Peak Design Strap? :D

The XF is a hefty camera, particularly when paired with a lens like the 40-80. The Peak Design strap is a good match for the load.

ken

Don Libby

Most units delivered this week include the strap. Previous deliveries are owed a strap, but it may take a few more weeks to fill all of those. Speak with your dealer for details.
No thank you as I am very pleased with the Peak Design system and doubt that anything P1 will provide will be as comfortable or safe.

Don

Paul2660

Yes, the clip is one thing, you really do want to check to make sure it's locked in. I have 2 of these straps both about 1 month old, so no issues.

By far the weakest link is the small diameter material on the male part of the clip that runs through the holding brackets on a camera body. Peak now states, to watch these over time as they "will fail" over time, i.e. wear out. They appear to be color coded, so you see yellow, then red if on starts to wear.

No doubt you need to check them often, especially if you are out in the woods here things could and will catch on the strap.

As massive as the straps are, i.e. they will not ever break, the attachment design might need a bit of improvement? I guess time will tell.

Paul C

Don Libby

There was a learning curve when it was first released and they did have a problem however it appears they've learned from their mistakes and have made them much stronger/better. The weakest park seemed/seems to be the cable that attaches directly to the camera body; that could become frayed over time. What I normally do is remove the strap prior to putting it inside my case while inspecting the attachments then again after I remove it from the case and reattach the strap. I hadn't seen the early knocks of the system prior to buying it and had decided that I would just keep an eye just in case. What I plan is keeping an eye on the cables for any sign of weakness and replacing the little guys at the first sign. The replacement parts are very inexpensive and I have a couple with me in my bag. I've also decided I like this system well enough to keep using it and have stopped worrying about the what if. My plan is to replace the anchors whether they need it or not at least once every 12-months (they cost $10 for 4 and I feel $2.50 each is well worth the price of admission).

I've had straps fail me before by coming undone at the lug area but thankfully I've always had at least one hand on the camera. Everything in life will eventually fail it's just a matter of when so I keep my eye on the weakest part of my system which happens to be the (any) camera strap.

I've used the manufactures strap as well as custom made ones however this currently beats any design I've used to date.

Just my 2-cents worth...

Don

kdphotography

*wow* temporary hair raise on the Peak Design strap-----until you read the bottom of the article, and see the link that Peak Design addressed the clip deficiency of its initial design. Still pretty unsettling, but I think commendable when a company comes about face and addresses a known issue. Here's the Peak Design solution, which was addressed at the end of 2014: https://www.kickstarter.com/project...rsatile-camera-sling-and-hand-s/posts/1020294

I feel confident about the Peak Design strap on my XF----not that I'd want to have the XF hanging around my neck for extended periods of time anyway!

ken