The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Leaf Aptus-II 7 Back Latch

Pelorus

I haven't had this back for very long - it's on an Alpa STC. When I first got it I noticed that my right thumb sat against the latch for the back when I held the camera. I made a mental note to stay away from the latch.

Unfortunately my thumb naturally lies against the latch, despite my best efforts. You can see where this is going can't you? I was sitting on a bench to take a photo and received a phone call. I swung to the left and put the camera down on the bench to retrieve the phone from my pocket. As I did so I depressed the latch the the back gracefully fell backwards off the camera onto the bench. I hardly knew what had happened. I'm still recovering from the palpitations however.

So I've now done what I should have done in the first place. Given that I remove the back and the adaptor together most of the time I don't need the latch in daily use so it now sports a cable tie on the shaft of the latch. It can't be actuated without removing the cable tie - cutting it off. The picture below shows in blurred iPhone fashion how it works. It also shows all of the dust that you never see in daily use :)

cabletie2.JPG

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
I can relate. That said the latch on my Aptus 65M isn't a loose connection. Tethering the back and the body isn't a bad idea at all.

I can share the results of when an Aptus and Alpa back plate meet in all the wrong places ...

Pemihan

I once accidental depressed the latch on my Aptus-II 7 which was mounted on my Cambo rig. It fell off and for a second dangled from the sync cable before falling to the ground. Luckily the ground was soft desert sand and the back landed sensor side up, so after a dust off it was all good to go again - no damage done.

A great back by the way, I often miss it...

Peter