The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Phase One and Rain

smhoer

Can anyone answer this one from their experience with Mamiya and Phase One? I will be in Big Sur next weekend and the forecast is for some rain storms. My last 7 years has been shooting with weatherproofed Nikon and Canon gears. In the past I just did my best to keep the gear covered while shooting in mist or very light rain. Now that I have switched to MFD (AFDII and P45) I am wondering if I need to change my shooting habits. I plan to keep the body and lens covered while hiking and, if misting, keep it covered with plastic while shooting. Has anyone had any bad experiences in damp or misty conditions that should make me change my mind?

Don Libby

Hi Scott

I shot right on the beach a couple weeks ago while in Northern CA in a slight drizzle using my Phase AFD and P45+ and had no problems. While this isn’t as weather proofed as say a Canon 1Ds you really shouldn’t have too much of a problem. I will admit to taking my scarf off from around my neck and putting it around the camera and lens.

I’ll be in the Big Sur area next week as well and foresee no major problems with the weather. I’ve used this same gear in snow, rain, and blowing dust without a moment of trouble. Remember the Phase backs are built like a tank!

Don

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Ditto. Wouldn't shoot in a downpour without covering it up, but we shot several times on the Moab trip in drizzle or slushy snow and nobody reported problems with their Phase or Hassy MF rigs.

kdphotography

Scott,

One thing to keep in mind is that the weather conditions here on the central coast can change rapidly, and we also have micro-climates. In other words, areas that may be foggy in one area, are completely clear only a few miles down the road. It makes it very challenging to forecast the weather conditions---and often the forecasts are completely wrong.

For example, the forecast was for rain through the weekend----instead we have two completely clear and sunny days, and now only a *chance* of showers Sunday. Huh? Yup---keeps you on your toes....

Expect a mix.

smhoer

Thanks Guys!
If anyone is shooting at Garrapata, Pfieffer Beach or other Northern Big Sur areas and sees someone shooting MFD next Sat, Sun and Monday that would be me. Come say hello or maybe meet me for dinner at Nepenthe. I am staying Fri/Sat at Big Sur and Sund in Carmel.

eleanorbrown

Scott, I photographed in Olympic National park about 3 years ago with an H2 and P45+. It rained every day most of the day for 5 days or so. I hiked and photographed in the rain.....I used a kata rain cover but with that much rain and humidity, the camera and back and lens got very wet. Never had any problems which speaks well for the Phase backs. Eleanor

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
There are small rubber port covers that we sell that will cover the sync port, multiport, and firewire port. Since those are otherwise exposed to the outside I would invest in a couple of those (they are easy to lose so buy a few).

The P65+ also now has a swinging door which covers the firewire port while not in use.

Once those ports are covered the only way for rainwater to enter the back would be through the CF card door on the side. If you take a glance at the design of this door it is pretty hard to imagine anything but a strong stream of water actually making it through. If you're extra concerned you could tape this door closed.

Humidity, heat, and cold is not really a concern even in extreme environments and in two years I've only had one customer with a repair/damage because of weather and that was a customer who dropped a back in the ocean water, so I can tell you for sure that backs do not fair well when fully submerged in salt water. Otherwise a Phase One back is, as Don said, a tank.

Doug Peterson, Head of Technical Services
Capture Integration, Phase One & Canon Dealer | Personal Portfolio

P

park

Maybe you're referring to my P45+ back that died.

I was shooting from a rock platform and had organised talent in the water for the shoot. The models splashed a bit and that is the most likely cause to how my P45+ was rendered useless. In fact I am not 100% sure how it got salt damage but in my case was definitely NOT dropped in salt water or submerged, I hadn't even noticed it was wet !! By the time we moved to the 2nd location it stopped working which left my wondering how and why it all happened. I sent it to Phase to get fixed, but Phase have sent it back saying its not covered which is fair enough I guess, and secondly its a total write off. I was stunned at how easily it became damaged. It was the first shoot I'd done near salt water for a long time and would dismiss build up or some other explanation. I also had my Apple laptop tethered, Bron flash gear and my Hasselblad camera which are all still working fine.

Unlucky ?

Anyway - IF my insurance company decides to pay ( have been over 2 months with them um'ing and ah'ing probably about an 'action of the sea' clause) then should I rebuy a Phase. I had pro warranty and a specified insurance policy yet here I am 3 months after the day it died shooting on a 5D markII for the majority of my work - which is not fantastic when you're used to MF systems, fussy clients and am left quite out of pocket!!

I thought Phase might have been more willing to help since its a tuff market for MF digital...

Clawery

Thanks Guys!
If anyone is shooting at Garrapata, Pfieffer Beach or other Northern Big Sur areas and sees someone shooting MFD next Sat, Sun and Monday that would be me. Come say hello or maybe meet me for dinner at Nepenthe. I am staying Fri/Sat at Big Sur and Sund in Carmel.
Scott,

Ken, Don and I will be in and around the Big Sur area at the same time you'll be visiting. I'll coordinate with the guys about meeting up.

Chris Lawery
Capture Integration
(404)234-5195