The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Alpa e-finder app - any user feedback?

narikin

Anyone using the Alpa e-finder II app on their iPhone as a 'directors finder' or whatever?

just wanted some user feedback, as to whether its worth the time and bother, or not really.

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
I use it extensively although not often mounted on the tech camera body. Yes, it's a very useful app plus you can frame back/lens and take image with gps locations for review later too.

For the price of a Starbucks coffee break its a bargain. I use the Alpa version because of real lens definitions and the option of using movements too. (Less useful if not mounting the iPhone on the camera).

narikin

I use the Alpa version because of real lens definitions and the option of using movements too. (Less useful if not mounting the iPhone on the camera).
Thanks Graham - I'm confused - there's 2 versions - Alpa and generic/non Alpa?

I am told you can set it up to show the view for (e.g.) a 4 way Alpa Max stitch with your particular lens and Phase back size, etc, - is that correct?

GrahamWelland

Yes there are two versions of the software - Alpa eFinder II and also the Artist's Viewfinder Mk II. It's the same software except that with there are camera pack add-ons that you can buy to bring them to the same level with Alpa / Rodie / SK lenses and also movements. I've had it so long that I can't remember how it ships as standard but IIRC the Alpa version doesn't have all the dslr/35m etc cameras but the camera pack adds all of that.

You can dial in movements but only one set at a time. i.e you can't frame the entire 4 stitch you mentioned for the Max at once but you can visualize each of the four movements independently with shift/rise etc.

Here's an example from today without the movements:

Stephan S

While there are no default settings for two or four frame stitches on the Artist's Viewfinder Mk II, it is possible to preview stitches using "real lenses" using the app. I use an IQ 260 and Alpa max and I set up a custom digital back size of 75x100 to represent 4 frames stitched with 5mm overlap. Once you have that set up as a new camera you can choose your lenses and it will calculate the rest. Big thanks to Hans at Alpa on helping me set this up!

I just got back from a week on the road using the app, and I have to say, it was indispensable. I used it hand-held to location scout, sketch, compare compositions, preview my lenses from multiple cameras as well as the stitching configurations for each. The GPS map pins are also very helpful and very easy to find!

The hardest part of working with MF for me was deciding what's worth all the trouble of setting up a shot, and staying light enough on my feet to frame up a nice angle without succumbing to myopia or falling into overly stiff compositions. So, having something to sketch with really helped me stay loose.

few catches... If you own lenses wider than 50mm you will likely need the added wide angle lens attachment. I opted to use it without the added lens. It's much easier to pocket that way. I also did not find a way to zoom into the captures in review mode to inspect details.

In terms of frame accuracy mounted on camera the apps weren't accurate enough for my use. I've tested the Artist's viewfinder, the Alpa E-finder version and most optical finders as well, I prefer to confirm final compositions on the DB or preferably on a large tablet or monitor.

GrahamWelland

:thumbup: Great idea on using a custom sensor size for stitch visualization. I'm setting mine up for that right now.

For wide angle visualization I can highly recommend the Alpa case/lens on a regular iPhone 5 and on my iPhone 6+ I use an iPro Lens case and wide lens which works wonderfully (plus I use the other lenses with the 6+ generally).

anyone

This is a really old thread - but I have a question to this application: are people still using it? Is there a way to find out whether I need an additional lens to simulate the 43XL on my Iphone SE 2nd gen?
Thank you!

stevieg

Not sure what the widest your SE 2nd gen will go to, but I've got the 14pro and can switch to "wide" in the "Q" setting and it seems to utilise the wide angle lens on my phone, with no lens adapter needed. This covers 35mm XL, so would be fine for the 43XL. I don't have any other/wider lenses.

Paul Spinnler

The great thing about the e-finder is that one can set custom sensor sizes – ie total FoV in a stitch scenario – which is uniquely useful if you say want to simulate the FoV of a three-way stitch with the 90mm HR-SW

dchew

I use mine all the time, including the custom sizes for stitching. iPhone 14pro so I’m not sure about your 43xl question either. 35xl works fine with the 14’s lenses.
Dave

jng

On my iPhone 12 Pro, which has three lenses on the back camera, with the Mark II Viewfinder eFinder I can get coverage of my wide angle lenses in "wide" mode, including when using a 40mm lens my custom 40 x 84mm sensor profile that I use to frame out stitched compositions employing +/- 20mm shift on the IQ4 150 (cf note from @dchew above). Wide mode also accommodates a 21mm lens field of view on the cropped 33 x 40 mm sensor Hasselblad X cameras. I'm not sure how the camera is configured on the iPhone SE but I'm guessing that any iPhone with three lenses on the back (or maybe two, with one being wide angle) should work OK. And 2X mode affords a more user-friendly view for telephoto lenses as well.

John

Last edited:

anyone

Thank you for your insights! Sadly, the Iphone SE 2nd gen has just one lens which is about 28mm small frame equivalent, hence it does not seem to support the wide angle lenses. With the next upgrade of my phone it seems to be worthwhile to get the application.

While there are no default settings for two or four frame stitches on the Artist's Viewfinder Mk II, it is possible to preview stitches using "real lenses" using the app. I use an IQ 260 and Alpa max and I set up a custom digital back size of 75x100 to represent 4 frames stitched with 5mm overlap. Once you have that set up as a new camera you can choose your lenses and it will calculate the rest. Big thanks to Hans at Alpa on helping me set this up!

I just got back from a week on the road using the app, and I have to say, it was indispensable. I used it hand-held to location scout, sketch, compare compositions, preview my lenses from multiple cameras as well as the stitching configurations for each. The GPS map pins are also very helpful and very easy to find!

The hardest part of working with MF for me was deciding what's worth all the trouble of setting up a shot, and staying light enough on my feet to frame up a nice angle without succumbing to myopia or falling into overly stiff compositions. So, having something to sketch with really helped me stay loose.

few catches... If you own lenses wider than 50mm you will likely need the added wide angle lens attachment. I opted to use it without the added lens. It's much easier to pocket that way. I also did not find a way to zoom into the captures in review mode to inspect details.

In terms of frame accuracy mounted on camera the apps weren't accurate enough for my use. I've tested the Artist's viewfinder, the Alpa E-finder version and most optical finders as well, I prefer to confirm final compositions on the DB or preferably on a large tablet or monitor.
This is obviously asking a lot but can you set up a "virtual sensor" and still get an approximate "shift" representation?

Godfrey

Thank you for your insights! Sadly, the Iphone SE 2nd gen has just one lens which is about 28mm small frame equivalent, hence it does not seem to support the wide angle lenses. With the next upgrade of my phone it seems to be worthwhile to get the application.
Moment makes additional lenses which can be added to nearly any smartphone. Their accessory lenses are top notch, and their case properly aligns the optical axes for different smartphones. Their Pro Camera app allows capture in JPG, raw, and HEIC formats, for maximum versatility.

I believe they have a case for the SE model, at least the second gen SE and later. I use the 18mm and 58mm lenses with their case (and of course with a tripod a good bit of the time) with my iPhone 11 Pro when want to carry a minimum of gear and still get excellent photos. (The 11 Pro has the triple camera setup, and the in-built ultrawide is about the same FoV as the "normal" camera with the 18mm lens, but the in-built ultrawide cannot save in raw format, so there's an advantage to using the 18mm lens on the normal camera.)

G