The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

another phase one lens problem again: focus stuck

Dan Santoso

Hello all,

Yesterday my 240LS gave me error LS which i was able to solve.

Today the 110LS focus got stuck. I was not able to rotate the focus even in manual mode(3/4 of the ring can be rotated, the rest to infinity is stuck). I tried to play around and it was working again for a few minute but now it is stuck again. Autofocus cant focus it tries to rotate but cant.

Have anyone experience this? How do you solve it?

I was beginning to think that phase one lens is not rugged enough. In studio it hardly give me any problem but in a trip inside thinktank lens pouch walking around, result in 2 defective lens.

Thanks

Last edited:

Don Libby

Very interesting...

My 240LS normally stays in the rear of my truck (inside a truck vault) which bounces around on all types of roads when I'm in the Jackson Hole area and so far (going on 3-years) no problems.

I just finished a trip to Moab where I packed in a 40-80LS up to Delicate Arch; the lens was wrapped inside a F/Stop backpack and again no problems.

One lens going bad is a concern however two lenses going belly up is a huge problem. My first two thoughts were anything that's man made can and will give you a problem at some point (all computers will crash and all tires can go flat) however again having two lenses have the same problem is very odd. My second thought was what has your dealer said about this development?

I'd make immediate arrangements to have them sent in to be checked out.

Good luck and keep us posted on the outcome.

Don

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
I was thinking the same thing. I'd check firmware first. Power issues second.

ken
Agreed.

There was an older and short lived firmware which increased the chance of an electrical short in the lens when mounting/unmounting the lens. It wouldn't explain why two lenses now rather than during studio use (unless you recently updated firmware, but not to the latest version). But body firmware/power is definitely worth checking.

It's also possible it's shitty coincidence; the failure rate of the Schneider LS lenses started out a bit high the first year or so they were out*, but in the last few years I've seen only the sort of sporadic failures you expect from any pro grade gear. But this only makes it less likely to have two failures at around the same time, not impossible.

Work with your dealer to see what your best options are.

*Still a low percentage, but a higher percentage than you expect for pro gear

Dan Santoso

I did upgrade latest firmware for IQ180 and Df+ before the trip. The firmware combo was recommended in the release note.

The 110 is okay now. I rotate the ring back and forward and it got unstuck.