The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Phase One PPE News: 3 Lens Updates, XF Body FW Update

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Phase One has two announcements this year for Photo Plus: something new and some things blue.

Something New: Phase One XF Feature Update 1 (free firmware update)
- Copyright Embedding
- WLF Focus Confirmation
- Hyperfocal Point Calibration
- Seismograph Based Vibration Mode
- Remote Focusing
- Bullseye Level

Three Blue Ring updates to the Schneider LS Line:
- Schneider 55LS, 80LS, 150LS Blue Ring versions
- Electronically Serialized
- Tighter Tolerances
- Improved Feel
- 5-Year Warranty when purchased w/ IQ3 Kit

Links for more info:
New Schneider Blue Ring LS Lenses - DT Blog
New Phase One XF Firmware - DT Blog

Want to See Them?
We'll have the new lenses and the new firmware at our party tonight (link) and at the Photo Plus Expo at Booth #855 (link).

Questions? Post them here and I can get an answer for you as the morning progresses. Or you can email us at [email protected].

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Any news yet on Credo compatibility, Doug?
Not yet. That requires a firmware update of the Credo rather than an update of the XF.

Phase One has stated that such a firmware update for the Credo will come, but I do not have any update about it at this time.

I'm a bit frustrated a timeline had not been provided.

Last edited:

jagsiva

Are the new 55/80/150 new lenses similar to the 35LS or simply updates on the current ones? Cheers...

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Are the new 55/80/150 new lenses similar to the 35LS or simply updates on the current ones? Cheers...
Same optics. Tighter manufacturing tolerances. No radical improvement in optical quality expected. Notably these are already very good lenses whereas before the 35LS the previous 35mm was only so-so and in much need of an optical update.

The most profound impact of the new Blue Ring versions of the 55/80/150 will be for rental houses and production companies that own multiple bodies/lenses (see article linked in first post about details on serialization). For other users this is less revolution and more evolution; but it is nice to see them continue to invest in upping their game across the board in backs/bodies/lenses.

Last edited:

Dan Santoso

Hi Doug,

Can you tell me what kind of evolution are you talking about?

I bought SK35mm 2 weeks ago. I compare it with 55LS and it only marginally better in the corner while the center looks the same. If this is the future of phase one im ready to jump ship in the future.

I also compare it with pentax 28-45mm with 645Z and the pentax produces indentical sharpness while its being zoom lens and 40% cheaper.

Thanks.

Same optics. Tighter manufacturing tolerances. No radical improvement in optical quality expected. Notably these are already very good lenses whereas before the 35LS the previous 35mm was only so-so and in much need of an optical update.

The most profound impact of the new Blue Ring versions of the 55/80/150 will be for rental houses and production companies that own multiple bodies/lenses (see article linked in first post about details on serialization). For other users this is less revolution and more evolution; but it is nice to see them continue to invest in upping their game across the board in backs/bodies/lenses.

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
I bought SK35mm 2 weeks ago. I compare it with 55LS and it only marginally better in the corner while the center looks the same. If this is the future of phase one im ready to jump ship in the future.
If your 35LS looks anything other than stellar in the corners you should speak with your dealer as it's not performing up to spec.

Even at f/3.5 and with an 80mp full frame sensor the results are excellent. See below tests:
Phase One SK 35mm LS f/3.5 Full Resolution Test - DT Blog
https://www.digitaltransitions.com/blog/dt-blog/35mm-ls-test

Here is one graphic from one of those tests:

Dan Santoso

Hi,

Your samples looks the same as mine BUT my 55LS also looks similar. I am saying it is not a major improvement from non blue ring lens.

Also the zoom pentax 24-45 produces similar result.

I have 4 pentax lens to compares btw with my LS lens, will posts a lot of comparisons later :):thumbup::thumbs:

-Dan

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Your samples looks the same as mine BUT my 55LS also looks similar. I am saying it is not a major improvement from non blue ring lens.
Then we misunderstood each other.

35D --> 35LS Blue Ring = huge optical improvement
55LS --> 55LS Blue Ring = no significant improvement expected, nor required, both excellent
80LS --> 80LS Blue Ring = no significant improvement expected, nor required, both excellent
150LS --> 150LS Blue Ring = no significant improvement expected, nor required, both excellent

Since the 55LS (Blue Ring or non Blue Ring) and 35LS are both excellent lenses there isn't much difference or "improvement" for one over the other.

Keep in mind with your comparisons to Pentax that a 50mp crop sensor does not require nearly as good of a lens as a full-frame 80mp sensor. The 50mp crop sensor is effectively cropping out the parts of the image circle that aren't as strong and is requiring 40% less resolving power than the full 80mp sensor. You could do an apples-to-apples comparison by using your Pentax lens on a full frame 645 80mp sensor but Pentax doesn't have any full frame sensors nor any sensors higher in resolution than 50mp. :) Regardless I look forward to your results!

gerald.d

Pixel size of the 50MP 1.3x crop sensor against the 80MP FF sensor is close enough to be a non-issue.

Same resolving power required for both sensors.

Image circle of course an entirely different issue.

Bill Caulfeild-Browne

I was able to download the updates to my XF and IQ350 quite easily and am pleased that Phase is following through on their commitment to update the platform. The histogram and vibration updates are both welcome. However, I still can't see how to activate the Hyperfocal function.

I followed the instructions for saving (storing) the settings for my SK 35. At f11, I set the focus at a touch more than 5 metres to get the closest focus while objects at infinity are still sharp. The requires 41 units of MCU (Motor Control Units). I touch the Store icon to save the setting.

But then what? How do I use the setting? Going back to Hyperfocal Distance takes me to the input screen. Pressing the shutter simply autofocuses the lens at whatever it's pointing at - in my testing, infinity.

So how do I get the lens to move to the 5 metre setting? Anybody know? (I've asked my dealer and he was a bit puzzled too - but to be fair he hadn't a chance to try the software out yet.)

Dan Santoso

So what parts "ready for the future" improvement do i get from the new premium lens. Blue ring is the top of the line SK. Tell me one reason to buy when it is only slightly better than old 3 years+ 55LS and other non blue ring. Is it the blue ring decoration and new furnish? If this is the best of phase one future im not impress.

-Dan

Then we misunderstood each other.

35D --> 35LS Blue Ring = huge optical improvement
55LS --> 55LS Blue Ring = no significant improvement expected, nor required, both excellent
80LS --> 80LS Blue Ring = no significant improvement expected, nor required, both excellent
150LS --> 150LS Blue Ring = no significant improvement expected, nor required, both excellent

Since the 55LS (Blue Ring or non Blue Ring) and 35LS are both excellent lenses there isn't much difference or "improvement" for one over the other.

Keep in mind with your comparisons to Pentax that a 50mp crop sensor does not require nearly as good of a lens as a full-frame 80mp sensor. The 50mp crop sensor is effectively cropping out the parts of the image circle that aren't as strong and is requiring 40% less resolving power than the full 80mp sensor. You could do an apples-to-apples comparison by using your Pentax lens on a full frame 645 80mp sensor but Pentax doesn't have any full frame sensors nor any sensors higher in resolution than 50mp. :) Regardless I look forward to your results!

Paul2660

With the 55mm LS it appears the blue ring gives you serialization for AF micro adjust with the XF body and they are claiming better and more solid builds thus the 5 year warranty on the blue ring lenses.

I have not seen any pricing but it's safe to assume that the blue ring version will cost more.

Optically the blue ring 55mm is the same as the old lenses.

Phase made a statement of direction to provide serialized AF for a large portion of their lenses.

However it was my understanding that the XF could save settings for 1 55mm regardless of the ring. It would only matter if you owned more than one lens I guess. The XF will keep multiple settings for AF microadjust. The DF+ I believe only holds one at a time. If you put on a different lens and micro adjust it then the previous microadjust setting is lost.

Paul

Bill Caulfeild-Browne

So what parts "ready for the future" improvement do i get from the new premium lens. Blue ring is the top of the line SK. Tell me one reason to buy when it is only slightly better than old 3 years+ 55LS and other non blue ring. Is it the blue ring decoration and new furnish? If this is the best of phase one future im not impress.

-Dan
My understanding is that there is little difference optically but a significant difference mechanically . They are made of premium materials, more robust and with a much shorter rotation of the focus ring to go from closest distance to infinity - thus speeding up focus time. This is true of the SK35 - just about a 45 degree turn instead of at least twice that on the older lenses.

But as my 55 LS is a very sharp lens I won't be changing/trading it!

With the 55mm LS it appears the blue ring gives you serialization for AF micro adjust with the XF body and they are claiming better and more solid builds thus the 5 year warranty on the blue ring lenses.
Isn't the 5-year warranty contingent upon purchasing the lens in a kit with an IQ3 series back?

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
So how do I get the lens to move to the 5 metre setting? Anybody know? (I've asked my dealer and he was a bit puzzled too - but to be fair he hadn't a chance to try the software out yet.)
Set the autofocus mode to Hyperfocaland tap the AF button.

- - - Updated - - -

Isn't the 5-year warranty contingent upon purchasing the lens in a kit with an IQ3 series back?
Correct. 5 year warranty, including loaner back when purchased as part of an IQ3 kit.

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
So what parts "ready for the future" improvement do i get from the new premium lens. Blue ring is the top of the line SK. Tell me one reason to buy when it is only slightly better than old 3 years+ 55LS and other non blue ring.
I'm *not* telling you to buy one. I'm saying very clearly that the 55LS and 55LS Blue Ring use the same optics. If an individual already owns a 55LS then I would not suggest, generally speaking, buying a 55LS Blue Ring (possible exception for users that are really rough on their lenses and would benefit from the improved mechanics or rental houses that would benefit from serialization).

The new Blue Ring version is mechanically/aesthetically much improved and provides electronic serialization (not very important for individuals but huge news for rental houses).

The price is the same as the 55LS (non blue ring) version was and simply updates these three lenses to the latest in mechanical design and manufacturing tolerances and electronics.

So basically the lens is improved but the price is unchanged. I have a hard time viewing this as anything but good news for potential end users.

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
However it was my understanding that the XF could save settings for 1 55mm regardless of the ring. It would only matter if you owned more than one lens I guess. The XF will keep multiple settings for AF microadjust. The DF+ I believe only holds one at a time. If you put on a different lens and micro adjust it then the previous microadjust setting is lost.
DF+ = only one global micro adjust setting
XF with any lens = one micro adjust setting per lens model*
XF with Blue Ring LS lens = individualized micro adjust settings based on serial number

*Technically it is based on lens model, not on focal length. The difference being that if you had a Schneider 55mm LS (non Blue Ring) lens and a Mamiya 55mm AF lens you could micro adjust them separately even though they share a focal length. Obviously the distinction here is not likely to matter for most users and very few users have more than one lens of each focal length.

I'm *not* telling you to buy one. I'm saying very clearly that the 55LS and 55LS Blue Ring use the same optics. If an individual already owns a 55LS then I would not suggest, generally speaking, buying a 55LS Blue Ring (possible exception for users that are really rough on their lenses and would benefit from the improved mechanics or rental houses that would benefit from serialization).

The new Blue Ring version is mechanically/aesthetically much improved and provides electronic serialization (not very important for individuals but huge news for rental houses).

The price is the same as the 55LS (non blue ring) version was and simply updates these three lenses to the latest in mechanical design and manufacturing tolerances and electronics.

So basically the lens is improved but the price is unchanged. I have a hard time viewing this as anything but good news for potential end users.
Being the newb that I am to to the MFD thing, my viewpoint is somewhat limited, however, having handled two of the now five "Blue Ring" lenses, I feel that they are very well constructed and seem to be substantially more "solid" than the lens line they are replacing -- like I could use them to hammer nails to hang my mounted photos.