The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Phase One PPE News: 3 Lens Updates, XF Body FW Update

strok

I was able to download the updates to my XF and IQ350 quite easily and am pleased that Phase is following through on their commitment to update the platform. The histogram and vibration updates are both welcome. However, I still can't see how to activate the Hyperfocal function.

I followed the instructions for saving (storing) the settings for my SK 35. At f11, I set the focus at a touch more than 5 metres to get the closest focus while objects at infinity are still sharp. The requires 41 units of MCU (Motor Control Units). I touch the Store icon to save the setting.

But then what? How do I use the setting? Going back to Hyperfocal Distance takes me to the input screen. Pressing the shutter simply autofocuses the lens at whatever it's pointing at - in my testing, infinity.

So how do I get the lens to move to the 5 metre setting? Anybody know? (I've asked my dealer and he was a bit puzzled too - but to be fair he hadn't a chance to try the software out yet.)
From manual:
Using the Hyperfocal Point
Once the Hyper Focal point is set, it is possible to select hyper focal mode as an
AF mode (spot, average or hyperfocal). If Hyper Focal is selected, an activation
of the AF button will move the lens to the stored value.
It is highly recommended to assign a different button than the shutter half-press
to “Auto Focus” - this is done with the Rear Key > UI Setup > Control Setup.
The hyperfocal mode is not stored persistently. Once the XF is turned off it
jumps back to the previous value.

Bill Caulfeild-Browne

Thanks Strok - most helpful. And it works!
There was no mention of this in the manual that came with my camera. I'll have to download a later version.
Cheers,
Bill

narikin

The new Blue Ring version is mechanically/aesthetically much improved and provides electronic serialization (not very important for individuals but huge news for rental houses).

The price is the same as the 55LS (non blue ring) version was and simply updates these three lenses to the latest in mechanical design and manufacturing tolerances and electronics.

So basically the lens is improved but the price is unchanged. I have a hard time viewing this as anything but good news for potential end users.
Not wishing to rain on anyone's parade, but just to say I compared this 55mm lens to tech Rodie lenses (the 60mm and 50mm) and it was a dramatic difference in favor of the tech camera. So much so I returned the 55mm Schneider.

Of course it's a different beast, doing somewhat different things. The design is allowing for a mirrorbox of the DF/XF, whereas a tech lens needs none of those compromises. On the other hand a tech lens must have a bigger circle for movements and stitching, and that is a bigger ask.

I own a DF and some Phase lenses, so it's not about being competitive, but really just saying: if your thing is ultimate resolution, a modern Tech camera lens is much superior.

jagsiva

Not wishing to rain on anyone's parade, but just to say I compared this 55mm lens to tech Rodie lenses (the 60mm and 50mm) and it was a dramatic difference in favor of the tech camera. So much so I returned the 55mm Schneider.

Of course it's a different beast, doing somewhat different things. The design is allowing for a mirrorbox of the DF/XF, whereas a tech lens needs none of those compromises. On the other hand a tech lens must have a bigger circle for movements and stitching, and that is a bigger ask.

I own a DF and some Phase lenses, so it's not about being competitive, but really just saying: if your thing is ultimate resolution, a modern Tech camera lens is much superior.
I agree. When I compared the "original" 55LS with the SK60XL, there was a substantial advantage for the SK60XL. When the blue ring lenses were released, particularly the 35LS, things looked promising. I have not used this lens personally, but certainly the posted samples, including those by Doug, looked a lot closer to my 32HR. Certainly enough to make me start thinking if the tech cam was worth the hassle.

This was my main reason for asking if the 55LS Blue Ring was a new design. if it is still the old formula, then I would consider the 60XL to be significantly better.

Paul2660

I agree. When I compared the "original" 55LS with the SK60XL, there was a substantial advantage for the SK60XL. When the blue ring lenses were released, particularly the 35LS, things looked promising. I have not used this lens personally, but certainly the posted samples, including those by Doug, looked a lot closer to my 32HR. Certainly enough to make me start thinking if the tech cam was worth the hassle.

This was my main reason for asking if the 55LS Blue Ring was a new design. if it is still the old formula, then I would consider the 60XL to be significantly better.
I have to wonder if there are sample variation issues on the 55LS? I have seen some excellent examples from this lens and excellent examples from the Mamiya 55AF Lens. Maybe the 55mm LS blue ring construction will cut down on sample variation.

The 60XL is an excellent lens for sure but I feel that there are some 55mm LS lenses that come close. This is on both 80MP and 60MP Phase backs.

Paul

jagsiva

I have to wonder if there are sample variation issues on the 55LS? I have seen some excellent examples from this lens and excellent examples from the Mamiya 55AF Lens. Maybe the 55mm LS blue ring construction will cut down on sample variation.

Paul
Could certainly be the case. The first lens i had was not great, and the second a lot better, but not close to the 60XL. Again, a sample size of two doesn't cut it. If the tolerances are tighter with the new lenses, this is great news.

strok

just curious, is it possible to have an adapter for tech lenses on XF body lets say to be adjusted to infinity?

Paul2660

just curious, is it possible to have an adapter for tech lenses on XF body lets say to be adjusted to infinity?
I don't think this would work. Not sure how you would focus the lens close enough to for infinity due to the mirror box. At least with tech wides.

Also not sure how you would get the shutters to sync.

Paul

Nutcracker

I ordered the XF hoping for more reliable focussing with my LS240, with which focussing on my DF was very hit and miss, sometimes razor-sharp, but too often just frustratingly mis-focussed.
The XF has proved to be superbly reliable focussing the 240, just very very occasionally missing. Have it 2 weeks now.

Shutter delay using the seismograph seems to be very effective, even on the little Gitzo Traveller with Cube.

The updated firmware caused me a brief period of anxiety this morning when the XF froze for 20 minutes during the update process, but as usual with PhaseOne Tech support, all was sorted with advice within 5 minutes of logging my problem.
Removing and re-inserting both batteries (XF & IQ) solved the issue.

New countdown and level on top screen are neat.

For wide work, I am staying with Alpa and tech Sk & Rod.

Dan Santoso

Hi all,

Im agree with the solid build but phase one web says beyond 100mp ready for the future for the 35SK, can you comment on this?

If it is same optically as the old 55mm LS then the 100mp part is not true as it is not superior to the old lens.

Bill Caulfeild-Browne

I think the 35 SK LS and the 120 SK LS (blue ring lenses) substantially reduce the differences. (But I doubt they'd beat tech lenses.)

Dan Santoso

The new blue 35mm SK will not reduce any difference because it is the same optically as 55mm LS.

I was fooled by " blue ring "

Dan Santoso

Narikin,

Do you have comparison you can show us?

Thanks

Bill Caulfeild-Browne

The new blue 35mm SK will not reduce any difference because it is the same optically as 55mm LS.

I was fooled by " blue ring "
I have both the 55 LS and the new 35 LS. Until now, the 55 LS was my favourite and one of my sharpest lenses. But my 35 LS is markedly better. I don't know anything about their respective optical formulae but the 35 is clearly a sharper lens right across the frame.

At least, mine is!

Smoothjazz

I just did the firmware upgrade for my new XF camera, along with my IQ 180 back. Everything worked fine, but while taking pictures today, I find that the images on the LCD screen are all monochrome. Don't get me wrong, I love the black and white effect, but I want to be able to turn it on and off. I searched all the menus, but do not find a screen option that makes it monochrome. Is this a new feature, or did I not do the upgrade correctly somehow?

John