The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Phase One PPE News: 3 Lens Updates, XF Body FW Update

Paul2660

The B&W preview option has been around for a few IQ updates. There is a way to enable / disable it from the back menu. I don't have mine handy but will ck when I do.

Paul

kdphotography

Being able to view images in monochrome was an update added several fw versions ago. It is user selectable. Let's hope it has nothing to do with your FW update!

When viewing an image on your IQ180, in the bottom right corner of the screen is a little bubble dialogue box. Press it. This should bring up several user selectable icons. Top right, are two overlapping B&W circles. toggle it on or off. A green check mark denotes if turned on.

Fingers-crossed----I'll be doing the IQ180 and XF firmware update shortly...

ken

Nutcracker

Being able to view images in monochrome was an update added several fw versions ago. It is user selectable. Let's hope it has nothing to do with your FW update!

When viewing an image on your IQ180, in the bottom right corner of the screen is a little bubble dialogue box. Press it. This should bring up several user selectable icons. Top right, are two overlapping B&W circles. toggle it on or off. A green check mark denotes if turned on.

Fingers-crossed----I'll be doing the IQ180 and XF firmware update shortly...

ken
A few months ago my IQ180 went to B/W suddenly, sorted by "factory reset" in menu as advised by P1 Tech.

Smoothjazz

Ken,

Thanks, I see it now. It was right in front of my eyes and I did not see it. What a great addition to the digital back-I love seeing images in black and white.
It is on the same screen as the live view icon and the delete photo icon.
I wish someone would write a comprehensive technical manual for the XF camera; I would buy one.

John

Bill Caulfeild-Browne

Sadly my XF is on its way back to Phase with what seems to be a shutter problem after only 1200 cycles. The camera operated correctly until a couple of days ago when the screen started showing "Capture Error". Turning off and on again seemed to solve the problem, but a few hours later images did not show up on the back (or in C1). Changing lenses, batteries and CF cards made no difference. I had updated the firmware long before this problem occurred so I don't think it's related.

The back is fine - it shows images from other CF cards that had not been erased or formatted, and even for the blank images the various functions were all functioning except the pix were all black!

I noted that when turning the XF off the mirror did not come up and I think the FP shutter stayed closed - although both responded correctly when I took the back off.

I'll report on what Phase says when I get it back - hopefully very soon!

Dan Santoso

Hi Bill,

I'm sorry for your news but IMHO my experience with Phase One when they first introduce a new body was bad.

It took me 4 different copies when i bought my DF+ when it was released. 1st copy was slow focusing issue, 2nd was dead, 3rd i forgot. We opened brand new boxes, only the 4rd one was good.

They seriously need better QC!!!

Another bad experience I had was broken shutter inside the body and lens. I was shooting in studio when it happened. No reason just broke when i press the shutter. I am sure this was design error or a bug, they never give me explanation whey it happened.

Sadly my XF is on its way back to Phase with what seems to be a shutter problem after only 1200 cycles. The camera operated correctly until a couple of days ago when the screen started showing "Capture Error". Turning off and on again seemed to solve the problem, but a few hours later images did not show up on the back (or in C1). Changing lenses, batteries and CF cards made no difference. I had updated the firmware long before this problem occurred so I don't think it's related.

The back is fine - it shows images from other CF cards that had not been erased or formatted, and even for the blank images the various functions were all functioning except the pix were all black!

I noted that when turning the XF off the mirror did not come up and I think the FP shutter stayed closed - although both responded correctly when I took the back off.

I'll report on what Phase says when I get it back - hopefully very soon!

tjv

If the blue ring 35mm is as good as a perfect copy 55mm LS across the whole frame (or better, as some say,) then it's quite an achievement in my book. Usually the wider you go with SLR designs the worse they get, at least in my experience with Leica M, Nikon and Canon.

Bill Caulfeild-Browne

I'm pleased to say my XF did not have a serious problem. My dealer in Toronto sent me the following note which I'm showing in case others experience the same problem. Seems as if I've not been the only one! (Though I did perform a factory default reset but not as described here.)

Paul2660

The latest firmware for the backs, 6.01.8 seems to have some possible issues in that if applied to a back, in my case a IQ260, and the back is not then powered on attached to an XF, the back can show some errors. In my case, lockup whenever I attempted to change the iso, requiring a power off of the back to free it, but every time I attempted an iso change same problem. Once the back was powered up attached to an XF, problem went away. And has worked fine since.

I tried everything else, reset to original firmware, power off for 5 minutes, etc. But once I loaded 6.01.8, same problem. Note problems may have been addressed in 6.06.5 which seems to be the latest firmware.

Seems to me that there is a lot communication going on now between XF and back, no matter it be IQ1 2 or 3. Hopefully all for the good, but I was surprised that Phase did not note this problem for IQ2 backs, surely it was tested? Again points to possible changes withing the backs over time, EC changes, like with the P45+.

Paul

HELP Upgrade failed Looking for assistance today in NY !

Hello,
I'm in NY for a shooting, especially traveling from Belgium. When I did the firmware upgrade (XF and IQ380), my IQ 380 now gives me black frame. So a possible shutter problem ? I'm in a desperate situation as it's an expensive trip.
I would have better not to upgrade and wait. I tried everything, factory reset, factory default, restore firmware... Anyone could help me ?
I would suggest to carefully think before upgrading, if you really need the new features. For my case it's a financial disaster. Anyone with an IQ 380 or 360 or 280/260 / XF or DF+ (or whatever system provided it works flawlessly) that would be in NY, and would be willing to rent me the body/back, can join me for a free helicopter ride above manhattan tomorrow 8-10am.
If anyone could provide support on how to fix the issue, let me know. After the upgrade, the XF body performed a strange noise, such as an "electronic/electrical noise". The 380 back is draining batteries fast and the back heats up quickly.
antoinerose.com
<<help>> ! My cell: (347) 466-8222

kdphotography

See Bill's post above-----noting how they resolved his difficulties. (Remove everything on reset)

There should be someone around to help in NY....