The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Phase One P40+ / 645DF moving to Leica S6

6x6

So I have been using a phase system for the past 8 years. Started with the p30 and gradually moved to the p40+. I'm using the system primarily for portraiture. Studio and environmental. I don't tether too much. Primary lenses are the 80mm, 110mm and 150mm. I also use an alpa tc with a 47mm digitar for wider work. My biggest issue is with the 645df camera. It really is a crutch. I'm disappointed with phases decision not to support the p series backs and have been researching the Leica s2 006. My current thinking is to move over to the following kit:

Leica s2 006; 45mm; 70mm; 100mm; and 120mm

I have a couple of questions that I'm hoping someone could help me with.

1. how does the sensor stack up against the p40+ at iso below 400?
2. I'm prepared to loose a bit of tech camera quality by moving to the Leica 45mm rather than the Schneider 47mm, but how close does the 45mm get to a tech camera lens?

My primary rationale for moving is the versatility of the s2 and quality of the lenses, coupled with the nicer setup for environmental portraiture. I'm of the opinion that 40mp is the perfect mix, so more mp is not really a consideration for me.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

jerome_m

1. how does the sensor stack up against the p40+ at iso below 400?
Why would there be any difference? The two sensors are basically the same technology.

2. I'm prepared to loose a bit of tech camera quality by moving to the Leica 45mm rather than the Schneider 47mm, but how close does the 45mm get to a tech camera lens?
I would not expect the Leica to be any worse. Besides the Leica is faster.

Jay Emm

..I'm of the opinion that 40mp is the perfect mix, so more mp is not really a consideration for me...
I tend to agree. Big enough to crop, small enough to be manageable in post processing (and speed to workflow when shooting/reviewing too).

Note also, the Leica sensor is physically slightly smaller, and this means the aperture does not have to be closed as much to increase DOF - so less supporting light required (according to Leica brochure)

jerome_m

I would not expect the Leica to be any worse. Besides the Leica is faster.

I had the curiosity to download the MTF curves published by the manufacturers. It would seem that the Leica lens is the sharpest lens at the same apertures.

6x6

I had the curiosity to download the MTF curves published by the manufacturers. It would seem that the Leica lens is the sharpest lens at the same apertures.
Thank you for doing that @jerome_m . Thats very good to know. My original concerns lay in the fact that the TC / 47mm setup didn't have a mirror producing vibration, whereas the S 006 did. I should disclose that much of my TC / 47mm work is handheld, so I would be employing the mirror if I used the S 006.

Also I appreciate that the S 006 and P40+ both used CCD technology, but I was intrigued as to whether their outputs were approximately the same. I guess they may well be.