The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Schneider 60XL on 60mpx chip (Credo60/IQ160 etc) samples

torger

I've got back my lens now from Schneider-Kreuznach so I have two SK60XL to play with. I shall do the test with combining back/front differently, and probably test another Copal. There's lot of stuff going on now though, so there'll be a few days before I have any results.

vjbelle

My one experience with S/K / Alpa didn’t exactly leave me enamored with their quality control. Sent three lenses via a dealer to Alpa for remounting. S/K does this, so they forwarded them. When I got them back there were obvious issues with a couple of them. The packing of the lenses left a lot to be desired as well; they had simply reused my original packing without removing foam to account for the additional helicals and mounts, so everything was crammed in really, really tight. This all said to me that no one at S/K checked the work done, and that subsequently the lenses were never inspected by Alpa or the dealer I used. Given the cost, this was disappointing to say the least.
Given the tremendous expense for either purchasing a new Alpa mounted lens or having a lens remounted by them the QC - or lack of - leaves much to be desired. For all of that money there should never be an unhappy Alpa lens owner. However there are many which caused me to leave Alpa for good. Rody or Schneider lenses in Copal shutters can be bought new at unbelievable savings compared to the same lens in an Alpa mount. This is not to say that I haven't had issues with those lenses...... I have. I sent two of them back to Schneider (directly) and they were fixed.... first time. What is more interesting is that it was always the Copal and never the lens elements themselves. All of this took a little time but I have seven Schneider lenses that are all in satisfactory alignment. And..... I am at least $10,000.00 dollars, and still counting, richer.

Victor

Last edited:

torger

I've now redone all testing with both lenses, and also combination front/back of them. I now get better results, and I'm pleased with the results. It's not perfect and still some left/right variation, but it seems to correspond to what good copies of this lens should deliver.

The worst case now is about the same as the best case in my previous test run.

So what's the difference? I've changed lens board on my lens (which was skewed according to Schneider-Kreuznach's testing), but I also get better results from the loaner lens, and that I don't really know why which is a bit frustrating. Keep in mind though that a view camera like the Techno is not a very suitable lens testing unit as it's very difficult to repeat settings, and there are many mistakes that can be made. My guess is that it's about focusing, the left-right variation is exaggerated if you happen to place focus a little bit off, not enough to be visible in center but due to some curvature etc noted more when shifted. Pure speculation though, and I won't care to find out because I sick tired of testing lenses, I really dislike doing it...

Anyway, I'm now pleased with the performance, I'll return the loaner and keep my lens on the new lens board.

Attachments

tjv

They look about the same to me, with the loaner lens softer / sharper on different sides than yours. Either way, it's negnifible.

So I'm clear, have you put the sliding back in a shift position, then shifted the lens an additional 10mm?

dchew

Good news Anders. I'm glad it worked out for you. I I cannot shift that far so I have nothing to compare it to, but as you know I have been very happy with this lens.

Dave