The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

One Camera, One Lens

I read/lurk in this section and the similar section on LL with great interest as I get ready to enter Dante's Inferno, LOL. I have a decent idea of what I would like to get into emotionally, then I read something here which makes me think about how it would help me grow -- sometimes it helps me justify my "convictions," other times it makes me question my "emotional tugs." I'm hoping that by reading your responses to the following question(s), it might help me see something to which I have yet to open my eyes. Please note that I am not a pixel peeper in general, and I'm hoping that this does not turn into an overly technical or "a 35FF or MILC will do the same as that at a much lower cost" thread (hence, the Cost/budget not being an issue part). I sincerely thank you in advance.

Cost/budget not being an issue, if you could choose ONLY one camera and ONLY one lens with which to shoot, what would they be, and why? If you would like to share your primary genre of photography, please feel free to include.

Bill Caulfeild-Browne

My Phase One XF with IQ380 back. and the SK 35 mm lens. That's like a 24 mm on a 35 mm full frame - but half the frame is the equivalent of a 70 mm lens at 40 mpx, and a quarter of the frame is still 20 mpx and like 140 mm lens.

(FYI, I have sony a7rII gear which weighs far, far less but I'd still prefer the great big MF sensor. And you did say economics are not a consideration!)

stephengilbert

I think the answers at TOP are interesting as well, and don't lean toward MF.

However, if you only get to have one camera you might pick something smaller for convenience, weight, etc.

If we ignore that, I'd pick an ALPA STC with a 60mm Schneider lens and T/S mount. Pick a back.

However, I'm going to Florida in a couple of weeks, and just taking my Sony RX-1. :)

algrove

As for MF, it would be the Hasselblad SWC. No chance to change lenses just like with a Sony RX1R2 or leica Q except in MF.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
The choices when it comes to this would be very individual, since they will reflect personal needs more than ultimate image quality. Digital MF cameras all represent terrific image quality anyway.

Since I like to shoot film now and then, my choice would be the Hasselblad H5X, the only current camera body with the ability to shoot film as well as digital. It will also accept third party backs, but I don't know what backs are available with the Hasselblad mount nowadays. A Hasselblad back would obviously also be an option.

My chosen lens would be the 100mm f/2.2. Excellent image quality, relatively compact and a fine choice for portraits, which is what I would mostly us that camera for. But to be honest, I would clearly take a second lens, probably the 35mm f/3.5.

synn

One camera, one lens?

Credo 40, 645DF+ bundle with the Schneider 80 LS.
This is probably the most overlooked, underrated lens in MF currently. It might be a "Kit" lens, but its rendering and sharpness is second to none.
Enough talking

The worst kept secret is that there are at least 4 more Mamiya lenses you could get for around USD 300-400 to expand the system. Not as sharp as the Schneiders, but still excellent and have very nice renderings.

If cost is no bar, you could also look at the higher end Credos (CMOS or CCD, depending on which way you swing).

Umm, I think the question that forgot to be asked here is - what will this camera be used for?

Medium format doesn't automatically imply a certain type of camera as smaller formats do; I could recommend you a 645Z, but it has no [modern] leaf shutter lenses or tilt-shift lenses. 'Blads are really nice cameras, but are also on the heavy side and only feature leaf shutters, so no fast focal plane shooting for you (should you need it). Tech cameras are a very unique way of shooting, but they have a whole laundry list of quirks and limitations. I could go on, but decided to just list a small sample for OP to clarify their needs.

Edit: Now that I think about it, a Leica S is probably the most indecision-friendly camera out there due to it's adaptability.

Umm, I think the question that forgot to be asked here is - what will this camera be used for?

Medium format doesn't automatically imply a certain type of camera as smaller formats do; I could recommend you a 645Z, but it has no [modern] leaf shutter lenses or tilt-shift lenses. 'Blads are really nice cameras, but are also on the heavy side and only feature leaf shutters, so no fast focal plane shooting for you (should you need it). Tech cameras are a very unique way of shooting, but they have a whole laundry list of quirks and limitations. I could go on, but decided to just list a small sample for OP to clarify their needs.
I apologize for not clarifying in the original post. I'm not necessarily looking for a specific camera recommendation, perse. I have some limited experience shooting medium format (RZ-67 a couple of decades ago -- I did a lot handheld, so a 'Blad is light by comparison, lol) and even some large format (old Linhof my dad had while I was in high school). I left photography for a long while to pursue another hobby which was more expensive as funds did not permit me to do both. As such, I'm relatively late to digital and currently shoot FF Canon and recently a lot with a few Fuji bodies. As I rediscover my passion for photography, I find myself leaning towards MFD. It's probably not in the best interests of my bank account that the only MFD camera I've played with so far is a XF1/IQ380/IQ350, lol. I rarely shoot landscapes and don't ever see myself shooting with a tech camera, but never say never, right? Some of the amazing images I've seen you guys (and gals) post inspire me to learn how to shoot with one. Though I primarily shoot people, I didn't have a specific use in mind for this camera. Rather the question was posed in the hope that some of the answers might help me see things from another perspective.

Interestingly, I don't see anyone passionate about shooting with their new BSI-sensor FF Sony (excited maybe, but not passionate), for example. I do, however, see people passionate about their P1's, Blads, Leicas, and Alpas. I've also noticed that those who post the images that WOW me the most are the ones who don't pixel peep or get too technical with their justifications. Most of us are lucky that we have more than one "tool" for the things we like to shoot. I thought that by narrowing it down to one capture device and one optic, I might learn something from the combos and corresponding reason everyone chose.

algrove

Interestingly, I don't see anyone passionate about shooting with their new BSI-sensor FF Sony (excited maybe, but not passionate), for example. I do, however, see people passionate about their P1's, Blads, Leicas, and Alpas.
You must not read posts by those of us who are passionate about using our 645Z then.

I rarely shoot landscapes and don't ever see myself shooting with a tech camera, but never say never, right? Some of the amazing images I've seen you guys (and gals) post inspire me to learn how to shoot with one. Though I primarily shoot people, I didn't have a specific use in mind for this camera. Rather the question was posed in the hope that some of the answers might help me see things from another perspective.
Well, if you're looking for a regular SLR-like shooting experience, you've got the two lightweights which are the 645Z and Leica S 007, and two heavyweights, the Hassy H5D and Phase XF1.
Here's fun comparison I've pulled out of my head from what I remember of these cameras or similar ones I've used in their family.

645Z:
+ cheapest body & lenses
+ best 33x44mm Sony sensor
+ weather-resistant body
+ tilt-screen w/16x magnification
- no leaf shutters (just two old manual lenses)
- only T/S lens is Harblei 45mm Super-Rotator
- few modern lenses that make full use of the sensor
- repairs = sent off to Japan

S 007:
+ excellent line of native lenses; leaf shutters available with most models
+ best weather resistance and build quality
+ adapts any medium format lens, some work natively with AF
+ very ergonomic and simple control layout
+ built-in WiFi + GPS
- native lenses fairly expensive
- 37.5mp, 30x45mm sensor may not be everyone's cup of tea
- no tilt-screen, but you could tether a phone or tablet

H5D:
+ "true focus" compensates for recomposing
+ full-frame sensor options and high resolution
+ all lenses feature leaf shutters
+ back can be used on tech cameras
+ less expensive than Phase
- digital backs still have archaic interface
- Phocus software is underwhelming
- uncertain future

XF1:
+ you get to use Capture One
+ wide selection of modern and legacy lenses with and without leaf shutters
+ extensive connectivity options
+ long exposure capability on IQx60 backs
- oi vey, would ya look at the price?

You must not read posts by those of us who are passionate about using our 645Z then.
My bad and my apologies. :facesmack: I didn't realize that the Pentax had a BSI sensor. I was referring to the the new Sony A7 cameras which I often see compared to MFD from a cost vs. performance standpoint and didn't intend to include the 645Z with the group. And yes, I have read the posts by you and others about your Z's. :thumbs: Perhaps I should have included other cameras in the "passion" list such as Pentax, Rollei, Contax 645, Cambo, Arca, etc., however I simply wanted to draw the contrast that I seem to notice and simply used the four brands I originally mentioned as examples.

Last edited:
Well, if you're looking for a regular SLR-like shooting experience, you've got the two lightweights which are the 645Z and Leica S 007, and two heavyweights, the Hassy H5D and Phase XF1.
Here's fun comparison I've pulled out of my head from what I remember of these cameras or similar ones I've used in their family.

645Z:
+ cheapest body & lenses
+ best 33x44mm Sony sensor
+ weather-resistant body
+ tilt-screen w/16x magnification
- no leaf shutters (just two old manual lenses)
- only T/S lens is Harblei 45mm Super-Rotator
- few modern lenses that make full use of the sensor
- repairs = sent off to Japan

S 007:
+ excellent line of native lenses; leaf shutters available with most models
+ best weather resistance and build quality
+ adapts any medium format lens, some work natively with AF
+ very ergonomic and simple control layout
+ built-in WiFi + GPS
- native lenses fairly expensive
- 37.5mp, 30x45mm sensor may not be everyone's cup of tea
- no tilt-screen, but you could tether a phone or tablet

H5D:
+ "true focus" compensates for recomposing
+ all lenses feature leaf shutters
+ less expensive than Phase
- digital backs still have archaic interface
- Phocus software is underwhelming
- uncertain future

XF1:
+ you get to use Capture One
+ wide selection of modern and legacy lenses with and without leaf shutters
+ extensive connectivity options
+ long exposure capability on IQx60 backs
- oi vey, would ya look at the price?
Thank you for the comparison. It is very interesting and informative to see it broken down that way.

My bad and my apologies. :facesmack: I didn't realize that the Pentax had a BSI sensor.
Actually, it doesn't, I think he was referring to something else. The A7RII is the first and only camera with a BSI sensor that big. The 645Z gets all of it's dynamic range and low noise purely from having a relatively large pixel pitch and being based on Sony's latest etching process. There is also something going under the hood, since the Hass/Phase/Leaf versions don't quite hit the same levels, probably due to an emphasis on higher color separation over sensitivity/DR.

jerome

for me, it's rather obvious : just look at my posts :)

Hasselblad D50 and HC 28. When will we have a D120 (for reasonnable price) ? if Canon can do it with a small sensor ...

I've a D800e and nice Nikon lenses, but I use it only if I can't use D50 (touchy enviroment where D50 is not recommended because too expensive and too big). I always prefer D50 files, don't ask me why, but it seems a little bit "flat" to me.

Don Libby

I doubt there's ever such a thing as "One camera - one lens".

If I were writing this 6-months ago I'd offer the Cambo WRS and HR40 lens (pick a back however I happen to like the IQ180). I picked the WRS 8-years ago this month and had been very happy using/shooting it in all climates from hot desert to cold winters of Jackson Hole. Things change.

I've also been using a Phase One DF body with an assortment of lenses until 6-months ago. I've now traded (most) all my prime lenses and use the beautiful 40-80LS along with a 75-150LS (I've been using a 240LS for landscape and with the 2x some wildlife). Then Phase finally released the very long awaited new body the XF and the new 35LS and suddenly things weren't looking the same.

Very long winded explanation however I'm coming to a point here soon...

After 8 years of using a tech camera I've decided the new improvements made by Phase and Schneider made me look at things and I decided to sell the Cambo kit and pick up a new 35LS.

So, to answer this I'd suggest that first this is a very personal choice however for me (a landscape, nature, wildlife photographer) I'd opt for the new XF body, an IQ180 (I've owned the 160 and find the 180 much more to my liking) and for a lens... If I could only have one lens then I'd pick the 40-80LS.

All the above discussion is based on medium format. My other choice on "One camera, one lens" is what I'm currently using to capture infrared; a Sony A7r converted to capture wide spectrum with a FE24-70 lens and a couple extra infrared filters with my current favorite the 830nm.

This again all based on person choice of course.

Don

Lars

Obviously one size doesn't fit all situations.

That said - for meticulous, deliberate landscape photography I'm happy with what I have: Toyo 810G 8x10" monorail matched with my Cooke XVa triple convertible (311/473/646 mm). Granted it's three focal lengths in one, so I guess I'm cheating. :p